Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2018 SW Tarmac Disc Availability

80K views 209 replies 35 participants last post by  g-Bike 
#1 ·
I've searched the forums, but didn't find anything relating to this, hence the new post. I was hoping the good people of the forum had some insight into the approximate release date/month of the 2018 SW Tarmac Disc.

I've read that it won't be released until CY18, but I'm seriously hoping that's a conservative estimate. Currently on a BMC RM01, which I like, but given the new SW Tarmac geometry, and the fact that it's supposed to be lighter, I'm chomping at the bits to be back on a Tarmac.

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
@ SpecializedEurope today at the test day nobody was willing to say anything about the Tarmac disc availability. Focus on the non Disc only at the moment, since the discs are not yet the go to bike for any UCI race and also for example not adopted by the Dutch cycling association in any race (even not in club rides...)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

#6 ·
I have NOT seen a 18' disc as shown in the photo below however... If it's as half as nice as the ultralight tarmac that I have seen (and rode briefly) at my local shop, It will be worth the wait.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

I'm an aero-bike aficionado tho' and love my 2018 S Works Venge Vias Disc, nevertheless I would love to have a 18' S Works Tarmac Disc in my stable.

Once you go electronic shifting and disc brakes It's hard to go back to cable actuated and rim brakes.

Also going tubeless is one of those things of..." why did I wait so long to finally do this ? " the S Works turbo tubeless are like free speed they roll really really nice.

#7 ·
Love the Tarmac and new aero cues even if stuck with the one bolt seatpost...but not with disk brakes or electric shifting.

Not that you have to copy the pros but they pretty much categorically dismiss disk brakes and are allowed to race with them. Further, Joe six pack isn't constrained by a 15lb UCI weight limit. Rim brake bike is lighter.

#8 ·
Wow looks really good on that picture. 140/140 is however not really the way to go in my opinion.

Getting a bit frustrated that the disc version is not available. If it comes as quickly of introducing as the regular one it will be summer 18...

Pros not using discs has other reasons, including wheel change availability. And Joe six pack may well be better of with a disc brake bike, but let's not start another disc yes or no discussion.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

#9 ·
It's not about having the lightest bike in the world and it's not about what the pros want (or are paid) to use. (Look at Kittel, he was riding multiple races and winning on disc brakes. Then someone falsely accused his discs of cutting them and he stopped because he doesn't want **** from his fellow riders. So it has nothing to do with their performance, discs still have a stigma in pro cycling. Go check the pro CX ranks and see how many rim brakes are there...) If I'm spending $6k or more on a bike, it better have the best technology available. So if they make a Tarmac with electronic shifting, disc brakes, carbon wheels, and tubeless tires, I'm 100% going to buy that model. I'm dead set on buying a new Tarmac and could have the Pro Di2 model very soon, but I'm electing to wait on the disc version to come out. What's a few months when I'll be riding the CX bike in races and gravel rides through the fall anyway?

I haven't moved to carbon wheels on my road bike because I don't want brakes that suck when they get wet or possibly explode if I use them too much going down a hill. I bought Mavic exalith Cosmic wheels instead to get even better braking power than normal aluminum wheels while still being aero. I was considering swapping these wheels over to a new Tarmac with rim brakes, but why give up really nice factory spec'd carbon wheels for something way heavier when I can just wait a bit and get the best braking and keep the lightweight wheels.

Has anyone ridden a bike with 140/140 disc brakes and said 'wow, this is not enough braking power' or 'crap, I'm descending so much that my brake fluid is boiling and rotors warping with this small front rotor'? Just wondering since I'm 200+ lbs and could probably benefit from a bigger front rotor. Maybe that's what part of the holdup is, trying to figure out if they should go bigger in the front. My Crux is 160/140 and that's made for short cross courses without long periods of braking. I can't imagine a bike made for flying down mountain roads would have less braking power.

#11 ·
Has anyone ridden a bike with 140/140 disc brakes and said 'wow, this is not enough braking power' or 'crap, I'm descending so much that my brake fluid is boiling and rotors warping with this small front rotor'? Just wondering since I'm 200+ lbs and could probably benefit from a bigger front rotor. Maybe that's what part of the holdup is, trying to figure out if they should go bigger in the front. My Crux is 160/140 and that's made for short cross courses without long periods of braking. I can't imagine a bike made for flying down mountain roads would have less braking power.

I had 140/140 on my TCR and the braking was good, but the move to 160/140 then 160/160 made for a noticeable improvement. I started off at 185lbs when I got the bike (now 160), if you're over 200lbs I wouldn't do the 140's. A lot of the bike companies are putting 140's on because people think they look better. I switched to Sram rotors which have more open design than the Shimano so the bigger rotors don't dominate the look as much.

Going to bigger rotors is just a matter of flipping over the mounting block on the calipers, so certainly not holding up the release of the bike

#10 ·
We completely disagree about disc brakes. I side with the pros who prefer rim brakes. Only reason why Kittel raced discs is because Specialized couldn't figure out how to make the VIAS stop with integrated rim brakes even after a design change. Discs in the pro peloton where the most grueling racing and highest speed descents take place...are as rare as hen's teeth. They are a weight penalty and an aero disadvantage. Not huge but that is the reality. Maintenance is a further PITA.
We will simply have to disagree.:)

#12 ·
The OP was asking about the availability of the disc brake Tarmac, since the rim brake version is already available there was no need for you to insert your opinion on disc brakes into this discussion.

Until it's ruled that everyone needs to be racing on discs, pros are always going to choose not to run them if there is a perceived disadvantage to someone who is not using them. Why would you take a chance on a potentially slower wheel change, etc. when you know your competition is not going to have that issue?
And BTW, I saw an interview with some pros asking if they wanted disc, many were indifferent and a few who said they didn't want them admitted they had never even tried them.
I've also seen photos of quite a few pros on disc brakes while training, so unless you are racing at the sharp end of the stick, worrying about such marginal gains is a bit silly and you should be looking more to what the pros ride when training (or after retiring) than what they are racing on.

#13 ·
They ARE making a rim brake tarmac for those folks that want rim brakes and they WILL have a disc brake tarmac for those folks that want disc brakes.

Why are we even having this discussion as everyone can be happy?

Been there done that with the retro-grouch stuff years ago thinking I was the sh*t on my Colnago C50 with full Record Campy... I've since moved on as I don't "need" to have what-the-pros-ride replica and have embraced cycling technology.

Ride what makes YOU happy and not what you precieve everyone else thinks is cool or "pro".

#16 ·
#26 · (Edited)
I have friends that rode with him in LA while he was there training, he was on discs.

As I noted earlier

The OP was asking about the availability of the disc brake Tarmac, since the rim brake version is already available there was no need for you to insert your opinion on disc brakes into this discussion.

Until it's ruled that everyone needs to be racing on discs, pros are always going to choose not to run them if there is a perceived disadvantage to someone who is not using them. Why would you take a chance on a potentially slower wheel change, etc. when you know your competition is not going to have that issue?
And BTW, I saw an interview with some pros asking if they wanted disc, many were indifferent and a few who said they didn't want them admitted they had never even tried them.
I've also seen photos of quite a few pros on disc brakes while training, so unless you are racing at the sharp end of the stick, worrying about such marginal gains is a bit silly and you should be looking more to what the pros ride when training (or after retiring) than what they are racing on.

I also know that Phil Gaimon is riding a disc bike around LA now that he is retired.

#40 ·
Look at 11spd spewing nonsense like it’s gospel.

https://youtu.be/2iYYLhtDHpg

Reactions in this 2015 video range from “It needs to be tested” to “they’re ugly” to “everyone needs to switch at the same time” to “it wil be better for heat management and safer in the rain” to “I don’t think they look bad.”

https://youtu.be/xvWBwhpml5w

More indifference in this video. About the strongest negative opinion was that rim brakes with carbon tubs are adequate, and that the UCI needs a concrete ruling on the legality of disc brakes. Owain Doull’s shoe was mentioned, but as we know that damage was almost surely not caused by a rotor.

Ultimately I think we’ll see guards/fairings on the rotors due to rider safety concerns, but it’s clear the pros acknowledge the braking is better and that the wholesale switch will eventually be made.

#41 ·
Just to be clear, I am not against disks. For example, if buying a disk brake bike with rear rack, you can bungie a Frisbee to the back. At least that disk has a modicum of utility.

I love the forecast about disk usage. Yes, the sun will burn out eventually as well. Anybody see the pro racing in CO this past year? I saw '1' disk brake bike....lol. Maybe that was a spectator who made his way onto the course? Apparently that guy didn't get the memo either.

#42 ·
Dude STFU already, nobody cares about your personal opinion on disc brakes! Nobody cares what you *believe* the pros are thinking. Carbon wheel rim brakes are a compromise, plain and simple. I (and apparently everyone else in this thread) am not paying for a super premium bike with the newest technology and getting compromised brakes. They hardly work in the rain and are not an ideal braking surface. Pros aren't worried about getting t-boned by a car running a red light or turning without looking. I don't have time to wait an extra 30 yards for my brakes to dry off, then finally grip while I'm trying not to die. Similarly, everyone said electronic shifting was stupid and unnecessary and wouldn't catch on, but find a pro team now that doesn't have most if not all their riders on Di2, etap, or EPS. No more worries of cables being pinched or kinked or gunking up and shifting badly. Same with disc brakes. Not sure where your maintenance issue comes from, but I haven't had a single problem with the brakes on my Crux.

Again, back to the original topic. I am specifically waiting on the Tarmac Pro di2 disc. I'm buying through a friend that owns a local shop and his spesh rep says Dec/Jan because they are waiting on availability of disc stuff from Shimano. Doesn't sound like it'll be any earlier, unfortunately. I've been pestering him about this for months, so I'm sure he'll let me know precisely when he hears back from Specialized.

#48 ·
I don't race.

I don't care (much) about component weight.

I want the improved braking.

I want the additional flexibility of wider wheel and tire options.

I have a really nice bike with rim brakes.

I have a really nice bike with disc brakes.

The rim brake bike I have is the last one I will ever buy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#53 ·
MoPo,
Its ok you don't get it. I build motorcycles as well. If anybody needs a light bike to keep up in an aggressive group ride with some climbing, its average Joe.

Hey you guys, my involvement in this thread spiraled and turned into a rebuke of disc Tarmacs. Yes, I believe electric shifting and disk brakes desecrate the great Tarmac which should be built with Campy Super Record ;) but pretty clear I prefer the rim brake version as do all pros that professionally race the Tarmac. New Shimano rim brake are truly amazing.

Have fun and enjoy the disk love.

#56 ·
Yeah, and I have built lightweight minimalist cars that make Porsches look like Mack trucks in comparison.

If anybody needs a light bike to keep up in an aggressive group ride with some climbing, its average Joe.
If only it worked that way. :rolleyes:

You might like the disks because you live in hilly country...for fast descents. Me, I prefer rim brakes because I live in flat country.
I found your problem :lol:

#63 ·
I just want to provide some context for some of what I said about the reality that disc brakes will likely be in the pro peloton soon (not that it really matters, but anyone reading the thread should be provided some access to what is actually going on in my opinion). Anyway, they will likely be completely legal and a lot more common starting in 2019. That's the reality. We are not talking ten years from now. Whoever said 2 years is completely in the ballpark.

UCI to continue disc brake trial in 2018 | Cyclingnews.com

In fact, Aqua Blue Sport will be racing full-time on disc only and 1X systems next year:

Aqua Blue Sport to compete on 3T Strada disc bike with 1x drivetrain in 2018 | Cyclingnews.com

#67 ·
11spd,

You've told use your preferences, your beliefs and your predictions in this thread several times. It's cool, bus seriously, it's ok if other people feel differently. It's what makes the world go around.

Let it go.

This thread is supposed to about the Disc Tarmac. Can we get back to that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.