Ultegra 6800 11-Speed...it's here!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great. 10 speed Ultegra 6700 will be cheaper and I can upgrade without breaking the bank!

OK, seriously I never needed more that 2x10 speeds. I don't get this craze for 2x11 speeds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Nice. Looks like my wife's new bike will have 6870 then....

Sep 2007
    Nice scoop - thanks for the links!
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Re: Ultegra 6800 11-Speed...it's here!

Quote Originally Posted by CAADEL View Post
    Great. 10 speed Ultegra 6700 will be cheaper and I can upgrade without breaking the bank!

OK, seriously I never needed more that 2x10 speeds. I don't get this craze for 2x11 speeds.
    You mean 11 speed like Campy has had for years?

Someone has said "I don't see the need for..." since 5 speed changed to 6 speed. Still just as silly.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    That is why the UCI is so awesome! They try to contain technological advancement so we can ride the same bikes forever.
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post

Someone has said "I don't see the need for..." since 5 speed changed to 6 speed. Still just as silly.
    Yes like Campy has had for years.

I have a 50-34 and a 10-speed 12-23 cassette, so no gaps between gear ratios. I can climb up to 15-17% hills and go downhill faster than 35mph. So what am I missing? Certainly not another gear.

I'm not talking about 8 or 9 speed cassettes. I'm specifically talking about 10 speed cassettes. If you are fat enough to need a 22/36 gear ratio to go uphill, then no 11-speed or 12-speed of infinite-speed cassettes will make you better and faster. But it is silly for anyone to think so.
    Anyway, it's your money and you spend it as you like. Corporations always need money to invest and innovate. Please help them while I'll be riding my 2x10-speed bike. Thanks!

Yes like Campy has had for years.

I have a 50-34 and a 10-speed 12-23 cassette, so no gaps between gear ratios. I can climb up to 15-17% hills and go downhill faster than 35mph. So what am I missing? Certainly not another gear.

I'm not talking about 8 or 9 speed cassettes. I'm specifically talking about 10 speed cassettes. If you are fat enough to need a 22/36 gear ratio to go uphill, then no 11-speed or 12-speed of infinite-speed cassettes will make you better and faster. But it is silly for anyone to think so.
    Anyway, it's your money and you spend it as you like. Corporations always need money to invest and innovate. Please help them while I'll be riding my 2x10-speed bike. Thanks!
    As a matter of fact, I AM "fat" enough to need something other than an 11-23 to climb hills. My Campy-equipped Cyfac with 12-29 11 speed helps me do that. I don't give a crap about "better and faster", I care about having logical steps between gears which is even more important with a wide-range cassette.

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    As a matter of fact, I AM "fat" enough to need something other than an 11-23 to climb hills. My Campy-equipped Cyfac with 12-29 11 speed helps me do that. I don't give a crap about "better and faster", I care about having logical steps between gears which is even more important with a wide-range cassette.
    I guess wide range 11-speed cassettes are for fat people!
    Thankfully I'm not in your shoes to need 12-29. Great! I can save some money!

Sep 2007
    10-speed 12-23 cassette, so no gaps between gear ratios.
    You actually need 12 speeds for this statement to be true. You'll probably get the option to upgrade to that in about 2020.
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

RoadBikeReview Member
    Giro D'Italia 2010: Stage 16 Results | Cyclingnews.com

"I took it easy when it wasn't steep and I sprinted when it was hard," Garzelli said. "For the gravelled road the smallest possible gear: 34x29. When I saw my time at the finish, one minute behind Pellizotti's two years ago, I thought I had done really well. Maybe the GC contenders have started too strong on the Passo Furcia."

A Story of Love
    Nice thread, krtassoc. I started a similar one in Components/Wrenching, unaware 'til now of yours.

Props on your Googling skillz.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SS: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

A Story of Love

True dat. But thing is, there DOES come a point of diminishing (and eventually no) returns. You see it coming, I'm sure.

Are we there yet with 11-speed? I dunno. Feels like we're getting close though.

I guess with mega-range cassettes becoming newly popular for road-riding (11-32 and the like), and also the traditional issues of some ppl 'wanting it all' (i.e. "I gots to have an 11t, and an 18t, and oh yeah, some really low gears for climbing... on a DOUBLE"), one could make an argument that we're not there yet.

What's the limit? Well, racers and racer-wannabees often insist they don't need anything beyond an 11-23 (even though some guys in the Giro use 34x29 and the like in the mountains), so I guess you could have a 13-speed straight-block. Beyond that, it'd just be extra weight and unused/almost-never-used extra cogs.

Of course, there'll always be some nimrod out there who'll want an 11-36 with small jumps throughout... what would that look like? 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-25-28-32-36... 15-speed. Wheee.

A light/cheap/reliable CVT system can't come soon enough.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

A Story of Love
    Quote Originally Posted by vhk30 View Post
    Giro D'Italia 2010: Stage 16 Results | Cyclingnews.com

"I took it easy when it wasn't steep and I sprinted when it was hard," Garzelli said. "For the gravelled road the smallest possible gear: 34x29. When I saw my time at the finish, one minute behind Pellizotti's two years ago, I thought I had done really well. Maybe the GC contenders have started too strong on the Passo Furcia."

Giro mountain stage TT winner using 34x29? Kinda blows up this statement :

Quote Originally Posted by CAADEL
    I guess wide range 11-speed cassettes are for fat people!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I'm surprised this is announced on a Tri website but there's nothing on cyclingnews or velonews.

Sep 2007
    The mainstream outlets are likely under a press embargo. i.e. they've seen the new stuff, written it up but waiting for the official launch date. They won't get early access if they mess with the Shimano machine. Other, less official, sites have probably jumped the gun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a 50-34 and a 10-speed 12-23 cassette, so no gaps between gear ratios. I can climb up to 15-17% hills ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Giro mountain stage TT winner using 34x29? Kinda blows up this statement :
    I don't think so:

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/giro-ditalia-2010/stage-16/results
    [/url]]
    The key to performing well in today's stage was consistency; as riders faced 12.9km of climbing at an average gradient of 8.2 percent that maxed out at a ridiculously steep 24 percent
    How often in your life do you climb 24% hills? I guess if and ever am going to go to the steepest Italian slope there is for the Giro, I'll have to buy this uber-cool 11-speed gruppo and have 28t or 29t to climb unrealistic 24% grades.

But I agree for the need of a super light CVT for road bikes. That would be a revolutionary piece I'd love to buy.

A Story of Love
    How often in your life do you climb 24% hills? I guess if and ever am going to go to the steepest Italian slope there is for the Giro, I'll have to buy this uber-cool 11-speed gruppo and have 28t or 29t to climb unrealistic 24% grades.
    Yah, but by the same token, how often in your life do you have the power-to-weight ratio and VO2 max of a Giro mountain TT stage winner?

Hint: You don't.

So, it's far from crazy that someone, even a non-fat someone, would go get a wide-range cassette for their local steeps, even if they don't quite measure 24%.

And FYI, the Sierra Nevadas aren't too far from where I live, and there are significant stretches of 20% over there. There's also a climb right here in the Bay Area (Bohlman-on-Orbit) that has a max grade of 22%.

Perhaps you live in Florida or something, but in significant parts of the country, grades like that are not unheard of.

But I agree for the need of a super light CVT for road bikes. That would be a revolutionary piece I'd love to buy.
    Yes, I hope for that too. Certainly long before we get to something like 14-speed cassettes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post

Yes, I hope for that too. Certainly long before we get to something like 14-speed cassettes.
    No, Shimano has had a 14sp patent for many, many years so we will see 14sp and then CVT.
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

A Story of Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV View Post
    No, Shimano has had a 14sp patent for many, many years so we will see 14sp and then CVT.
    Yah, I'm aware of that patent. But simply because Shimano has said patent doesn't mean that product will ever see the light of day.

Think about a scenario (probably way down the road) where a competitor has a [good] CVT system... what is Shimano going to do, try to flog 14-speed just so they can do two upgrade cycles, and then wind up watching their competitor eat their lunch?

(since we're having fun speculating on the future, I'd guesstimate the progression as this:

11-speed (now)
    12-speed (Campy in 2-3 years, Shimano & SRAM in 5-6 years)
    14-speed and/or CVT (over a decade away, likely)
    Road goes to 135mm dropout spacing eventually, couldn't tell you when

Why no 13-speed? 'Cuz, silly as it sounds, plenty of ppl have a problem with 'unlucky numbers' like 13 (some buildings don't even have an official 13th floor) plus by the time you're getting into the teens in terms of # of cogs, even a fairly dumb consumer has to think, "Gee, I've already got 12 cogs, so what does having just one more do for me? Probably not much."

If it were up to me, I'd stop the crazy train at 12-speed and just wait for a good CVT system to come along, however long it took.)

Last edited by SystemShock; 04-29-2013 at 04:30 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't think so:

There's one 1 mile up behind the house, 24%+ gradient, that I climb every 2-3 months. I pass the time with 17-21% grades weekly. Don't need 11sp to do it, but 11sp allows the 27t climbing cog along with smoother gear transitions than 10sp. The latter is the true utility of 11sp.

Re: Ultegra 6800 11-Speed...it's here!

Saying 11 speed shouldn't exist because *you* don't need it is like saying better, more comfortable bras shouldn't exist because *you* don't have boobs....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast