Road Cycling Forums for Southern California?
    jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Road Cycling Forums for Southern California?

I live in New York but regularly travel to Southern California to visit my dad, where I keep a spare road bike. I just bought the bike in the past year and discovered that I really enjoy the roads around my dad's place, so I decided to check out the S.C. forum. It's really dead, to my surprise. Is there an online forum where I can get good information about cycling in the area? My dad's place is in Redlands, so adjacent to some nice roads in the mountain foothills east of Los Angeles.

Thanks in advance.

Neophyte
    The entire forum here is not what it used to be, and the regional sub-forums are pretty much toast. Northern California used to get a ton of traffic but it's pretty much crickets now, too. However, if you post specific questions with a more specific subject you may get more replies, such as "Good routes near San Bernadino?"

Strava heatmap might help you decide where to ride, also looks like you aren't too far away from Mount Baldy which is one of the stages of this years Amgen Tour of California. You might want to check out the route map for that stage if you want a good climb.

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the good advice jetdog9. I rode some really nice routes in/around redlands and later found out theyíre frequently part of the Redlands classic. I can also dust off my Strava account when Iím in the area for more routes. I havenít used Strava in a few years and unaware of the heat map function.

The NY/NJ forum is pretty slow but there are still enough consistent users exchanging information to be helpful.

Thanks again.

Neophyte
    Forgot about the Redlands Classic, good call!

I'm in Northern California and when I visit relatives in Southern California it's closer to the San Diego area, so not too familiar.

Darling of The Lounge
    You gotta do Gibraltar! Your legs will hate you in the morning

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Strava Heat Map isn't a function of the Strava app itself. It uses the data from past Strava activities to create heat map.

The map itself can be browsed by anyone. You don't need a strava account at all.

https://www.strava.com/heatmap#6.19/...76876/hot/ride

This is not to be confused with the personal heat map, which just shows you were you ride. Personal heat map is a strava website feature.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    I live in New York but regularly travel to Southern California to visit my dad, where I keep a spare road bike. I just bought the bike in the past year and discovered that I really enjoy the roads around my dad's place, so I decided to check out the S.C. forum. It's really dead, to my surprise. Is there an online forum where I can get good information about cycling in the area? My dad's place is in Redlands, so adjacent to some nice roads in the mountain foothills east of Los Angeles.

Thanks in advance.
    The Campagnolo and Ritchey forums that I used to frequent are equally as dead. Donít know what happened to folks...
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member

Q&A about riding in Southern California

Plenty of exactly what you want at another cycling site: https://www.bikeforums.net

It has a subforum exclusively about Southern California with many SC posters talking or posting about what you are seeking.

Good luck.
    Last edited by GlobalGuy; 03-02-2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: clarity, relativity and or brevity