Specialized Road Questions? - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Jedi Master
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadEye View Post
    shimano cranks don't play well with BB30's. there needs to be an 'adapter' of sorts. surely can be done as many have done and will do on framesets. I agree this is a money issue.
    Specialized framesets ALL come with Shimano adapters.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vertr View Post
    Specialized framesets ALL come with Shimano adapters.
    only if you choose to buy a frameset and build it up.

Shimano adapters don't come with complete bikes.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

Jedi Master
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    only if you choose to buy a frameset and build it up.
    That is what "frameset" means.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadworthy View Post
    What 'piece of hose'? The 2011-2014 needs nothing more than it already has.
    Its a great design the way it is.
    Is there a channel built into the BB, that they don't use that hose I had in my 2007 ? After breaking through the dirt, the cable slid in with no problem. I was kind of worried about pulling it out again, but wanted to try it and the cable went back in with no problem.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by George M View Post
    Is there a channel built into the BB, that they don't use that hose I had in my 2007 ? After breaking through the dirt, the cable slid in with no problem. I was kind of worried about pulling it out again, but wanted to try it and the cable went back in with no problem.
    George,
    If you want any further advice, post of picture of the area of the bike you speak up and I will be happy to respond. No reason for any concern...perhaps you aren't, but a picture will help explain best practice for any issue you may have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Specialized_Joe,
    what is the weight of the Tarmac SL4 FACT 9 frame and fork?
    Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Specialized Joe,
    Please tell me when the back order for a S Works Roubaix in silver, complete bike is coming.
    Waiting from the fall of 2013.
    Thanks,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialized_Joe View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm part of the bike development team at Specialized and am here to talk about our road bikes and associated products. Let me know if you have any feedback or questions about the bikes. I'm here to help!

Thanks!
    For the Venge, have you explored hidden brake locations (e.g. behind the fork and seat tubes)?

What other areas are you exploring to change the Venge and make it even more aerodynamic?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Are you saying that you'd like rim brake options on all the road bikes?
    yes, please. And if you could partner with Shimano for rim-hydraulic brakes, that would be perfect!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Hello Joe,

I was curious about Zipp (clincher) 303's and the S Works Tarmac SL4. I am hearing that there are 2 years of SL4's that you cannot use 303's and the new SL4 you can.

Can you use clincher 303's with the Tarmac SL4 or not?

RoadBikeReview Member

Thumbs up Specialized feedback/questions?

Hey everyone,

I'm part of the bike development team at Specialized and am here to talk about our road bikes and associated products. Let me know if you have any feedback or questions or about the bikes. I'm here to help!

Thanks!
    Hi Joe Thanks for being on line

My Question is are you going to make some larger Tubeless Tyres?

Yes I know you have S-WORKS TURBO TUBELESS 700c x 24mm
    and ROUBAIX ROAD TUBELESS 700c x 23/25mm

I would love to ride S-WORKS TURBO TUBELESS 700c x 26mm or ROUBAIX ROAD TUBELESS 700c x 25/28mm.

Keep up the good work

Kiwi Pete. . . . .

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have some actual questions Joe! Ceramicspeed bearings come installed on my S-W Venge. I also see some bearings come with the 2013 S-Works crank (Part #: 0621-1204). What are they? Steel? If my Ceramicspeed bearings go out of spec within the 2 year warranty they offer do I contact them, or go through Specialized? Also, on the S-W Crank I have there is no wave washer. Does the 3 point preload ring replace the necessity for the wave washer? Thanks.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Joe,

How about:
    1. A 2014 S-Works Roubaix in the Black option for the frameset only?
    2. Get rid of the FSA cranksets. Have them come with a Praxis PF30 bottom bracket so that your bikes can come with an actual Ultegra crankset.
    3. Make the groupsets full ultegra, not have them include a 105 cassette.
    4. Offer a full matte black on all the S-works models. I don't care for the fancy color schemes and prefer a stealth, non-flashy black frame design that doesn't look dated after the new models come up the following year.

Hey everyone,

I'm part of the bike development team at Specialized and am here to talk about our road bikes and associated products. Let me know if you have any feedback or questions about the bikes. I'm here to help!

Thanks!
    2010 Pinarello Dogma 60.1
    2013 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinosx View Post
    I second a desire for Speedplay specific shoes but I would be happy if Specialized at least had their road shoes in stock.
    I have a 2014 Roubaix Expert which is a great bike but I am not real happy with the wheels. At this price point I think Specialized cheaped out on rims and hubs. The rims have a noticeable seam which thumped when I brake and in general do not match the quality of the rest of the components. i replaced them with custom wheels with Ultegra hubs and Hed C2 rims.
    Also not thrilled with the FSA crank instead of Ultegra.
    Also why on earth is the only Roubaix with Ultegra Di2 a disc brake bike? Really odd to me and I would have probably bought a Di2 Roubaix instead of mechanical even though mechanical 6800 is really good. I almost bought another brand because of this. Introduction of disc brake bikes while denying your customers Di2 Ultegra sounds more like Specialized serving their needs instead of their customers.
    Would like to see a Secteur with Ultegra like the Allez with Ultegra.
    Bonus for the SL 4 in all ranges instead of higher end. I did not buy a Specialized bike previously because the only frames I liked were the higher end and I thought the price was too high compared to other alternatives like Giant that were just as good but cheaper. I am not all that price sensitive but felt the price was too high and smacked of gouging on the previous higher end frames.
    I will repeat that Specialized seems to have major issues with keeping items in stock. People can't buy your products if you don't have them to sell so i wonder what is up with your supply chain management.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're disappointed in the stock wheels. You are speaking of the Fulcrum S4 wheels, correct? Did you speak to your LBS about it? Something like that should be covered by Fulcrum's warranty.

I completely understand your frustration about a lack of inventory. I am mostly involved in product development so I can't comment about things affecting the stock on hand.

Good thoughts about the spec on Roubaix and Secteur. We try and provide the best ride experience at every price point on all our bikes. The frame is the heart and soul of a quality bike, so we tend to err on the side of less costly parts on a high quality frame instead of dressing up a lower level frame with more expensive components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    I agree with these statements. Specialized up prices the frames so a complete is a better bargain, but then cheaps out by offering Ultergra gropsets that are not a complete group. Sneaking in a 105 cassette and some FSA cranks.

More feedback, no one wants a FSA crank! People want an Ultegra crank and a matching cassette. A complete group.

Stop making wheels. If someone wants $2200 60mm deep clinchers they will pay the extra money and go with the wheel experts like Zipp, HED and ENVE.

I really do not need a speedplay specific shoe but its been almost a year and inventory on S-Works shoes, the Evade helmet and many of your frames has been out of stock for almost a year. You have virtually no S-Works Venge left in the warehouse, which tells me either an SL5 is on the way or somethings wrong.

Still, I am the proud owner of your S-Works Venge, S-Works shoes, even the 74's and the S-Works Evade in all black (which is not available in Europe for whatever reasoning) so I can't complain personally, but I would have made you more money if these things were available because I have lots of people who are interested, but wont miss another season over it.

Good feedback, thanks!
    Regarding wheels, have you ridden the CLX 40's or 60's?
    We have worked really hard over the past few years to make Roval a respected brand in the marketplace and feel they stack up very well to the competition in regards to weight, aerodynamics, ride quality, braking quality, etc...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinosx View Post
    Regarding that post...I was told by my LBS that there is a weight limit on it of 220 lbs. Accurate?
    They are almost correct. Pretty much all of our carbon bikes and components, including the CG-R post, have a weight limit of 240lbs (109kg). Thanks for checking!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dkilburn View Post
    Specialized Joe,
    Please tell me when the back order for a S Works Roubaix in silver, complete bike is coming.
    Waiting from the fall of 2013.
    Thanks,
    Hey there,
    Sorry to hear you've been waiting so long! Availability depends on your country, size, and colorway. I'm not too involved in the supply side of things but if you PM me with the other details I can try and look into it further. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bikingmeditation View Post
    For the Venge, have you explored hidden brake locations (e.g. behind the fork and seat tubes)?

What other areas are you exploring to change the Venge and make it even more aerodynamic?
    Great questions, although I can't really divulge what we've explored on that bike. Brake type and location certain comes into play. With the new wind tunnel at our disposal we're exploring any and all possibilities to gain more free speed on the Venge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    Hi Joe Thanks for being on line

My Question is are you going to make some larger Tubeless Tyres?

Yes I know you have S-WORKS TURBO TUBELESS 700c x 24mm
    and ROUBAIX ROAD TUBELESS 700c x 23/25mm

I would love to ride S-WORKS TURBO TUBELESS 700c x 26mm or ROUBAIX ROAD TUBELESS 700c x 25/28mm.

Keep up the good work

Kiwi Pete. . . . .

Hey there,
    I can't say whats in the pipeline for tubeless tires but I definitely see the need. I spent some time down in NZ and could have used some 28mm tubeless tires myself!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    I have some actual questions Joe! Ceramicspeed bearings come installed on my S-W Venge. I also see some bearings come with the 2013 S-Works crank (Part #: 0621-1204). What are they? Steel? If my Ceramicspeed bearings go out of spec within the 2 year warranty they offer do I contact them, or go through Specialized? Also, on the S-W Crank I have there is no wave washer. Does the 3 point preload ring replace the necessity for the wave washer? Thanks.
    Hey there, finally some questions I can answer!

The bearings that come with the cranks are a steel bearing-the same bearing that comes on the non SW bikes.

CeramicSpeed should be the warranty contact on their bearings unless you are in a part of the world that they do not support. In that case, your LBS should contact their Specialized Service Center for warranty support.

You are correct. The newer cranks use the 3-point ring in lieu of the wave washer to adjust bearing preload. Take care to snug all 3 screws evenly so your cranks spin smoothly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisVuitton View Post
    Joe,

How about:
    1. A 2014 S-Works Roubaix in the Black option for the frameset only?
    2. Get rid of the FSA cranksets. Have them come with a Praxis PF30 bottom bracket so that your bikes can come with an actual Ultegra crankset.
    4. Offer a full matte black on all the S-works models. I don't care for the fancy color schemes and prefer a stealth, non-flashy black frame design that doesn't look dated after the new models come up the following year.

Thanks for the feedback. Our 2014 bikes aren't undergoing any more changes for the year as they are already in production and out in the markets. Stay tuned for next year's bikes though!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey there, finally some questions I can answer!

The bearings that come with the cranks are a steel bearing-the same bearing that comes on the non SW bikes.

CeramicSpeed should be the warranty contact on their bearings unless you are in a part of the world that they do not support. In that case, your LBS should contact their Specialized Service Center for warranty support.

You are correct. The newer cranks use the 3-point ring in lieu of the wave washer to adjust bearing preload. Take care to snug all 3 screws evenly so your cranks spin smoothly.
    Thanks Joe!

Ceramic speed is sending me a replacement without question. Great that you teamed up with such a reputable company. Thanks for answering my question on the wave washer as well.

Regarding the other comment on wheels. I agree the CLX 40 and 60 are a major improvement from previous models and do ride nice. However for the msrp it seems a little high when you consider other options out there.

My last comment, I see a new S-Works Toupe saddle on the web site but someone forgot to program the specs and features, just a blank page with 3 images. Thought I'd point it out incase it was overlooked. Looks like I'll be getting a new saddle soon . Thanks again for everything.

s:cL
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    I had asked the Masterlink FAQ group about the possibility of having another Spring Classics sale this year. They stated it would occur in mid March. Is that still going to happen?

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisVuitton View Post
    Joe,

My Roubaix Expert comes with the Ultegra Cassette and chain. The Roubaix Comp does not.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    My Roubaix Expert comes with the Ultegra Cassette and chain.
    Just bought my Expert on March 3rd, it too came w/ the above Ultegra

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast