08/09 Sram Force front shifter takes "two clicks" or a sh!t ton of throw/force?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

08/09 Sram Force front shifter takes "two clicks" or a sh!t ton of throw/force?

I'm getting back into cycling after my parents were hit and nearly killed in a bike accident where they were hit by a truck...off topic?...I used to be a bike mechanic so I know a little bit about setting up derailleurs and shifters etc.

I think I have it set up right, I'm using a force fd, standard force cranks, and a shimano ultegra 10 speed cassette and just bought a 1031 Sram chain from the LBS..

My question is when shifting up to the big ring it seems like it takes a LOT of "force" to get it to shift over and if I don't overexagerate my movements it seems like it gets caught in a small shift. Like it is set up for three chain rings or something. Then I shift down and to really and completely shift up t the big ring I have to do like a triple throw up into the big ring.

I guess it's not a big deal and now that I know, I can shift up there no problem, I'm just not familiar with Sram and wanted to make sure that's the way that it's supposed to be.

Thanks in advance

RoadBikeReview Member
    The 08 and 09 shifters are different. The 08 does not have the zero loss like on the 09.

The 08 will have a longer throw...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks man, got it set up and it shifts great...went out on a 35 mile ride right after I built it and had no problems...like butter! I still got it! haha

Why do people complain about the early force? Mine works great and looks great

RoadBikeReview Member
    No complaints really...but if you try the Zero Loss on the front...its a pretty noticeable difference in throw.