Roubaix Expert vs. Comp frame difference?
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5

    Roubaix Expert vs. Comp frame difference?

    My LBS really stressed the difference between the carbon frames on these two bikes. I can understand the component differences, but the frame differences are a bit over my head.

    Can anyone give me any insight on whether it's worth spending the extra money just for the frame? I'd like to think I'm buying a bike I can keep for a long time and in that case if there's a justifiable reason for one frame over the other, I'd be interested. I'm an avid mountain biker, but just getting into road bikes. I've ridden both bikes, but have a hard time determining a difference in them. However, I'd hate to be down the road 5 months and then understanding what I should have been noticing and regretting my decision.

    Any insight would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Matt

  2. #2
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13,003
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewdhill
    My LBS really stressed the difference between the carbon frames on these two bikes. I can understand the component differences, but the frame differences are a bit over my head.

    Can anyone give me any insight on whether it's worth spending the extra money just for the frame? I'd like to think I'm buying a bike I can keep for a long time and in that case if there's a justifiable reason for one frame over the other, I'd be interested. I'm an avid mountain biker, but just getting into road bikes. I've ridden both bikes, but have a hard time determining a difference in them. However, I'd hate to be down the road 5 months and then understanding what I should have been noticing and regretting my decision.

    Any insight would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Matt
    There's two sides to this - a technical side and a 'seat of the pants' side. On the technical side, the two frames use different manufacturing processes. The Comp uses a monocoque design (lugs and tubes joined together) and the Expert uses what Spec calls AZ1 (as one) which joins the two triangles into one. This process creates a lighter frame than monocoque.

    From the seat of the pants side, you've already tested both and see no difference. That tells a lot, assuming you traversed roads similar to what you'd be riding and for a length of time that allowed time to tell the differences.

    Geometry is the same for the bikes, so handling will be the same. The weight of the Comp versus Expert (I'm doing this from memory) will be about 1 lb. Components are all upgraded on the Expert, which is reflected in the weight.

    Seeing as you're just getting into road biking and can't tell a difference in ride quality, I'd suggest you save some money and go with the Comp. If you haven't had a bike fitting, use some money towards that, because in the long run fit will probably matter more than monocoque versus AZ1.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Dr_John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,914
    I agree entirely with PJ's response. No doubt the Expert is technically a better frame, but I suspect it'd be difficult for you and most here, including me, to tell the difference during riding.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    73
    Guys, same story re: SL vs. Pro frame (weight and feel)?

  5. #5
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13,003
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Ride
    Guys, same story re: SL vs. Pro frame (weight and feel)?
    There's even less of a difference between these two framesets. Both use AZ1 construction, but the SL uses 10r carbon, the Pro, 8r. Except for weight, I doubt you'd decifer a difference in the ride or handling. Actually, the Expert and Pro framesets are the same, so unless you're focusing on the components/ wheelsets for weight savings, IMO the Expert is the better value. Same holds true in the Tarmac line.

    You don't mention your experience and time road biking, but (going back to my first post here), I consider fit of utmost importance.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352
    IMO the Expert is the better value. Same holds true in the Tarmac line.
    I agree wholeheartedly! I've got one of each and they personally feel that the both bikes are at the sweet spot of the pricepoint.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Tschai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,750
    Some people may think this is lame, but I give a lot of weight to aesthetics. If I like the way a bike looks, I will like the ride better and will be happier overall with the purchase. To that end, when I first saw my Roubaix Expert, I had to have it. It just hit all the right nerve endings for me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.