Specialized Road Questions?
Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014

Hey everyone,

I'm part of the bike development team at Specialized and am here to talk about our road bikes and associated products. Let me know if you have any feedback or questions about the bikes. I'm here to help!

Thanks!

EDIT:
    If you have a new question, its much easier for me to find and answer if you select "Reply to Thread" instead of just replying to someone else's post. Otherwise I'm liable to miss your question all together. Thanks!
    Last edited by Specialized_Joe; 03-14-2014 at 02:39 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sweet i will say i love my Sworks Roubaix SL4!

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

Why doesn't specialized offer speedplay specific shoes?
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just went to buy a Keg Storage Vessel Specialized Bicycle Components because I think it is a great idea and I could get rid of my saddle bag. The problem is the Keg is way to small, even the guys at the shop I went to said the same thing. They wanted to display it and the tool wrap as shown online with the co2, tube, tire levers & tool, they couldn't get it to fit together. I took my stuff, tool, patch kit and tube and there was no way I could get my stuff to fit either, so no I am looking at some of the alternatives. I think it should be at least as big as a small water bottle. What would be even better is to offer two sizes, one the size of a small water bottle and the other the size of a large water bottle.

I do love my Secteur by the way.

SS-
    My quest for 140.6 and passion for all things cycling https://multisportunleashed.blogspot.com/

2015 Felt AR3 upgraded to Ultegra 6870 Di2
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Apex -Just about how I want it
    2005 Iron Horse MK3 Expert - many years of trail duty and still my go to Mt. Bike.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialized_Joe View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm part of the bike development team at Specialized and am here to talk about our road bikes and associated products. Let me know if you have any feedback or questions about the bikes. I'm here to help!

Thanks!
    Joe,
    Love your products.
    Have to ask about the new COBL seatpost which directionally is great concept and maybe the future of more rigid rear triangle with compliancy built into the seatpost. But why in the world did the engineers go with a single Pave style bolt spec'ed at 10 ft-lbs to keep in place? A disappointment. I rode the Pave post with identical single bolt and it would lose its tilt adjustment on rough roads. Tell your chief engineer he should have made it 2 bolt like all other top seatposts on the market including Specialized very own 2 bolt seatpost. Your engineers could have easily made it a 2 bolt micro adjustable post that would never lose adjustment and be adjusted with lower torque.

Please let me know if you would convey my thoughts. I am a mechanical engineer btw.
    Cheers and welcome to the forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    Why doesn't specialized offer speedplay specific shoes?
    @tednugent
    Good question... Speedplay represents a fairly small portion of the overall pedal market. The additional costs of tooling and stocking inventory for those few users hasn't been worth the benefit at this point. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar07 View Post
    I just went to buy a Keg Storage Vessel Specialized Bicycle Components because I think it is a great idea and I could get rid of my saddle bag. The problem is the Keg is way to small, even the guys at the shop I went to said the same thing. They wanted to display it and the tool wrap as shown online with the co2, tube, tire levers & tool, they couldn't get it to fit together. I took my stuff, tool, patch kit and tube and there was no way I could get my stuff to fit either, so no I am looking at some of the alternatives. I think it should be at least as big as a small water bottle. What would be even better is to offer two sizes, one the size of a small water bottle and the other the size of a large water bottle.

I do love my Secteur by the way.

SS-
    @SilverStar07
    I'm glad to hear you love your Secteur, those are rad bikes! The keg is certainly a snug fit and its optimized to carry just a few specific products. One suggestion I have is to try using one of our thinner turbo tubes instead of a regular weight tube in the wrap; that might free up just enough space.
    I'll certainly pass your feedback on to the design team for future products. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Hey everyone,

Thanks!
    Hey Specialized Joe,

Can you get me a definite confirmation as to whether your "Plug and Play" fenders will fit MY2014 Roubaix Disc models.

It's been very annoying to receive so many conflicting reports from your own representatives (online and via phone) that I ended up going with an alternate brand. I really wanted them but I wasn't willing to be the guinea pig and order them only to have them not work. Providing this information clearly online would be very beneficial to future purchasers of your bike and myself.

There can be only one
    Sorry to beat a dead horse, but... Rim brake options on all models, please.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    A common question asked:

what's the weight of the various DT Axis wheelsets?
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh man, here we go...

Welcome Joe and thanks for opening Pandoras Box.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar07 View Post
    I just went to buy a Keg Storage Vessel...
    I have a solution!

Use your jersey pockets and the Keg.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feedback... that I have shared with your warranty dept and inside reps... Work with Shimano to assure my Ultegra Di2 rear derailleur doest swing up and do this to my S-Works Venge again.

Still love the bike, even after the 200 repair.
    carbonLORD.com

So. Calif.
    @tednugent
    Good question... Speedplay represents a fairly small portion of the overall pedal market. The additional costs of tooling and stocking inventory for those few users hasn't been worth the benefit at this point. Thanks!
    Probably depends a lot on the region & target user, too.

Among racers in So Calif, I'd estimate at least 1/3 are on Speedplay.
    There are crits almost every weekend, and Speedplays are both fast to clip-in and provide a bit more ground clearance when pedaling thru turns.

I suspect the casual or rec cyclist will opt for Shimano pedals to match what's probably already on their bike ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    So...SL5 at this year's Paris-Roubaix???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo73 View Post
    So...SL5 at this year's Paris-Roubaix???
    Now there is a good guess. And Venge Evo under Cav for TDF?

Oddly, I suspect Joe isn't going to answer that one, not smart marketing.

Here's a better one: Joe, can you guys make just one thing that DOENST fit well?
    I'm sick of looking like a fan boy. The shoes, even the damn helmets, seem made for me. Something has to go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_h View Post
    Probably depends a lot on the region & target user, too.

Among racers in So Calif, I'd estimate at least 1/3 are on Speedplay.
    There are crits almost every weekend, and Speedplays are both fast to clip-in and provide a bit more ground clearance when pedaling thru turns.

I suspect the casual or rec cyclist will opt for Shimano pedals to match what's probably already on their bike ;-)
    Absolutely. I think Speedplay pedals offer a lot of performance advantages...you never know, maybe we'll do something in the future!
    Plenty of riders use our shoes with their pedals and it works great, so don't let the lack of a specific shoe stop you

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Hey everyone,

Thanks!
    I have a 2011 Roubaix SL3 Expert. Since purchase, it's never shifted correctly. I have had it into the bike shop over and over and over again, and they have never been able to get the bike to consistently shift well. I posted here from time to time but not for a while as I basically gave up.

The recurring problem is that, when in my big ring up front, the bike will not shift up the rear cassette fluidly into the easier gear. I often have to double shift and then go back a gear. I have had the cables replaced, a pro tune, provided the shop with the service bulletin, etc. and the problem remains. The mechanic at the bike shop (a very large Specialized dealer with multiple locations) told me the 2011 Roubaix frame has issues and he has seen plenty of similar problems for that model year.

Wondering if it is possible that my frame has an issue that prevents it from smoothly shifting as described.

Are you aware of problems with the 2011 Roubaix SL3 frames?

Do you have any suggestions to solve this ongoing problem?

Thanks

banned
    Nov 2011
    I will answer for Joe as I own the identical bike. Shifting issues related to the bike itself is a myth. Reality is, your bike shop doesn't know how to set the bike up.
    Ultegra 6700 and DA 7900 previous to the latest generation were more problematic on all bikes due to soft derailleur springs coupled with Shimano's first foray into under handlebar wrap cable routing which adds friction. Bad nexus.. My guess if you have a Shimano driveline. Further Specialized changed the spec for cable routing. Perform a search for 'California Cross'. Specialized has an installation PDF on line you can download. The cables should be crossed inside the downtube for least cable friction.
    If you want you can post a picture and I will confirm what routing you have.
    I built my Roubaix SL3 Pro...same as your Expert with Campy and it is the best shifting bike I have owned and I have owned a lot of bikes.
    Shifting performance is largely set up related on all bikes. There is nothing wrong with the bike. Btw, the most problematic shifting internally cable routed bikes with Shimano driveline were internally cable routed S-series Cervelos where the cables entered the top tube right behind the steerer. Smaller housing radii = more internal cable friction.

Quote Originally Posted by mcwenzel View Post
    I have a 2011 Roubaix SL3 Expert. Since purchase, it's never shifted correctly. I have had it into the bike shop over and over and over again, and they have never been able to get the bike to consistently shift well. I posted here from time to time but not for a while as I basically gave up.

The recurring problem is that, when in my big ring up front, the bike will not shift up the rear cassette fluidly into the easier gear. I often have to double shift and then go back a gear. I have had the cables replaced, a pro tune, provided the shop with the service bulletin, etc. and the problem remains. The mechanic at the bike shop (a very large Specialized dealer with multiple locations) told me the 2011 Roubaix frame has issues and he has seen plenty of similar problems for that model year.

Wondering if it is possible that my frame has an issue that prevents it from smoothly shifting as described.

Are you aware of problems with the 2011 Roubaix SL3 frames?

Do you have any suggestions to solve this ongoing problem?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I appreciate the response but we had the same discussion two years ago and my bike still does not shift properly. My bike shop is one of the largest Specialized dealers in the country with multiple locations and I have had it worked on by multiple people in multiple locations. I have given them the bulletin and even printed out our prior discussion on this exact issue with the California Cross. The bike has had the cables redone multiple times. I have had managers and head mechanics at different locations involved because of the ongoing problem.

The head mechanic at one location told me he has seen tons of problems with the 2011 SL3 and it's a known issue with some frames.

I guess it's possible that all the mechanics at three different locations of one of the largest Specialized dealers in the country can't set the bike up correctly but it seems highly unlikely to me.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwenzel View Post
    I appreciate the response but we had the same discussion two years ago and my bike still does not shift properly. My bike shop is one of the largest Specialized dealers in the country with multiple locations and I have had it worked on by multiple people in multiple locations. I have given them the bulletin and even printed out our prior discussion on this exact issue with the California Cross. The bike has had the cables redone multiple times. I have had managers and head mechanics at different locations involved because of the ongoing problem.

The head mechanic at one location told me he has seen tons of problems with the 2011 SL3 and it's a known issue with some frames.

I guess it's possible that all the mechanics at three different locations of one of the largest Specialized dealers in the country can't set the bike up correctly but it seems highly unlikely to me.
    Yes, as statistically improbable as your situation, the bike techs...I use this term loosely in your case, collectively don't have a clue. All of them. You can put them all in a room together and give them an IQ test and all would be below average.
    There is NOTHING problematic about Specialized SL3 internal cable routing that contributes to poor shifting. Your problem could lie elsewhere and be even unrelated to the cable routing etc. I could walk you systematically through your poor shifting performance, but my sense is you wouldn't be able to follow it. This is why you defer to bike shops for your tune ups. Many of my club riding friends have high end bikes. What do I end up doing? Fix all the botched cable installations and poor shifting after they get their bikes back from the bike shop after a tune up.

If you want to do this over the web with me, it will take a meticulous approach. You start at the shifter and work back. It may involve you creating a video clip. You would learn a lot in the process and finally put your shifting issue to bed.
    If you want to take the bike interior routing completely out of the equation, this is simple to do. You install a 2000mm housing and bare cable outside the bike routing. You connect directly from the shifter to the rear derailleur...no internal routing and ride the bike. This once and for all proves if cable routing has anything to do with poor shifting performance.

The way to root cause any shifting issue, is to pull the cable off the bike and start from the shifter and work back. First you have to start with the basics which means the hardware involved. Attach a Park Derailleur Hanger Adjustment tool on the rear hanger and make sure it is dead plum to the entire circumference of the rear wheel rim. You need to remove the rear wheel and cassette and check the freehub. You need to check the cassette for bent teeth or improper back cage (largest cogs) location, lockring torque etc. You need to check your axle cone tightness for axial play in your wheel bearings. I will state again, there is NOTHING in the bike geometry that contributes to poor shifting. The internal cables between shifter, bottom cable guide plate and end of chainstay where the loop to the derailleur is made are completely unfettered by any interference. There is in fact no difference in shifting performance between any Specialized SL3 bike with internal cable routing compared to an external cable routed bike. Why? Because the cables routed internally, do not touch anything. They are isolated in their own space and do not touch any adjacent frame tubes. So you need to lose your fixation on the problem being with the bike and focus on the rear wheel, derailleur hanger, front shifter and rear derailleur. What groupset do you have on the bike? My guess is its 6700 Ultegra or 7900 DA.
    Good luck.

PS: if you want to start this process, I suggest you begin a new thread. Also you want to start with a very precise description of why your bike won't shift well e.g. only related to rear derailleur or does it affect front shifting? Is shifting performance poor stair stepping up the cassette (down shifting) or traversing down the cassette in back (upshifting) etc. ?
    Last edited by roadworthy; 02-24-2014 at 06:58 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I run DA 9000 cables on my Roubaix SL4 with Shimano 105 5700. It shifts almost perfect every time. On my Roubaix SL2 with external cable routing the shifting with the stock Jagwire cables left a lot to be desired. I would get some skipping or stuttering on at least one ore two gears on the cassette. I had a loaner Roubaix SL4 with 6700 and Jagwire cables that shifted just as poorly as my SL2. I would highly recommend trying DA 9000 or Ultegra 6800 cables on your SL3.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just put new cables on my bike and it shifts like a charm.
    The only thing that got to me was, on my 2007 Roubaix, it had a piece of hose to put the front derailleur cable, on the 2012 it doesn't. I know how to get around that now, but it would sure help if the had that hose in all of them.

I did not use jagwire cables by the way. I used Shimano's brand, but I forget what they call them.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by George M View Post
    I just put new cables on my bike and it shifts like a charm.
    The only thing that got to me was, on my 2007 Roubaix, it had a piece of hose to put the front derailleur cable, on the 2012 it doesn't. I know how to get around that now, but it would sure help if the had that hose in all of them.

I did not use jagwire cables by the way. I used Shimano's brand, but I forget what they call them.
    What 'piece of hose'? The 2011-2014 needs nothing more than it already has.
    Its a great design the way it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadworthy View Post
    What 'piece of hose'? The 2011-2014 needs nothing more than it already has.
    Its a great design the way it is.
    I couldn't get the wire fished in and I thought I was hitting the shell of the BB, so the bike shop said to bring it in. I finally got some of the old cable and pushed it in from the bottom and a bunch of dirt came out first and then the cable. That made me happy, as I like to do everything myself. I thought about putting some grease in the hole to keep the dirt out, but I thought the grease would catch more dirt.

I'm thinking about using all Shimano components now. That's cable, chains and whatever else I need. I've been using KMC chains and I understand that they make Shimano chains as well.

My 2007 had a small white hose in the bb, to fish your cable through.

Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast