Roubaix 2017
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roubaix 2017

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Roubaix 2017

any information on the 2017 roubaix? Clearly it's pretty early to look for info on it, but the mtb forums seems to have some good info on the 2017 models already; so i was hoping to get some color on roubaix as well. thx

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    2017? I'd be willing to bet that the Roubaix gets redone and the model gets dropped just before the race... I guess it would be a 2017, but I doubt there will be any early info. They usually try to keep it hush-hush.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Fuse Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    This one is interesting to me because I kind of feel like you already have everything you could possibly bring to a new Roubaix in the new Diverge. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see either a new Roubaix that looks a lot like a racier Diverge or the Roubaix dropped from the line-up all together. There's just so much overlap between those two models that it kind of doen't make sense to have both as they are currently set-up.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    This one is interesting to me because I kind of feel like you already have everything you could possibly bring to a new Roubaix in the new Diverge. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see either a new Roubaix that looks a lot like a racier Diverge or the Roubaix dropped from the line-up all together. There's just so much overlap between those two models that it kind of doen't make sense to have both as they are currently set-up.
    No chance they drop the Roubaix. It is their best selling road bike and for good reason. There is some overlap with the Diverge, but they serve different purposes too.

They have similar overlap and gaps on the MTB side (Epic to Camber to Stumpy to Enduro, etc.) Riders can usually ride two adjacent bikes for similar purposes, but there are definitely advantages between them.

The road line is similar (Tarmac to Roubaix to Diverge to Crux). It comes down to the primary needs of the rider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    No chance they drop the Roubaix. It is their best selling road bike and for good reason. There is some overlap with the Diverge, but they serve different purposes too.
    I do not know if I am the only one, probably not. But my 2014 disc Roubaix was not my fathers comfort bike. And that is what I wanted it for. I wanted it to be more stout than my 2005-6 Roubaix was certainly, but felt they went way too far.

So will it stay their best seller now? That it really is questionable as to it's once comfort status being negated by that frame IME. I sold it in about 7 months and and did a Custom Steel that covers more ground figuratively and literally.

It seem probably to me the Diverge will surpass the Roubaix for buyers of 'now'. I think the Roubaix has lost it's way. In the end I sold off both of mine. Is it fair to compare production to custom though? Although same cost for me for each.

So not to bash or take away from folks which have bought or have SL4s, enjoy. I am curious if others feel as I do since the SL4 having owned and ridden one. And is the non disc SL4 Roubaix different I still have to wonder...
    Last edited by robt57; 11-01-2015 at 05:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

They have similar overlap and gaps on the MTB side (Epic to Camber to Stumpy to Enduro, etc.) Riders can usually ride two adjacent bikes for similar purposes, but there are definitely advantages between them.

The road line is similar (Tarmac to Roubaix to Diverge to Crux). It comes down to the primary needs of the rider.
    I hear you and maybe they won't, but most of the differences you are describing are primarily marketing. There just isn't a lot difference between a Roubaix and a Diverge out on the road. In fact, most media outlets thought the Diverge was the new Roubaix when it first was released. http://www.feedthehabit.com/road-bik...inder-roubaix/

When you take away the flashy marketing descriptions, it's basically a Roubaix + in my opinion.

Specialized Diverge review | CyclingTips

There are differences, but I simply consider them logical improvements on what SL4 Roubaix brought to the table. Intelligent minds can differ on the topic though and the guys at RKP agree with you for what it's worth. Even if they keep both the Diverge and the Roubaix, my guess is the new Roubaix looks a lot like the current Diverge with a few bells and whistles added. The purpose of the two platforms overlaps too much for it not to in my opinion. If the Crux is a Tarmac for dirt, and the Allez is a aluminum Tarmac (or now Venge), and the Roubaix a Tarmac for endurance rides, and the Diverge is a Roubaix for gravel grinders, where else is this thing going to go???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    If the Crux is a Tarmac for dirt, and the Allez is a aluminum Tarmac (or now Venge), and the Roubaix a Tarmac for endurance rides, and the Diverge is a Roubaix for gravel grinders, where else is this thing going to go???
    Maybe it's more about Spesh cross brand market segments. So no holes for folks to buy other brands. IMO, the only short coming beyond too stiff a frame was the Roubaix limit of a 30mm tire. So when to folk just say I will just get the Diverge being that is really the only difference? Or is it being the training and winter bike for the Tarmac owner to be the market niche for the Roubaix SL4 forward?? Tacmac rider likely not to feel the same way I do about the stiffness.. I have a Scott Addict LTD that is more compliant than that SL4 Roubaix was, and with smaller and lighter tires too. Comfort bike to race bike segment not withstanding...
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014

Agree 100%.. Truthfully, the Diverge is not something new.... its just a renamed, much improved Tricross. It serves the same market segment. The Tricross was not the Roubaix and neither is the Diverge.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
    Maybe it's more about Spesh cross brand market segments. So no holes for folks to buy other brands. IMO, the only short coming beyond too stiff a frame was the Roubaix limit of a 30mm tire. So when to folk just say I will just get the Diverge being that is really the only difference? Or is it being the training and winter bike for the Tarmac owner to be the market niche for the Roubaix SL4 forward?? Tacmac rider likely not to feel the same way I do about the stiffness.. I have a Scott Addict LTD that is more compliant than that SL4 Roubaix was, and with smaller and lighter tires too. Comfort bike to race bike segment not withstanding...
    I definitely think you are on to something here, but my honest feeling on the subject is that if you could blindfold riders while they tested a bike, my guess is that most guys wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Diverge and redesigned Tarmac Disc in the same size with the same seat post. The headtube heights are the virtually the same, the chain stay is only about 7mm longer and the bb drops about 7mm as well, but Diverge rides so well, I bet you could fool a lot of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    Agree 100%.. Truthfully, the Diverge is not something new.... its just a renamed, much improved Tricross. It serves the same market segment. The Tricross was not the Roubaix and neither is the Diverge.
    How do the Roubaix and Diverge differ concretely? What's similar on the Diverge and the Tricross (which was more hybrid to me than race bike or gravel grinder)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    How do the Roubaix and Diverge differ concretely? What's similar on the Diverge and the Tricross (which was more hybrid to me than race bike or gravel grinder)?
    Almost, as in so close to identical in GEOM may as well be the same.

I suspect mainly the fork [width & axle/crown/rake/trail] for bigger tire and rear stay differences for same reason? Touch more slope and standover for the taller tires on the Diverge it appears...

They both appear to be thru axle now as well...
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    So not to bash or take away from folks which have bought or have SL4s, enjoy. I am curious if others feel as I do since the SL4 having owned and ridden one. And is the non disc SL4 Roubaix different I still have to wonder...
    i have a 2013 S-Works Roubaix SL4 (non disc) and absolutely love it. Don't think it is even close to being harsh. Mine is about a 51 or 52 I think in case it matters. I do agree with you though that they seem to have stiffened it up greatly from earlier versions and then tried to reintroduce some compliance back into the equation with the COBL GOBLR post. I don't run that post on mine though but do have carbon bars, wheels (Zipp 202FC) saddle rails etc so that may take a little of the sting out of it. It's comfortable, fast and descends well, zero complaints from me. I also have a Cannondale Synapse (circa 2009 I think) the Roubaix is stiffer, but I wouldn't say any more harsh to ride.

There can be only one
    Like you, I have both a 2006 and 2013 Roubaix (Expert, 61cm, standard post). While it's clear that the ride has stiffened, I don't think that's a bad thing at all. The '06 feels mushy in comparison, and as my riding matured over the years, I wanted something more sprightly, but which still let me dial the fit to suit expeditions beyond 200k. The SL4 is exactly that. For my needs, the SL4 is much improved over the '06.

I also want to agree with TmB that Spesh's strategy was probably to create a stiffer, more responsive frame by moving some of the "comfort" compliance to the COBL WOBL seatpost, which the buyer has the option of taking or leaving. Putting that choice in the customer's hands works for me.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    I do not know if I am the only one, probably not. But my 2014 disc Roubaix was not my fathers comfort bike. And that is what I wanted it for. I wanted it to be more stout than my 2005-6 Roubaix was certainly, but felt they went way too far.

So will it stay their best seller now? That it really is questionable as to it's once comfort status being negated by that frame IME. I sold it in about 7 months and and did a Custom Steel that covers more ground figuratively and literally.

It seem probably to me the Diverge will surpass the Roubaix for buyers of 'now'. I think the Roubaix has lost it's way. In the end I sold off both of mine. Is it fair to compare production to custom though? Although same cost for me for each.

You are literally the only person I've ever heard complain about the Roubaix being too stiff... and it seems to be a major sticking point with you. During the spring/summer I often do a Tuesda night ride with a shop. There are quite a few fast, older dudes, all of them on Roubaix's. They all rave about the ride quality and they're super fast. I rode a SWorks Roubaix once, on a short test ride around a few blocks... unfortunately, it was raining and the ride wasn't long enough for me to really test or compare anything.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    You are literally the only person I've ever heard complain about the Roubaix being too stiff... and it seems to be a major sticking point with you.

And the reason it is gone, so yeah. Do you think I doth protest too much? ;)
    Not to mention the steel frame with steel fork that replaced it has a total bike weight of 1 kb more with less DA parts on it. The Roubaix is also porky IMO.

As far as what you have ever heard, let me say this. When it was a few days old, I called Spesh and asked why my ''comfort bike' was less comfortable/compliant than my Scot Addict LTD. The person I spoke with said they were getting a lot of that, and he sent me a CG-R post 2nd day gratis. I assume it was a manager level person to have the power to do that. He also said the 8R and the 10R would ride the same when I said maybe I shoulda got the 10R instead.

Mine was a Sora Disc bike I pulled the wheels day one, and got a Dura Ace groupo on the second day. So the CG-R went on, and then the bigger tires started to get it to ride reasonably nice. I use the term comfort bike, but I did not want it to be like my 2006 was, or the SL2 I test rode to buy in 2012 and passed on. But yeah, it is a whole different animal.

I already had a go fast bike that was 6 lbs lighter [after I Dura Aced the Roubaix and built some nice wheels 2 lb lighter than stock Axis] that only fits one size smaller tires. And a Six13 Ultegra 4.5 lbs lighter. I guess what I though I was getting it for turned out to be wrong for me. I did not want another race stiff bike, and it was more stiff than race IMO. And stiff in the most non compliant of ways IMO as compared to even my other two way lighter race bikes. For Pete's sake I have a 90s steel 753 frame and fork bike that is a few lb lighter. [Dura Ace too]

The main reason I piss and moan about it it the geom is so spot on for me, I hated to give that up. And the little added length is nice for long fast rides et al.

And BTW the 'Comfort' claims soon disappeared from the web test after the SL4 came out. It had always boasted being a comfort platform previously.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    And the reason it is gone, so yeah. Do you think I doth protest too much? ;)
    Nah... not really. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I've just read it in a LOT of your posts.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Nah... not really. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I've just read it in a LOT of your posts.

Did you see what replaced it, or want to for that matter?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

Porky?

Mine (S-Works) is 6.8kg with pedals, cages and computer mount. Not exactly heavy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    Mine (S-Works) is 6.8kg with pedals, cages and computer mount. Not exactly heavy.

Disc bike? Size?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    No, like i said above, it's a 2013 non disc, around a 51 or 52, DA9000, Zipp 202 (my 404's are a little heavier), Look Keo pedals, S-Works bars, post and saddle. I can't post a pic from my mobile but it's in the Spesh bike pic thread a couple of pages back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    No, like i said above, it's a 2013 non disc, around a 51 or 52, DA9000, Zipp 202 (my 404's are a little heavier), Look Keo pedals, S-Works bars, post and saddle. I can't post a pic from my mobile but it's in the Spesh bike pic thread a couple of pages back.

So as I said, ;) my 58CM 8r Disc Roubaix I thought porky. I would have had to spend a lot more to even get it under 20 lbs. And use wheel builds that made no sense for a Clyde on a big bike.

Now my 61CM Scott Addict LTD weighs less then your porker. ;) I just had to, sorry.
    10 speed DA and my own wheel build, SL23 on BHS hubs and Lasers. Carbon cages and TI Keywin Pedals. The extra lightness only helps when I pick it up to put it in the back of the SUV. It was 13.6 lb with tubular 46mm Reynolds, but not a disc bike either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Haha - that's fine. My bike is stock, have made no effort to lighten it at all so could lose some weight here and there if wanted to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Haha - that's fine. My bike is stock, have made no effort to lighten it at all so could lose some weight here and there if wanted to.
    As could I on my fat ars. But it is kind of nice to have it be so light that I don't think about not hanging some weight on it and me. But it can get expensive as you probably well know owning the S-Work anything...

I had an S-Works CG-R post on my SL4. ;)

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Did you see what replaced it, or want to for that matter?
    I'm sure I've seen it somewhere, but I don't remember it. All I do remember is that you hate the Roubaix and its way to harsh, so that says something.

but if you want to show me again what replaced it, I'd be glad to look.. I love to look at bike porn.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

banned
    Sep 2015
    Will add, more than one review of the SL4 Roubaix has panned the bike for too harsh a rear triangle. So I believe Rob is right. But keep in mind guys that stiffness sweet spot is in the eye or rather butt of the beholder. ;) The Roubaix has effectively the rear stiffness of a Tarmac which may not play as nice with the rest of the Roubaix geometry compared to the Tarmac because of the Roubaix's more laided out angles.

So Specialized had a plan in mind with the SL4 Roubaix that many don't agree with. I own a Roubaix SL3. To me, quite possibly the Roubaix SL3 is one of the greatest overall bikes ever created. The bike came out in 2011 and I purchased the SL3 Pro frameset in Dec 2011. Most agree the SL2 Roubaix was too whimpy and didn't have the lively feel of a race bike. Too soft and muted and the bike didn't step out when pushed. That all changed with the SL3 which reviewers and this owner love.
    Specialized said they increased torsional stiffness of the SL4 Roubaix by 17% but kept the vertical compliance the same as the SL3. This didn't comport with the riding experience however...most believe the relationship between vertical and lateral compliance are even related as one article addressed this relationship about the SL4 Roubaix.

I will steer clear of the SL4 Roubaix. I don't like a rough riding bike...especially within the genre of endurance bike. My prediction is Specialized which is an extraordinary company will reinvent the Roubaix with the SL5 model and give it the ride of the SL3 but with better energy transfer from pedals to the rear wheel like the Tarmac.

PS: the notion that the Roubaix should be dropped for the Diverge is ridiculous. They are different bikes. On pavement or smooth dirt, a Roubaix will smoke a Diverge...more aerodynamic and lighter. A Diverge wins on the rough stuff with the ability to mount wider tires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast