Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2011 Tarmac SL3 Expert vs 2010 Tarmac Expert SL

12K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  puresoulskl 
#1 · (Edited)
Need help deciding which bike to pull the trigger on. Also including my current quoted prices (including tax). LMK if i can do better on pricing too. No racing, just solo/group rides for now. Thanks for the help!

2010 Tarmac Expert SL - Ultegra - $2700
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45883&eid=4350
They are also going to swap out the Kyrium Equippes with the Fulcrum Racing 4s from the 2011

2011 Tarmac SL3 Expert -Ultegra - $3300
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52900&scid=1001&scname=Road

For what it's worth, I prefer the style/look of the 2010. Kind of find the 2011 colors a bit ugly. Not sure if I would pick the red/white or neon green

#6 ·
I was in the same position, however the price margin was slightly smaller for me to just go with the SL3. I did end up going with the SL3 for the minor improvements (and yes I actually like the neon)...even if the only difference I'm feeling and realizing right now is in my head. With them swapping the wheelset over, I bet they'd feel almost dead nuts identical to me at my level...maybe not 600 dollars difference to me then.

#7 ·
Haven't test ridden the 2010 with with the new wheelset yet but Im also guessing they'll feel similar. Apparently the 2010 Expert SL uses an SL2 frame. My buddy who races pretty seriously told me I would realize the difference in frames at my level. I'm also 150lbs, so I don't think Id put that much stress/flex in either bike.

I might be able to negotiate the price a bit lower on the 2011. Not sure about the 2010 since they are upgrading my wheels.

#15 ·
Had to go with the carbon/white/red (as that's the only colour that seems to be available in the UK).

Actually, it's the colour I'd have chosen - the only thing is that it looks remarkably similar (at first glance anyway) to the colours of the Comp (albeit without exposed carbon fibre)

#18 ·
Yes it is just you.

They are not the same. SL2 vs SL3. Different construction and stiffening stuff on the SL3. To the eye, yes they are the same as geometry and outward appearance are the same.

I bought my bike at a shop north of Ann Arbour. Not that it will help as it was the only test bike they had in stock.

#19 ·
2010 Tarmac expert sl
Specialized Tarmac SL FACT 10r carbon, FACT IS construction, compact race design, 1.5" lower HS bearing
Tarmac full FACT carbon monocoque, OS race for 1.5" bearing
Aheadset Stainless Race Steel Balls w/ top cap w/ 20mm of spacers

2012 Tarmac sl3
Specialized FACT 10r carbon, FACT IS construction, compact race design, 1-1/2" lower bearing, OSBB
Specialized FACT carbon, full monocoque, OS race for 1-1/2" bearing
1-1/8 upper and 1-1/2" lower Cr-Mo cartridge bearings integrated w/ headset, 8mm cone spacer with 20mm of spacers

Bold and underlined the differences that i can see.

#25 ·
"Hi guys,I was wondering,could you all advice me because I'm new to road bikes and I'm stuck between having to choose A 2010 S-works Tarmac SL3 and 2010 S-works Roubaix SL2,both are dura-ace components"

By the way how much are these bikes now since it's been a year have they depreciated?

#26 ·
By the way how much are these bikes now since it's been a year have they depreciated?
The 2012 models are out so they're now 2 model years old. There's no hard and fast rules for depreciation. But assuming they are brand new and being sold by a Specialized dealer, I'd be looking for something like 30-40% off their original MSRP. If you like the Tarmac, that 2010 SL3 is practically the same as the 2011 version and is a TdF winning bike. It has just been superseded by the SL4 but the SL4 is significantly more expensive and incrementally better, so that 2010 SL3 could be a really good performance/cost choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.