OLD Topanga Canyon Road
    Sooper Dooper Moderator!

OLD Topanga Canyon Road

What's the consensus on the northbound climb of Old Topanga? Is it steeper/tougher than the southbound direction or is it easier? I'm thinking of giving it a try. I usually ride this southbound but almost always see riders climbing in the opposite direction. Thanks.

Where Are We Eating?
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    What's the consensus on the northbound climb of Old Topanga? Is it steeper/tougher than the southbound direction or is it easier? I'm thinking of giving it a try. I usually ride this southbound but almost always see riders climbing in the opposite direction. Thanks.
    Considering that the Southbound route isn't much of a climb (it's over just as you get into a rythem) you should expect the Northbound route a lot longer but I wouldn't say it's steeper. I like it much better than just going up Topanga because it's way more scenic and less crowded.

Gronk SMASH!

Where is it?

Where do you guys live/ride? I live in Granada Hills, so that ride might be doable when I get in a bit better shape. Where is it? I know of Topanga over the hill to Malibu. Is it adjacent?
    ... and so it goes

Where Are We Eating?
    If you're going toward the coast from the Valley hang a right on Mullholland Hwy.and veer left on Old Topanga. It spits you out in Topanga Cyn. Village at the Inn of the 7th Ray.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by jptaylorsg
    Where do you guys live/ride? I live in Granada Hills, so that ride might be doable when I get in a bit better shape. Where is it? I know of Topanga over the hill to Malibu. Is it adjacent?
    Old Topanga is a great road to bicycle on. It parallels Topanga Hwy 27 just to the west of it. As you ride southbound the bottom part of the climb hovers around 8%-9%. sometimes a little steeper, sometimes not. Then you get to the switchbacks which are considerably less steep. It's not a very long climb. No longer than maybe 3 miles total (I'm guessing here). Very pretty though and a lot less trafficked than Topanga Cyn Blvd.

The downhill is fun. Switchbacked, and then rolling down alongside a creekbed, past rock formations and horse farms. Like Endo says it spits you out onto Topanga Cyn Blvd. right around where the Topanga post office is.

I usually go over this way than make a left onto Topanga and climb back into the valley (I live in Sherman Oaks).. The climb of Topanga Blvd. by the way is not difficult. It goes on for a bit, say 5-6 miles but the first 3 miles or so are at a 2%-3% incline. The last two miles have inclines of about 5%-6%.

Jan 2006
    One of my favorite roads. If you can go one way on it, you can ride the other without a problem, though I'd say northbound is the more challenging direction.