Roubaix Disc vs Crux Disc for long adventure rides
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

Roubaix Disc vs Crux Disc for long adventure rides

I am looking for some input here...

I am a mountain biker - I have 6 mountain bikes in the garage (my wife has mother 6 of her own). I use to have a road bike that, at one time, was ridden once a week for some training, but I had transitioned more and more to mountain biking.

So, I am looking to get a bike for long adventure rides - mostly paved, but also hitting some fire roads and the occasional trail - 60+ miles with 80% pavement.

Originally I was thinking about getting a CX bike - specifically looking at the 2014 Crux EVO Disc. Not that I plan to do any CX racing - but CX bikes seem to be more capable of mixing pavement and dirt.

But, as I looked more at the geometry of the Spec Roubaix (SL4 SRAM Disc) and compared to the Crux - they look very similar. And I wondered, with the distances I am thinking about - mostly road riding and some fire roads - would the Roubaix be a better ride? Could I put some wider tires on the Roubaix - and use it on fire roads? Trails?

Should I worry about tire clearance with the Roubaix?

What about the frame - is the Crux frame beefier to deal with off road riding?

What about the wheels? It seems the Crux Evo Disc and Roubaix SL4 Disc have the same Spec AXIS 2.0 Disc wheelset - so it seems that if they work for the Crux, they should be OK for the Roubaix off-road.

Thanks for your input.

RoadBikeReview Member

Cool Awol

Hi I would go for a Crux Evo or the new Awol.
    In New Zealand we do not get the Crux Evo! it's only being made in limited number's and at this time only in the USA
    So for me I got a Awol (one of only a few in NZ too!) plus the Awol has no Toe Overlap! unlike the Crux's.
    I'm going to be riding Grade 3+ MTB tracks and a load of Dirt roads so the Awol is better for Me!
    All the best

Kiwi Pete...

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    the Roubaix does give you the additional high frequency vibration dampening of the zertz inserts.

The only real question is... what is the max tire that you can use on the the Roubaix. Your LBS, I hope can answer that (or if they can swap in the CruX rear tire and Crux front wheel to verify, as a starting point.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    the Roubaix does give you the additional high frequency vibration dampening of the zertz inserts.

The only real question is... what is the max tire that you can use on the the Roubaix. Your LBS, I hope can answer that (or if they can swap in the CruX rear tire and Crux front wheel to verify, as a starting point.
    Interestingly, there happens to be another thread about the max size tire that will fit a Roubaix. With canti's there is a guy running 30c tires - and the issue is not frame clearance, it's the clearance if the canti brakes. With disc brakes, they say 38 should fit.

But it is surely a good question to check at the LBS, as you suggest.

It seems I can either take a road bike and make it more dirt-able.... Or take a CX bike and make it more road worthy.

I am thinking the Roubaix would be more comfortable for long days on the saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member

As I have said before!

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Interestingly, there happens to be another thread about the max size tire that will fit a Roubaix. With canti's there is a guy running 30c tires - and the issue is not frame clearance, it's the clearance if the canti brakes. With disc brakes, they say 38 should fit.

But it is surely a good question to check at the LBS, as you suggest.

It seems I can either take a road bike and make it more dirt-able.... Or take a CX bike and make it more road worthy.

I am thinking the Roubaix would be more comfortable for long days on the saddle.
    Hi well on a 2013 Disc Roubaix frameset only a 30mm tyre will fit But on the new 2014 Disc Roubaix's a 35mm tyre fits well.

On the 2013/14 Crux we have fitted so 42mm tyre's and had good room for dirt.

Kiwi Pete (Working at a LBS close to someone )

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I sold my 2012 Roubaix Elite frameset this year and migrated to a Carbon Crux Pro lvl frame. The Roubaix did have more compliance, but I have made up for it by upgrading the the CG-R seatpost as well. I bought the Crux to do some gravel grinders and I wanted the extra clearance for the ability to run wider tires. I have 33mm Tracer Pro's on them now with tons of room. FYI - when you go from gravel to pavement on 33's, it feels like you're riding a LaZyboy... :P

I have a 2nd wheelset with 25mm road tires and this is my new Gravel/Cross/Road all in one bike.
    2016 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon X1 SRAM 1x11 Force, CG-R Post - Gravel/Cross/Road
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp SRAM X9 Triggers, Guide R Brakes 1x10