Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

S Works Venge Frame Set question (non Vias)

I'm shopping for an S Works Venge and was wondering if there were any significant changes in the frame between 2012 and the last year model 2015? I found a great deal on an 2012 S Works project black, brand new in box with warranty. Thanks for any info!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know they changed where the shifter cables enters the frame from 2014 to 2015. So 2012 to 2014 will have the plastic thing on the left, 2015 and on it will be part of the frame.

S Works Venge Frame Set question (non Vias)-shifter-cable-entrance.jpg

I'm not sure if anything else changed but it would likely be minor like this.

If you were looking at a full bike, 2015 and on do come with an aerofly bar instead of a standard bar but that can be an easy aftermarket upgrade and they also went to 11 spd. Since you are looking at just a frame these shouldn't be issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good info, Thanks.
    I found this 2012 frame at a local shop yesterday, almost pulled the trigger.
    Looked at their website today and it's sold...
    I noticed on the Specialized website, they still have some of the non Vias Venge frames, but no S Works. The hunt goes on-

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike67 View Post
    Good info, Thanks.
    I found this 2012 frame at a local shop yesterday, almost pulled the trigger.
    Looked at their website today and it's sold...
    I noticed on the Specialized website, they still have some of the non Vias Venge frames, but no S Works. The hunt goes on-

I wouldn't go by what the specialized site has on their website. Check with a local specialized dealer and see what they can order. Dealers have their own version of the site that shows what is available to them. When I was looking a couple years ago they had versions from previous years so you might have several options available. I don't think most stores keep actual frames in stock except for maybe higher end stores, but most of them should be able to put in an order for whatever is available. If it is on the dealer website you should be able to order from any Spec dealer so if the sales guys at one place aren't that great you can try somewhere else. We used to have 3 dealers pretty close by, unfortunately the one I liked and would discount stuff for me, the owner retired and closed the store.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    I wouldn't go by what the specialized site has on their website. Check with a local specialized dealer and see what they can order. Dealers have their own version of the site that shows what is available to them. When I was looking a couple years ago they had versions from previous years so you might have several options available. I don't think most stores keep actual frames in stock except for maybe higher end stores, but most of them should be able to put in an order for whatever is available. If it is on the dealer website you should be able to order from any Spec dealer so if the sales guys at one place aren't that great you can try somewhere else. We used to have 3 dealers pretty close by, unfortunately the one I liked and would discount stuff for me, the owner retired and closed the store.
    Right.... but there are no more S-Works Venges available... at least that's what I've been told.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Fuse Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmm, that could be the case. I haven't actually looked for a venge specifically since I got mine a couple years ago. Might try a store around here and see if I can confirm that.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    Hmm, that could be the case. I haven't actually looked for a venge specifically since I got mine a couple years ago. Might try a store around here and see if I can confirm that.
    That's what I've been told at least... I've had 4 friends want one since November or so.. 2 of them got lucky and found shops that happen to have frames in stock in their size. The 3rd ended up finding a shop that deals in former pro tour bikes and bought a 2014 Astana team bike that was Guarini's (pics coming soon, don't worry) and the 4th was SOL.. couldn't find one. One of the shops that sponsors our team is a Specialized dealer and they couldn't get one... I suggested he call shops all over the east coast, but he didn't want to.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

RoadBikeReview Member
    What size are you looking for mike67? I might stop by one of the shops this weekend to see about something for my bike and I'll ask about the sworks venge frames. Rich seems to be more up to date on this though and maybe it isn't as easy as it used to be to find the S works frames anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey thanks, I would appreciate that!
    I need a 58c
    My next step was to start calling shops in hope to find one in stock

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just talked with my local Specialized dealer, there are only 2 2015 S Works Venge framesets left in inventory at Specialized. A 49c and a 54c

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I have a brand new 2013 S-Works Venge frame set available in the Project Black color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S Works Venge Frame Set question (non Vias)-img_3780.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    That looks awesome!
    Can you PM me with details?
    Thanks

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Just talked with my local Specialized dealer, there are only 2 2015 S Works Venge framesets left in inventory at Specialized. A 49c and a 54c
    That 49 must be a return or something.... because that is exactly the size two of my friends were looking for.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

RoadBikeReview Member
    yeah could be. He said the 49 had the Sagan paint scheme.

learning
    i have a large quantity of frames and bikes i bought from an auction. i have a couple of Venge frames brand new
    2012 and 2013 size 52, 56 and 58 i believe, i would have to check all the inventory.
    '14 Scott Addict Team Issue
    '15 Specialized S-Works Tarmac custom build

RoadBikeReview Member
    Friday was my lucky day, I found and bought a brand new 2012 S Works Venge (project black) with warranty. I'm picking it up this week. Build pics coming soon. Thanks for all the help

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Friday was my lucky day, I found and bought a brand new 2012 S Works Venge (project black) with warranty. I'm picking it up this week. Build pics coming soon. Thanks for all the help
    sweet... can't wait to see.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

RoadBikeReview Member
    So far I have Ultegra 6800 shifters and derailleurs. Dura Ace 9000 brake calipers.
    I'm undecided on the crankset. I have an Ultegra 6800 crankset on my Tarmac and I like it except at times the bottom bracket bearing make a popping sound, I'm told it is due to the spacers needed to accommodate the Shimano spindle...

So, I'm considering the S Works crankset or maybe Sram Red (not sure if the Sram Red crankset is compatible with Ultegra)?

Any suggestions?

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    So far I have Ultegra 6800 shifters and derailleurs. Dura Ace 9000 brake calipers.
    I'm undecided on the crankset. I have an Ultegra 6800 crankset on my Tarmac and I like it except at times the bottom bracket bearing make a popping sound, I'm told it is due to the spacers needed to accommodate the Shimano spindle...

So, I'm considering the S Works crankset or maybe Sram Red (not sure if the Sram Red crankset is compatible with Ultegra)?

Any suggestions?
    I'm running Shimano cranksets in both of my bikes, using the Praxis BB conversion kit... no issues here.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, I've considered the Praxis kit. Both my frames came with Ceramic Speed bearings, I've been quite impressed with them and would like to keep them in the frame.
    Tech at Specialized told me the popping noise is just that, a noise, and will not damage anything over time. So I thought I would try a BB30 compatible crankset this time around, I just don't have any experience with this type of crank, I've always used Shimano.

On another note, any thoughts on Enve 6.7 vs. 7.8 wheelsets?
    It is completely flat where I live, mile after mile of country and Delta roads.

learning
    Yeah, I've considered the Praxis kit. Both my frames came with Ceramic Speed bearings, I've been quite impressed with them and would like to keep them in the frame.
    Tech at Specialized told me the popping noise is just that, a noise, and will not damage anything over time. So I thought I would try a BB30 compatible crankset this time around, I just don't have any experience with this type of crank, I've always used Shimano.

On another note, any thoughts on Enve 6.7 vs. 7.8 wheelsets?
    It is completely flat where I live, mile after mile of country and Delta roads.

i have a set of enve 6.7 for sale if you are interested lol
    they have a bout 4k miles and are in perfect condition.
    i have Enve 3.4 in my tarmac and love both sets but dont need both of them, the 6.7 are sitting there collecting dust.
    '14 Scott Addict Team Issue
    '15 Specialized S-Works Tarmac custom build

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gus300 View Post
    i have a set of enve 6.7 for sale if you are interested lol
    they have a bout 4k miles and are in perfect condition.
    i have Enve 3.4 in my tarmac and love both sets but dont need both of them, the 6.7 are sitting there collecting dust.
    Thanks for the offer, but I also own 6.7's. I was curious if anyone had tried the 7.8's yet.
    Enve claims they are the fastest wheels they make...Could be marketing, we all know how that goes.

Anyway, my 6.7's are currently on my Tarmac and ride incredible. I plan on moving them to my new frame and try some 4.5's on my Tarmac, I do occasionally ride the hills in the SF Bay Area.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the offer, but I also own 6.7's. I was curious if anyone had tried the 7.8's yet.
    Enve claims they are the fastest wheels they make...Could be marketing, we all know how that goes.

Anyway, my 6.7's are currently on my Tarmac and ride incredible. I plan on moving them to my new frame and try some 4.5's on my Tarmac, I do occasionally ride the hills in the SF Bay Area.
    Well 7.8's are the most aero set of wheels that Enve makes, so I'm sure they're the fastest, but that's gonna be on a flat course.

I've run both 50mm and 60mm wheels on my Venge and the 60's are definitely "faster".

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Interesting there is still interest in the original Venge. It rides like a plank of wood and it isn't all that stiff where it should be (HT and BB). At this point, I'd rather sport an Allez Sprint over the Venge, especially if the reviews of the Allez Sprint being comfortable and as still as it supposedly is at the HT and BB. The Venge really wasn't all that aero compared to its competitors and what is out now and doesn't ride well enough to make up for the aero deficiencies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've never had comfort issues on my venge. I have 9921 miles on it over the past couple years including many 100+ mile rides. Can't say I've noticed much if any stiffness differences between it and a Tarmac but since I don't race, it isn't often I'm all out sprinting.

While its aero numbers aren't as good as some of the newer bikes like the Cervelo, supposedly the ride on that is even harsher.

Then there is the subjective side of it where some people just like the way the venge looks.

There is also a noticeable price jump if you want the newest bikes (VIAS/madone 9) and in the case of the VIAS a weight and possible braking penalty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast