Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2018 SW Tarmac Disc Availability

80K views 209 replies 35 participants last post by  g-Bike 
#1 ·
I've searched the forums, but didn't find anything relating to this, hence the new post. I was hoping the good people of the forum had some insight into the approximate release date/month of the 2018 SW Tarmac Disc.

I've read that it won't be released until CY18, but I'm seriously hoping that's a conservative estimate. Currently on a BMC RM01, which I like, but given the new SW Tarmac geometry, and the fact that it's supposed to be lighter, I'm chomping at the bits to be back on a Tarmac.

Thanks in advance.

#71 ·
I think many of us have had our conversations/disagreements with 11spd, but it is a bit more interesting to have him back. I can say, he's toned it down but leaps and bounds. In the past, I've never seen him apologize [which I believe was sincere]. I think we should give him a pass.

Not related to the topic, but it gets a free bump anyway.

#72 ·
I actually agree with this. There's nothing wrong with expressing your opinions or passionately debating an issue on here, just keep it clean I say. Welcome back 11spd. Let's just set up a disc brake vs rim brake forum (and electronic vs mechanical, etc.) so that the topic doesn't have to bleed over into every other discussion.

#75 ·
dcorn,
Because you are such a sweet guy and you think you have dominion over what other’s post and use offensive terms like STFU which is clearly against forum policy, here is a thought for you.
Maybe Specialized won’t be releasing the Tarmac disk because of lack of demand? After all, many Tarmac riders extrapolate from what pro’s ride and the Tarmac disk is nowhere to be found in the pro peloton. Guess what? Tarmac rim brake bike by contrast is probably the most popular race bike of all time, past, present and likely future.
Learn it, love it, live it.

#84 ·
Nice picture, but still no news.... Anxiously waiting for any info I can find.
I've got no skin in this game...that being said your best bet is to go to your Specialized dealer and have them contact the Specialized Rep as he will most likely have a clue.

Remember once announced you gotta pull the trigger waiting till someone else gets one and then deciding will have you back of the line.

#87 · (Edited)
I posted a while ago and linked an I article I believe indicating that you are likely looking at the end of 2017 or beginning of 2018. Any confirmation beyond that will have to come from an authorized dealer. They're not even on their homepage or being marketed yet, so it's certainly not going to be soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it's January or February, etc.

#88 ·
Someone suggested they might be waiting for the spring classics, but that would take away from the Roubaix and futureshock. I would think going into winter would be a perfect time for a reveal given discs really shine in adverse weather conditions.

Like I said before, I got a direct quote from a Spesh rep thru my dealer saying Dec/Jan due to Shimano disc group availability. Go see for yourself if you can find the new DA/Ultegra groups available for sale anywhere with discs. I am really chomping at the bit to see what colors will be on the Pro disc frames, and to get my hands on one.

#92 ·
Oh and unfortunately, no disc framesets have been advertised either. And if the rim brake framesets provide any insight into what the pricing may be, it looks like a Sworks frameset will cost almost as much as Fact 10 complete bike.....:eek:

#95 · (Edited)
14.5lbs for a disc bike is dubious unless they mean without pedals. My Emonda SLR Disc frame weighs 760g (Trek-Segafredo paint,) and the complete bike weighs 15.8lbs with pedals.

However considering Specialized is shipping Ultralight frames that actually weigh 790g and painted frames that weigh 900g, I do not trust any of their weight claims.

I also don’t believe the Shimano delay claim at all. Other brands have been shipping 9170 bikes for a while and eTap HRD is readily available.

#96 ·
14.5lbs for a disc bike is dubious unless they mean without pedals. My Emonda SLR Disc frame weighs 760g (Trek-Segafredo paint,) and the complete bike weighs 15.8lbs with pedals.

However considering Specialized is shipping Ultralight frames that actually weigh 790g and painted frames that weigh 900g, I do not trust any of their weight claims.
believe it!

I have seen, and briefly ridden a 56cm Tarmac Ultralight it's legit!

sub-14 lbs on a park tool scale at my local shop.

It was for a $$$ customer so it came in and went out within 24 hours.

nevertheless if they can make a sub-14 lbs rim brake superlight tarmac I'm sure they can do a 14.5 lbs disc superlight.

#97 ·
Disc brakes add at minimum about 1lb to a bike. My Emonda SLR Disc frameset is lighter than whatever the Tarmac Disc frameset is going to weigh. Admittedly I can drop 150g with a bar/stem combo, 60g with an ultralight saddle, 2x40g with ultralight tubeless tires, 100g with lighter wheels, and maybe another 150g with lighter pedals. So yeah I could get the bike around 14.6lbs with effort.

The reality is most Tarmac UL Discs are going to be over 16lbs.

#110 ·
For those of you with the true insider connections can you find out what the facts are about how wide of tire the disc version will be able to handle? We know the rim brake version will handle up to a 30's. I "think" this limitation is part of the brake caliper of rim brakes. So I am hoping that the disc version should be able to handle larger 32's.

Before any of you starting saying "if you want 32's you should get the crux or roubaix"...Yeah I get it. However, I want to ride my tarmac on mixed terrain and 32's would allow this.

Thanks,

#111 ·
I get what you are saying. I put 32s on my Crux this summer and rode in the mountains. Rode up My Evans. I have 42 / 42-10 Force 1X. I was thinking of doing the mix riding with my Crux but I want a bike just for road as well. I don't want to have to change tires all the time. That's why I want the Tarmac, but with disc. I get what you are saying. I put 32s on my Crux this summer and rode in the mountains. Rode up My Evans. I have 42 / 42-10 Force 1X. I was thinking of doing the mix riding with my Crux but I want a bike just for road as well. I don't want to have to change tires all the time. That's why I want the Tarmac, but with disc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#118 ·
@dcorn and @steenerk
Yeah a lot of my friends with crux will put those 32 road tubeless roubaix tires on their crux and will ride them on most road rides instead of their tarmacs. They all say "it's just so nice and comfy".. The only time they pull out their tarmacs if it's like a really intense fast ride.

I will prob. run this new tarmac 1x. My buddy is running the older 2014 tarmac with 1x and the wolftooth goatlink and di2 with 0 issues. He even lives in the hilly part of PA and does just fine with a 46 up front. He is running sram 11sp mtb cassette.

#119 ·
Yeap, been taking my Crux to sunday morning road rides and keeping up with everyone just fine. My problem is I like going fast down hills and I spin out at around 37 mph with a 42x11. And a 42x36 is just barely enough gear to get me up some of the short, steep climbs in this area.

As for your friend's 1x tarmac, can you tell me what he did up front to run a 46T chainring? I have a '12 Tarmac with a busted FD hanger and want to run it 1x for the time being, but I can't figure out how to do 1x on the S-works carbon crank and spider. What ring and chainring bolts does he use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.