Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahillock View Post
    Interesting there is still interest in the original Venge. It rides like a plank of wood and it isn't all that stiff where it should be (HT and BB). At this point, I'd rather sport an Allez Sprint over the Venge, especially if the reviews of the Allez Sprint being comfortable and as still as it supposedly is at the HT and BB. The Venge really wasn't all that aero compared to its competitors and what is out now and doesn't ride well enough to make up for the aero deficiencies.
    Funny... I know many people that ride the Venge and I've never heard anyone specifically complain about the Venge ride quality, at least not from people that ride it all the time... and yet, in a span of a week, on two separate message boards I've heard people say "rides like a plank of wood" I wonder if its you, saying the same thing on both boards.

I'm sure the Venge gives up something in terms of ride quality to the Tarmac, but IMO, its very little... certainly much less than other "aero" bikes.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Fuse Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    Funny... I know many people that ride the Venge and I've never heard anyone specifically complain about the Venge ride quality, at least not from people that ride it all the time... and yet, in a span of a week, on two separate message boards I've heard people say "rides like a plank of wood" I wonder if its you, saying the same thing on both boards.

I'm sure the Venge gives up something in terms of ride quality to the Tarmac, but IMO, its very little... certainly much less than other "aero" bikes.

Funny, I use to own a Venge until I sold it because I hated it that much. Know a bunch of guys that I ride with that did the same. This isn't just me, search around on the internet and you will see that others have the same thought about it. If you don't have an issue with it, great. But plenty of people (besides me) don't like the way it rides.

"Of course, this ride quality will be described by some as harsh."
    The Specialized S-Works Venge - Peloton Magazine

But from trying a multitude of other aero frames, the Cervelo aero road frames ride significantly more comfortable for me (especially S3), same with the Felt AR, the Trek Madone, Scott Foil and the Canyon Aeroad that a local guy brought into the USA himself. Compared to what else is offered for aero road frames now, the original Venge is an outdated frame in my opinion. Just isn't all that aero when you look at independent data compared to frames of the same generation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Picked up my "plank of wood" on Saturday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S Works Venge Frame Set question (non Vias)-imag0534.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    There is nothing seriously wrong with the ride quality. I put 12,000 miles on a couple of them, including some 100-mile plus days.
    Head and shoulders over alloy, and true coal carts like the Ridley Noah. Had one of those and vertical compliance was similar to 24-inch steel I-beam.
    But that didn't put me off the Noah either... it's probably just me, but i just don't understand people treating ride quality as a serious issue. Its not like any of these bikes have coil springs... by any reasonable standard they all ride pretty hard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just get the S-WORKS cranks.

carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Question for tricrossrich, carbonLORD, or anyone...
    When I picked up my frameset (2012 SW Venge), the tech manager of the shop advised me to run the rear shifter cable through the non-drive side of the downtube and cross over to the drive side (essentially crossing the shifter cables inside the frame). He had the same year Venge and said that this routing would provide better shifting. He showed me his personal bike, sure enough he had his routed that way. The idea of this seemed questionable, but that's how he was running his routing.
    Anyone know about this set up???

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mike67 View Post
    Question for tricrossrich, carbonLORD, or anyone...
    When I picked up my frameset (2012 SW Venge), the tech manager of the shop advised me to run the rear shifter cable through the non-drive side of the downtube and cross over to the drive side (essentially crossing the shifter cables inside the frame). He had the same year Venge and said that this routing would provide better shifting. He showed me his personal bike, sure enough he had his routed that way. The idea of this seemed questionable, but that's how he was running his routing.
    Anyone know about this set up???
    They call that the "cali cross" method... I've heard a lot of people talk about it and use it and most say good things, but I've also heard people say that it can cause issue because the cables can drag/snag on each other and keep unwanted tension in them that inhibits shifting.

My bikes are NOT cali-crossed.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

RoadBikeReview Member
    They call that the "cali cross" method... I've heard a lot of people talk about it and use it and most say good things, but I've also heard people say that it can cause issue because the cables can drag/snag on each other and keep unwanted tension in them that inhibits shifting.

My bikes are NOT cali-crossed.
    Those were my thought as well- Thanks for the info
    Almost ready to build!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Well, I run mine also Cali Crossed because the routing is much smoother then.
    Never perceived any cable drag or had shifting issues for that matter...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Just updated my Venge with eTap....... And love it even more now! Yes, the ride on my S-Works Tarmac Disc is more compliant, but the Venge is definitely faster. Still comfortable enough on a 4+ hour ride.

Last edited by HaroldC; 03-17-2016 at 05:15 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HaroldC View Post
    Just updated my Venge with eTap....... And love it even more now! Yes, the ride on my S-Works Tarmac Disc is more compliant, but the Venge is definitely faster. Still comfortable enough on a 4+ hour ride.

Nice looking ride!
    Which wheels are you using? Hard to tell from the picture

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice looking ride!
    Which wheels are you using? Hard to tell from the picture
    If you zoom in you can see the 303 and the firecrest in red.

The is one of my favorite Venge frames too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mission accomplished-
    S Works Venge Frame Set question (non Vias)-imag0688.jpgS Works Venge Frame Set question (non Vias)-imag0658.jpg

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Mission accomplished-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0688.jpg 
Views:	6368 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	313413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0658.jpg 
Views:	2394 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	313412
    wow... what a beautiful plank of wood. Good luck with it.

One of my buddies that was looking for an SWorks Venge frame set ended up finding this very rare, 2013 Team Astana Venge that was formerly ridden by Andrea Guarini. I did a full shoot of it for Crank Addicts that should appear on the blog on the 15th.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Rich, that's one sweet looking bike! I'll keep an eye out for your photo shoot.

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked with my new plank of wood. Took it out yesterday for the first ride, I did 40.8 miles full of wind gusts, head winds and cross winds. I was seriously amazed how stable the bike was. The ride was full of Strava PR's. I also own a 2014 SW Tarmack with Williams system 58 wheels. I was concerned that these two bikes would ride very similar to each other, and then decide to sell one. Lucky for me they both have very different ride characteristics, so far I really couldn't choose one over the other..

coaster

My friend has a Venge and a Tarmac. He said he only uses the Venge on shorter rides on smooth roads cuz it feels like a brick compared to the Tarmac. This is just one example but I've heard similar from other Venge owners. Unless you're getting the frameset for sub $1500 I can't imagine choosing it over other options now available.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    My friend has a Venge and a Tarmac. He said he only uses the Venge on shorter rides on smooth roads cuz it feels like a brick compared to the Tarmac. This is just one example but I've heard similar from other Venge owners. Unless you're getting the frameset for sub $1500 I can't imagine choosing it over other options now available.
    I have both. I have around 9000 miles on my Tarmac and only 100 on my new Venge. Though these two frames share similar geometry and are made by the same manufacturer, they are two completely different animals, comparison is not necessary. Yes, I noticed the "brick" feeling right off, I was expecting the harsher ride on this frame. So far it's a non issue, I'll report back on this after a few thousand miles. So far I like my plank of wood...
    Oh, I agree about the price considering they are discontinued. I found my S Works with full warranty for 2k, it was hard to pass up.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I'm not disputing the fact that some people find the Venge stiff... look we have all have different idea about what feels right for the riding we do, heck, there's a guy on here that routinely complains that his Roubaix is so stiff its un-rideable... so obviously there's different strokes for different folks.

More than anything, I thought it was his use of "plank of wood" that I thought was interesting.. Particularly because I had seen it used almost word for word in a few places all at the same time. It made me think it was all the same person.

Personally, I love my Venge. It seems to always want to go faster and faster and I love the way it looks. I find it funny that despite people suggesting that newer, more aero and ever better complying frames are out there, there still seems to be plenty of people seeking out the 1st generation Venge frames.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Different strokes for different folks, but I don't understand why anyone would own a bike they feel rides like a plank of wood today....
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Different strokes for different folks, but I don't understand why anyone would own a bike they feel rides like a plank of wood today....
    I personally was making light of the guy who originally compared the Venge to "a plank of wood". I thought it was funny. Anyway that's not how I would describe the ride characteristics of this frame. To each their own...

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I personally was making light of the guy who originally compared the Venge to "a plank of wood". I thought it was funny. Anyway that's not how I would describe the ride characteristics of this frame. To each their own...
    I would agree... I would not describe the Venge as a plank of wood either. I think the ride is lively and does everything I want it to do. I'd actually go so far as to say that the Venge is the most comfortable bike I've owned... but then again my other bikes are an Allez and my old Tricross. The Tricross, despite having the least aggressive geometry was the harshest ride. Of the bikes I've ridden that my friends own, the BMC TMR01 was the least impressive to me... to me, it felt like nothing, just had no feel.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    My comment really wasn't directed at you Mike. I was actually kind of questioning how accurate the original quote is. I can't see someone owning a bike they don't like riding much when their are so many options out there.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 04-05-2016 at 04:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would agree... I would not describe the Venge as a plank of wood either. I think the ride is lively and does everything I want it to do. I'd actually go so far as to say that the Venge is the most comfortable bike I've owned... but then again my other bikes are an Allez and my old Tricross. The Tricross, despite having the least aggressive geometry was the harshest ride. Of the bikes I've ridden that my friends own, the BMC TMR01 was the least impressive to me... to me, it felt like nothing, just had no feel.
    My biking is limited to the Carve MTB I started on and the venge which I have about 10000 miles on between the two I've owned and a few rides on my dad's Roubaix and Tarmac.

I can't say I found the Roubaix any more comfortable but part of that could be the stock wheels on a lower end Roubaix vs my HED wheels which I picked up almost right away. It has been a while since I've been on his tarmac and he rides 54 vs my 56 but It didn't feel like it was noticeably more comfortable in terms of compliance, but again, stock wheels on his Tarmac as well. The Tarmac I did do a good 60 mile ride, but it was early last season. I didn't really notice it being a better climbing bike either but that might also be because of stock vs aftermarket wheels.

He has since sold his Roubaix and now has the Tarmac and an entry level venge he picked up at the end of last year so I might try taking his Tarmac for a spin again this year see if I notice any difference. Might try putting my wheels on it to see if I can get a better comparison.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know! diggin up an old thread, adding a '12 Venge in red/white/black off ebay to my mix of bikes and have a 6800 group I will build it with but looking at finding a nice set of 3t Aerotundo carbon bars or the newer aerofly carbon bars? Thoughts what works best for you guys?

coaster
    You can't go wrong with Easton EC90 Aero.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12