Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2013 Red

59K views 237 replies 69 participants last post by  Wadl 
#1 ·
Looks like 2013 is going to be a good year for top end group sets!

SRAM Red 2013

#42 ·
Seems like tim johnson's at the reveal in Spain. His red bull helmets peaking out from the SRAM kitted riders on the demo bikes

Personally, I'd like to get my hands on the new fd and find out it works fine. In the meantime my old DA 7800 steel caged derailler mated to sram shifters is doing a capable job moving the chain on my rotor rings

#45 ·
FTA:
Now the bad news: It’s not compatible with the current gen (original) Red levers. Because of the modified pivots and links, SRAM had to change the cable pull. Those looking to upgrade in sections will at least need to get the new levers along with the front derailleur. It’s optimized to work with the new X-Glide chainrings.

Source: BikeRumor.com

#49 ·
Just had the first group in my workshop and did a short Youtube video and photo essay on my flickr. glorycycles's Channel - YouTube

Most interesting thing to me is the large space and open hole in the shifter that in my mind can only be for hydraulic cylinder.

The beefed up chainrings are a welcome change and the brake caliper is really fantastic.

BB stays the same and for the most part the shift feels the same.

#51 ·
Hey CliveDS.
Thanks for posting that video. Did you say that RED will be available March 8th? I watched your vid on my phone and the sound quality is not great on it. Also, will there be a compact crank availabe at the tme of release or will that come later?

Thanks in advance and keep posting videos!

#55 ·
Looking at all of this i wish theres just going to be a bundle for just the...
Front/Rear Derailers. Shifters and crankset. Thats what i want to upgrade but get the feeling it would somehow be cheaper to upgrade the whole groupset.
Or pick up a old red groupset upgrade the remaining parts to that.
What are you guys going to do?

#56 · (Edited)
hmmmmmm not so sure about this Yaw feature. Here's what I put on my blog

"...The only major difference worth mentioning is the new "YAW" feature on the front derailleur. What does this mean? The back half of the derailleur moves more than the front.

In theory this is a good thing. But it seems like an disaster waiting to happen if you even think about cross chaining. I can see it now. You're off the front on the one race you do a year and as you hit the climb you start dumping gears while staying in your 53. BOOM GOES THE CAGE OF YOUR UBEREXPENSIVE DERAILLEUR. Why, because the chain is all the way to the left and the designers thought it would be awesome to make it lean to the right. Hey, it could happen........"

#57 ·
hmmmmmm not so sure about this Yaw feature. Here's what I put on my blog

"The only major difference worth mentioning is the new "YAW" feature on the front derailleur. Whats this mean? The back half of the derailleur move more than the front.

In theory this is a good thing. But while it seems like an disaster waiting to happen if you try at all to cross chain. I can see it now. You're off the front on the one race you do a year and as you hit the climb you start dumping gears while staying in your 53. BOOM GOES THE CAGE OF YOUR UBEREXPENSIVE DERAILLEUR. Why, because the chain is all the way to the left and the designers thought it would be awesome to make it lean even more to the right. Hey, it could happen......."
seriously? you do remember that this is SRAM's top-of-the-line RACE group, right? don't you think that maybe...just maybe...the guys at SRAM (who have a little bit of race experience) know that racers cross-chain all the time? and that they've more than likely designed their RACE parts w/ this in mind?

#61 · (Edited)
With or without that new front derailleur, I and many people use the whole cassette while on the big ring. I'm sure the drivetrain wears out a bit faster but I never had any sudden failures or other problems. Even wear is acceptable. The Yaw thing wont change anything apart that you wont have to trim the derailleur when you do get to the extreme cross-chain combos... if you don't want to cross chain, the new Red wont force you to...

I do agree that the old Ti-caged Red front derailleur wasn't that good. Light yes, it worked everytime yes, but shifts were noticably slower than with, say, a Force derailleur. Another reason to stay on the big ring! :p If trim is eliminated, I'm all for it... but I'm more interested in faster shifts, a stiffer derailleur.

The weight loss of the new Red isn't as dramatic as I thought it would be... I was expecting more difference in the crankset... But I don't mind too much, I wouldn't use that crankset anyway.

#62 ·
By the way, everything is pretty much cross compatible between the old and new Red (or other groups). Cable pull were not changed, they're the same for the brakes and both derailleurs. Cog and chainring spacing too. The only thing is that if you were to use the new front derailleur with the old levers, you would have trimming but for nothing. But the opposite, new levers with an old derailleur, you would lose the trim but might need it if you cross chain (on my cross bike with 38/46 rings, I can use the whole cassette on the big ring without trimming already)...

And I heard there will be another rear derailleur compatible with an Apex sized rear cassette with a 32T cog.

#68 ·
That new brake design is interesting. Tire clearance is always nice to have, and that multi step quick release might come quite handy.
The ease of reach adjustment on brake and gear levers is nice for the shorter of finger.

But Campy it aint! :p

#69 ·
so some of the reports, which mostly are press release rewrites and therefore likely based on SRAM's words, seem to be saying the crank isnt compatible with say shimano shifters/der.
is that possible? or just the usual manufacturer's suggestion that it "might not work perfectly" to make you worried enough to buy a full group of their stuff?

#72 ·
I was at my LBS in the Boston area yesterday when a SRAM rep was in with a prototype 2012 Red group. I was very impressed with the weight, looks & ergonomics the whole group. The levers are really comfortable, and the crank looks really nice. The chainrings look as if they'll help shifting, and I really like that the 5th spider arm bolt is on the crankarm itself.

#76 ·
Problem is their mathematical ability is severely compromised.

According to Sram's own figures, 2011 Red is 1926 in GXP form and 1796 in BB30 form, both using a braze-on front mech and 11-23 cassette.

Taking Sram's own figures for 2012 Red we get 1843 and 1739 for the two versions. So a grand weight reduction of 83g & 57g respectively.

The only way one can get to approaching 200g is by comparing 2011 GXP to 2012 BB30. Hardly a fair or accurate method, is it?

So Red is lighter, great. But it isn't anywhere near the claimed amount nor the rumours of half a pound. Marketing triumphs again.

#79 ·
Well, I would say they use a Force (or re-branded steel Red) derailleur because it actually works, not because it adds weight. The titanium Red front derailleur sucks. Been there, done that. The day mine broke was a blessing, as it Forced me to "upgrade" to the Force derailleur. Way better.

I'm pretty interested to see the new Red FD, with the Yaw design. That's what I like about SRAM --- innovative developments. Maybe a few of them don't work out, but I'm still a very happy SRAM customer, both MTB and road!

#87 ·
See the booklet on new SRAM RED

Has everyone seen this?

One thing that concerns me is that there is no mention of a compact version of the crank. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.