Old board helped a lot of new people -not here
    RoadBikeReview Member

Old board helped a lot of new people -not here

While the old board was a great place for people just getting into cycling I am afraid that this set up will not. This site is great for fighting but doesn't give enough time at the top for newbie questions. Hopefully Mr. Shop can fix it.

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003

Lightbulb Give it a chance....

Quote Originally Posted by andy02
    While the old board was a great place for people just getting into cycling I am afraid that this set up will not. This site is great for fighting but doesn't give enough time at the top for newbie questions. Hopefully Mr. Shop can fix it.
    I appreciated your reply on the Bontrager race wheelset in another thread. This system will work. It's just a new format. Give it a chance, it will work.

Strained coccyx etc etc

Lightbulb the board will be what we make it.

newbies will come here without format expectation, and will return if the community is polite and helpful. if i were a newcomer with questions, having a quick look at the board today before posting, i might not be inclined to do so. not because of the format, but because of the negativity. the forum is defined by its members.

no amount of belly-aching will find us reverted to the old format, i'm sure. otherwise i would the chief whiner. i am totally opposed to change of any kind. but, as a professional computer nerd, it's part of my own everyday life. working fine or no, the old forum software is apparently no longer supported, which means if it crashes for some unknown reason (as things are apt to do), they may not have expert technical assistance to get it back into production. and then *whammo* no RBR at all.

i'm a big proponent of "why upgrade if it's doing what you need it to do right now?" so in that light, another thought: what it's doing right now, good job or no, might not be what it needs to do in 6 months. or 6 days. post volume, views, the ability to advertise, and administration of the software--these things i'm sure are only a handful of reasons (besides vendor support) to switch to a new package.

but the really important thing to remember is this: RBR is a free internet comunity resource. is it free to run or administer? absolutely not. so we are not in any position to criticize.

use your advice, experience, personality, and keyboard to make this board what you want newbies to see. do it through community, though. the messenger is irrelevant; the message is all-important.

thanks.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Not sure what you mean by "enough time at the top" unless it's referring to the bumping of the posts when replies are made.

I've been used to that/this type of BBS format for several years. In fact when I first found the "old" RBR, I was surprised to see the "old" format. It's all a matter of preference, and if people are truly looking for advice and discussion, they will stick around no matter the format.

J is right in saying the people make the forum. I've seen great BBS's (software wise) run into the ground due to the users, and I've seen crappy-software BBS's have great success because of the great users. A lot of that has to with the site moderators as well. I do not envy them at all, as it is a tough chore at times.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Andy, I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't give enough time at the top for newbie questions". This is no different than the other board. J, as moderator has two "sticky" posts at the top. These two post will stay there regardless of how you sort your threads. As other topics become more active, he can replace these stickys with others. Think of these stickys as "Hot Topics" on the top of the page of the old board. On the old board a newbie question dropped the same as here. If people don't reply or as new threads are posted, the posts drop to the bottom.
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

I heart team Zissou!

J's Haiku -- please pull whatever strings you can and...

see if you can't get Gregg or whoever else is in charge to add an expanded thread view on the top page -- like you see in this php forum:

http://www.bikefanclub.com/forum/pos...ded/sb/5/o/all

Being able to see all threads *and* their replies was one of the best features of the old RBR site -- it lets people quickly skim through and click on those threads/replies that are most interesting to them. I don't have the time to open every thread to see whether the replies are interesting.

Thanks...

A+

Philippe (contemplating a move to bikefanclub or back to velonews.com)

Jul 2002

Lightbulb Change is a funny thing....

Having worked in IT for a number of years I have helped a number of companies through software conversions. Most conversions were the result of a decision made by upper management. In almost every case the people actually using the software resisted the change. It was not until months later did people start to realize that the conversion was actually beneficial to all involved, well in most cases. I guess the the point I am trying to make is that this is no different...people do not like change. It is funny but I have heard all of these same reasons beofre for resisting change that have been brought forth recently here on this forum. Rather than criticize RBR we should be thanking them for providing a place for us to convene and share our thoughts and ideas about something we are all passionate about. Just my $.02!

Strained coccyx etc etc

strings? we don't need no stinkin' strings!

you guys have more strings than little ol' me. use the site suggestions forum or email gregg directly and make the suggestion. i would be interested to hear the response.

fwiw, that linked site is surely chronological/hierarchical as the old RBR threads appeared in expanded mode...but the one you're referencing is horribly busy to look at.

thanks.

-j
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Strained coccyx etc etc

Angry ps: i wish i hadn't looked

this whole retro-grouch thing is starting to irritate me. rant withheld.

I heart team Zissou!

will do.. thanks (nm)

no message

Master of flip comments

have any experience with iRenaissance software

Quote Originally Posted by scary slow
    Having worked in IT for a number of years I have helped a number of companies through software conversions. Most conversions were the result of a decision made by upper management. In almost every case the people actually using the software resisted the change. It was not until months later did people start to realize that the conversion was actually beneficial to all involved, well in most cases. I guess the the point I am trying to make is that this is no different...people do not like change. It is funny but I have heard all of these same reasons beofre for resisting change that have been brought forth recently here on this forum. Rather than criticize RBR we should be thanking them for providing a place for us to convene and share our thoughts and ideas about something we are all passionate about. Just my $.02!
    Hey, do you have any experience with iRenaissance software? My company is converting over to it and so far it looks like a horrible mistake. I've never seen a system so user unfriendly. It looks like it requires several keystrokes to accomplish something (if it can do it at all) when the old system was simple and logical. Most of the time I hear "you can't do that on this system" or, "sorry, that isn't supported". My 2cents: This new forum blows. Anyone know why it was changed??

Feb 2004

re: (contemplating a move to bikefanclub or back to velonews.com)

A+ Philippe
    Always Look At the Bright Side of Life Monty Python, Life of Brian

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    "re: (contemplating a move to bikefanclub or back to velonews.com) "

I was just over checking out the competition.

At 3:00pm cst bikefanclub has 5 people viewing the General Forum. RBR has 274.

I think I'll stay here.

I wasn't in favor of this change either but it happened. I've been on this site for over 3 years, I'm going to give the new software a chance..
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

B2
    You talking to me?
    Disadvanatges outweigh the advantages (nm)

I guess the (nm) is pretty much void now. You have to open the thread to see the new post is a waste of your time.

Bryan

Strained coccyx etc etc

Unhappy "I'm going to give the new software a chance"

one of the thinks (ok, the majority) i was hired for in my last 2 positions was to adapt to and learn software and complex systems that nobody else (in the company/s) knew. the employer's alternative was to keep a vendor consultant on staff or on call, which was prohibitively expensive, in all cases. maybe this is why i'm having such a hard time accepting all the hoo-ha about this new forum.

the only thing i see as a semi-valid complaint is the inability to glance at the main forum screen and see an expanded version of *all* threads on page 1, thus negating the need to go thread-by-thread to find out what's going on.

as a "customer", the "old" format provides ease of navigation in this manner. as a moderator, the "new" format (i'm assuming) is much more difficult to preside over. i feel almost as though operating blindly, as i don't always read everything that's posted. sometimes there's not time, sometimes too much volume on the forum, and sometimes i'm not interested. so i'm thinking the community will take advantage of "reporting this thread" for those who may be coming across inappropriately.

from what i've read so far, there are three formats available for viewing overall forum activity, none of which closely mimic "expanded threads" from the old way. so be it.

all in all, i'm surprised and disappointed in the dissent i've witnessed in the last couple of days. your numbers are a good indicator that the majority of folks don't mind the new format; perhaps some (like me!) are "taken" enough by the flashy new stuff to overlook the minor annoyances--"annoyances" which will become accepted and for which we will alter our processes to suit. i think, for those who can get beyond a different interface, in a month we'll be back to "normal".

but then again, Spirito was never normal anyhow.

-J

Jan 2004

It took about 2 weeks for the *****ing to subside on MTBR

Yeah, while I kind of liked the old format, too, this one doesn't bother me at all. The hybrid view seems the best to me.

It's kind of hard to whine too much about a change to resource that provides us a lot of value for - let's see, ummm, free! Especially since the change makes the system easier to administer and support, which increases the chance of it staying around.

It took about 2 weeks for the *****ing and moaning to subside over on MTBR, and most people there seem to have gotten on with their lives and their posting. I expect we'll all do the same here.

Michael

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by biketx

It's kind of hard to whine too much about a change to resource that provides us a lot of value for - let's see, ummm, free! Especially since the change makes the system easier to administer and support, which increases the chance of it staying around.

Michael
    Very well said.........
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

RoadBikeReview Member

Well said yes...

But not all together true.
    I'm getting tired of people saying that this is a free site.
    It is not free. RBR asks that we browse the site taking in the ADs as well as the content. This is an exchange. My resourses stretch beyond money. Fortunately for both parties i find the arrangement mutually agreable.