riding from Newport Beach to Corona??

Jan 2005

riding from Newport Beach to Corona??

Howdy. Next week I'm going to be visiting my mother, who lives in Corona, and my brother, who lives in Newport Beach. I thought it might be fun to ride from my brother's place to my mom's (or vice versa - probably only one way though). I mapped out a tentative route on google maps:

http://tinyurl.com/cqa9w

I've never ridden on these roads, although I've driven on PCH and Hwy 74 - PCH seems a little hectic to ride on, but 74 seemed nice. Anyone have any feedback on this route? Alternative suggestions? I'm willing to ride up to 100 miles if there's a better, more scenic, less traffic, etc. way.

Any other suggestions for great road rides in that area would be appreciated too. Last time I was there I road on the Santa Ana river trail from Corona to Huntington beach - that was fun and I'll probably do that again, but any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks a lot,
    Scott

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    PCH is actually a good ride, especially outside of the busy downtown areas of Newport Beach and Corona del Mar. I don't enjoy riding Ortega Hwy (74) as much becuase it usually has fairly hevy traffic and no shoulder. On weekends there are a lot of boaters and campers heading out to Lake Elsinore.

I ride out to Corona from Huntington Beach fairly frequently, but I do as little as possible on the trail. My general route is to take Red Hill north until it ends, then Newport for a few blocks, Foothill, Old Foothill, Hewes, Bond, Collins, Fletcher Ranch / Wanda / Santiago / Santa Ana Canyon (all same road), Gypsum Canyon, and then into the park to get on the trail.

Some good road rides in the area include Santiago Canyon / Live Oak Canyon, and rides around Lake Mathews on Cajalaco, La Sierra, and El Sobrante.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Its been sometime since I've been out to Corona using the 91. But I've been riding around the 71&91 junction which is somewhere west of Corona. From there, you can pick up the Santa Ana River Bike trail which is a paved bike trail that will travel 27 paved miles to North Newport Beach. There is currently some construction in areas around Santa Ana but it would be a continuous ride otherwise all the way to PCH

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

I got hit

on Ortega (74) last year. Then two of my friends at different times got hit. One was seriously injured and may never ride/walk again. I'd stay away from this stretch. I like the bike trail for safety reasons.Although the Santiago Canyon route is a good one that I've done a few times.
    Like so many things, it begins with the most simple belief
    The one you must have in yourself
    That must be translated into results by dedication
    The knowledge that dedication which feeds on belief can make it so