Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post

I am not an electric shifting guy either but I embrace technology which contributes to lower weight and aerodynamics.
    welcome to the future...

Aqua Blue Sport to break ground with single-ring bikes in 2018 | VeloNews.com

2018 SW Tarmac Disc Availability-marcgasch_3tabs_171017__dsc0506_new-800x534.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Just to keep this topic alive: anybody any news which I may have missed? No news from my connections.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    It will be released & rode mid January at the Tour Down Under in Australia.
    This info comes from Specialized dealers and is confirmed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    That's good news!!! Looking forward to it. My birthday is mid January so that we be ideal If you see pro's training at the moment a lot of them are on discs. Especially BMC riders you see using disc equipped bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoud View Post
    That's good news!!! Looking forward to it. My birthday is mid January so that we be ideal If you see pro's training at the moment a lot of them are on discs. Especially BMC riders you see using disc equipped bikes.

I bought a Fuji SL Disc about two months ago and I love it. I am really interested in the Tarmac Disc as well as a potential frameset purchase, but we'll see where the pricing ends up.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

140/140 discs

Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    It's not about having the lightest bike in the world and it's not about what the pros want (or are paid) to use. (Look at Kittel, he was riding multiple races and winning on disc brakes. Then someone falsely accused his discs of cutting them and he stopped because he doesn't want **** from his fellow riders. So it has nothing to do with their performance, discs still have a stigma in pro cycling. Go check the pro CX ranks and see how many rim brakes are there...) If I'm spending $6k or more on a bike, it better have the best technology available. So if they make a Tarmac with electronic shifting, disc brakes, carbon wheels, and tubeless tires, I'm 100% going to buy that model. I'm dead set on buying a new Tarmac and could have the Pro Di2 model very soon, but I'm electing to wait on the disc version to come out. What's a few months when I'll be riding the CX bike in races and gravel rides through the fall anyway?

I haven't moved to carbon wheels on my road bike because I don't want brakes that suck when they get wet or possibly explode if I use them too much going down a hill. I bought Mavic exalith Cosmic wheels instead to get even better braking power than normal aluminum wheels while still being aero. I was considering swapping these wheels over to a new Tarmac with rim brakes, but why give up really nice factory spec'd carbon wheels for something way heavier when I can just wait a bit and get the best braking and keep the lightweight wheels.

Has anyone ridden a bike with 140/140 disc brakes and said 'wow, this is not enough braking power' or 'crap, I'm descending so much that my brake fluid is boiling and rotors warping with this small front rotor'? Just wondering since I'm 200+ lbs and could probably benefit from a bigger front rotor. Maybe that's what part of the holdup is, trying to figure out if they should go bigger in the front. My Crux is 160/140 and that's made for short cross courses without long periods of braking. I can't imagine a bike made for flying down mountain roads would have less braking power.
    I changed the front disc of my Vias from 160 to 140 and quickly discovered that it wasnít enough braking power. Went back to 160.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    https://instagram.com/p/BcxH936hJvL/

Look at this! First ones.

Belgian
    Top one looks gourgeous!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    https://instagram.com/p/BcxH936hJvL/

Look at this! First ones.

What about non s works

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    For those of you with the true insider connections can you find out what the facts are about how wide of tire the disc version will be able to handle? We know the rim brake version will handle up to a 30's. I "think" this limitation is part of the brake caliper of rim brakes. So I am hoping that the disc version should be able to handle larger 32's.

Before any of you starting saying "if you want 32's you should get the crux or roubaix"...Yeah I get it. However, I want to ride my tarmac on mixed terrain and 32's would allow this.

Thanks,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I get what you are saying. I put 32s on my Crux this summer and rode in the mountains. Rode up My Evans. I have 42 / 42-10 Force 1X. I was thinking of doing the mix riding with my Crux but I want a bike just for road as well. I don't want to have to change tires all the time. That's why I want the Tarmac, but with disc.
    Quote Originally Posted by combfilter View Post
    For those of you with the true insider connections can you find out what the facts are about how wide of tire the disc version will be able to handle? We know the rim brake version will handle up to a 30's. I "think" this limitation is part of the brake caliper of rim brakes. So I am hoping that the disc version should be able to handle larger 32's.

Before any of you starting saying "if you want 32's you should get the crux or roubaix"...Yeah I get it. However, I want to ride my tarmac on mixed terrain and 32's would allow this.

Thanks,
    I get what you are saying. I put 32s on my Crux this summer and rode in the mountains. Rode up My Evans. I have 42 / 42-10 Force 1X. I was thinking of doing the mix riding with my Crux but I want a bike just for road as well. I don't want to have to change tires all the time. That's why I want the Tarmac, but with disc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I want to ride my tarmac on mixed terrain and 32's would allow this.
    don't shoot the messenger but wouldn't the Specialized Roubaix be more in tune to what you are looking for?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Thanks,
    My guess is it will officially be 30mm (though you can probably fit slightly wider tires if you want). The reasons behind my guess are 1.) the rim brake version is direct mount and not dual caliper which is closer to what you would get by going with disc brakes; 2.) they have indicated they are trying to keep the geometry and the handling identical for both the rim and disc brake bikes so pros won't need to make any adjustments (multiple bike brands are doing that this year); 3.) they are not going to overlap the strengths of their other bike lines (Roubiax, Crux, Diverge etc.).
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Not a climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenerk View Post
    I get what you are saying. I put 32s on my Crux this summer and rode in the mountains. Rode up My Evans. I have 42 / 42-10 Force 1X. I was thinking of doing the mix riding with my Crux but I want a bike just for road as well. I don't want to have to change tires all the time. That's why I want the Tarmac, but with disc. I get what you are saying. I put 32s on my Crux this summer and rode in the mountains. Rode up My Evans. I have 42 / 42-10 Force 1X. I was thinking of doing the mix riding with my Crux but I want a bike just for road as well. I don't want to have to change tires all the time. That's why I want the Tarmac, but with disc.
    Yup, I did the same thing. 32c tubeless tires were awesome on all the rough roads around here and the disc brakes made me feel 100x safer with all the crazy inattentive drivers. Switching back to 25c tires and rim brakes was brutal.

I'll be ordering a non-Sworks Tarmac disc the second they are announced.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Yup, I did the same thing. 32c tubeless tires were awesome on all the rough roads around here and the disc brakes made me feel 100x safer with all the crazy inattentive drivers. Switching back to 25c tires and rim brakes was brutal.

I'll be ordering a non-Sworks Tarmac disc the second they are announced.
    Yeah, I'm going to order a non s works disc when available. My insurance totalled out my Roubaix so I'm going with the Tarmac disc as a replacement.

Have to say the discs were nice coming down Mt Evans. I had sleet, rain, hail, and all in 20 some miles down. Pretty sure I was close to hypothermic when u got into Idaho Springs. Took shelter at a pull off and say there do for 15 mins because of whiteout conditions. I've never shivered so bad. But, in the end, it was all worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    don't shoot the messenger but wouldn't the Specialized Roubaix be more in tune to what you are looking for?
    No it would not. I love my tarmac and love my fit on that bike. I ride 90% pavement but there's times we have gravel races, etc. that I'd love to just throw some 32's on there and keep my same position. Heck i'd even still run road pedals in a gravel race. So I don't want to have a completely different bike just to ride 10% gravel, plus I don't want a different fit. I just want to swap wheels from 28's to 32's and be on my way. I am already riding my current tarmac on gravel with 25 tubeless. It's fine, but 32's would rule on the more chunky stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    My guess is it will officially be 30mm (though you can probably fit slightly wider tires if you want). The reasons behind my guess are 1.) the rim brake version is direct mount and not dual caliper which is closer to what you would get by going with disc brakes; 2.) they have indicated they are trying to keep the geometry and the handling identical for both the rim and disc brake bikes so pros won't need to make any adjustments (multiple bike brands are doing that this year); 3.) they are not going to overlap the strengths of their other bike lines (Roubiax, Crux, Diverge etc.).
    In the back of my mind I think you are 100% correct. I've thought the same things myself, but there's a small part of me that's just hoping somehow the disc version lets you bump up to 32's. However, what you wrote makes a lot of sense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    @dcorn and @steenerk
    Yeah a lot of my friends with crux will put those 32 road tubeless roubaix tires on their crux and will ride them on most road rides instead of their tarmacs. They all say "it's just so nice and comfy".. The only time they pull out their tarmacs if it's like a really intense fast ride.

I will prob. run this new tarmac 1x. My buddy is running the older 2014 tarmac with 1x and the wolftooth goatlink and di2 with 0 issues. He even lives in the hilly part of PA and does just fine with a 46 up front. He is running sram 11sp mtb cassette.

Not a climber
    @dcorn and @steenerk
    Yeah a lot of my friends with crux will put those 32 road tubeless roubaix tires on their crux and will ride them on most road rides instead of their tarmacs. They all say "it's just so nice and comfy".. The only time they pull out their tarmacs if it's like a really intense fast ride.

I will prob. run this new tarmac 1x. My buddy is running the older 2014 tarmac with 1x and the wolftooth goatlink and di2 with 0 issues. He even lives in the hilly part of PA and does just fine with a 46 up front. He is running sram 11sp mtb cassette.
    Yeap, been taking my Crux to sunday morning road rides and keeping up with everyone just fine. My problem is I like going fast down hills and I spin out at around 37 mph with a 42x11. And a 42x36 is just barely enough gear to get me up some of the short, steep climbs in this area.

As for your friend's 1x tarmac, can you tell me what he did up front to run a 46T chainring? I have a '12 Tarmac with a busted FD hanger and want to run it 1x for the time being, but I can't figure out how to do 1x on the S-works carbon crank and spider. What ring and chainring bolts does he use?

RoadBikeReview Member
    So I don't want to have a completely different bike just to ride 10% gravel, plus I don't want a different fit.
    One bike to rule them all!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

As for your friend's 1x tarmac, can you tell me what he did up front to run a 46T chainring? I have a '12 Tarmac with a busted FD hanger and want to run it 1x for the time being, but I can't figure out how to do 1x on the S-works carbon crank and spider. What ring and chainring bolts does he use?
    Here's the info from him, i'll PM you the pic as to not pollute this topic with non disc photos:
    Itís a 48 ring with a 10/42 XX1 cassette. But I just ordered a 44 oval WT ring to go with the 9/32 3T cassette. If I get a medium cage rear der, I wonít have to run the WT Road Link with the new setup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    So, it's a new year. Where are the disc versions!?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenerk View Post
    So, it's a new year. Where are the disc versions!?
    February. Keep checking Tour Down Under and related news.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014

Finally, I can't wait any longer

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast