RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006

Red face looking for some advice

So hears the story and the reason for my thread. I currently have a 2015 crux elite with disc brakes. I don't race cycle cross but i seem to ride my crux quite a bit. I absolutely love this bike and it fits me great. I prefer it over my 2013 Tarmac sl4 pro red. When I ride my crux I start out on the road but soon find some dirt, ride the dirt back on the road and find more dirt. Sometimes I will take my crux and ride it just on the road. Crappy weather in Maine plus the roads here are terrible. I much prefer the dirt. But that doesn't mean I don't like the road. My Tarmac, even after a bike fit I am still not comfortable on the bike. Long story short It is up for sale on Pink Bike. I have been looking at a few bikes to replace it. One being the Specialized Diverge, and the other the Roubaix with future shock. I am looking for a bike with more relaxed geometry and one that I can put some miles on on the road and feel comfortable. I like the idea of the Diverge because it will handle bigger tires then the Roubaix. Plus if I wanted to do some gravel racing the diverge would probably win out over my crux. But that doesn't mean I cant put 38's on my crux and go race a gravel race. At my local bike shop they have a 2015 Specialized Roubaix Pro, sram red, carbon crank, carbon wheels, rim brakes, cobble gobble seat post and so on. Original price for that bike is $5500. They have it marked down to $2500. My one issue with the 2015 Roubaix is it is not disc. I prefer disc but not necessarily a game changer. I have read the reviews on the new Roubaix and it has been getting great reviews. The Roubaix and the diverge both have disc brakes. I think the 2015 Roubaix is a great buy but not sure its the bike of choice. Because of the new technology of the Roubaix does that make the 20215 a crappy bike? Am i reading to much into the marketing of these 2 bikes, the Diverge and the Roubaix? I am looking for some advice on what you would do. Purchase the older technology and go with the 2015 or go with the new technology and purchase a Diverge or a Roubaix. Price point is all about the same. $1800-$2500. Thanks for you help.
    Last edited by singlespeed1; 04-21-2018 at 07:48 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    From what I understand from your first part of your post, you like to ride both road and dirt. But prefer riding on dirt over road. Not saying that you dislike riding on the road...

Roubaix is a great bike. It designed for rough road surfaces with a relaxed geometry. Not saying it cannot be ridden on dirt. But its main intent is for uneven road surfaces. On the otherhand, the Diverge is designed for exactly what you prefer, road and dirt. And has the proper gearing for riding up a dirt mountain path or a smooth road that leads to where ever it may go...

I say, give the Diverge a chance and see if that's what you're looking for. Not to mention, you can hook up saddle bags to the forks and go on a little adventure riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    I will certainly be giving the Diverge a test ride and originally i was thinking Diverge all the way but having my specialized crux which i really like to ride, that can be my "gravel bike". So many options out there it makes it a hard choice. If i didn't have my crux i would absolutely purchase the diverge. Im thinking if i did purchase the diverge my crux would just sit there and collect dust but who knows. With a Roubaix and the crux I would have a nice option for both dirt with my crux and roubaix for the road. Any and all advice is welcome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    More often than not if you buy something solely because it's a good deal, you come to regret it, especially if it isn't something you were looking at to begin with. For that reason I say pass on the Roubaix.

As for your concerns about the Crux/Diverge overlap, I think you should reconsider. The new Diverge has geometry dissimilar to the Crux (especially the BB height), and is more in line with the Roubaix. I would imagine the lower seatstays and higher stack would also lend to a very different ride when compared to the Crux. JMO...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd go with the diverge.

I've turned my crux pro disc bike into a gravel bike however chain stays limit me to 35mm tires.

The diverge will allow 40mm tires easily

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Wetworks and Wrm4865, Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated.