Rear 09 Rival shifter broke today... - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    My second right Rival shifter broke today. This one lasted about a season. That's it, no more Rival for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't tell from your picture whether your replacement was a 2009 series or has the newer graphics for 2010, like my replacement.

Admittedly, I was a little annoyed that the replacement does not match the original left shifter. Perhaps I should not be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Well, my first ever RIVAL set ... like others, the rear shifter broke today. Waiting on reply from LBS about HOW to get it sent off for warranty replacement. Like the "Doubel Tap," but hate hearing it is to fragile. :-\

Stumpcake!
    I got the return authorization on my 2010 Force rear shifter Thursday (had to go out of town and am just getting to removing it off the bike tonight). Thinking about it all weekend and riding my one of spare bikes with 7 year old Ultegra 6500 that's been wrecked several times and still shifts flawlessly, I think when I get the warranty replacement I'm going to ebay the Force groupset. As much as I like to rag on Shimano, my bikes with Ultegra 6500 and 6600 have been solid for years (7 and 5 years respectively). 8 months and 1200 miles is pathetic for a part to break...and it makes me really question SRAM's QC/product design since this is happening to several others across product lines. I don't want to worry about this crap again in another 8 months.

I guess now I need to decide if I'm gonna ditch the whole groupset or just the shifters and derailleurs.
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem."

RoadBikeReview Member
    It might be just as cheap to just buy some Red levers. That's what I did last year when my Rival rear broke and it took more than a month to get a replacement. I must admit that the Red rear shifts so much better than the Rival. I figure if Red is strong enough for "the pros" it probably won't break for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Does this problem exist with force or red?I was ready to buy a pair of rival shifters tonight...i'm paranoid now.Maybe it would be better spending the xtra $$$ for either force or red.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The original problem first surfaced in the 2009 Rival rear shifter. The newer Rival versions are supposed to be stronger, but I can't confirm that.

I have not read of any failures with Red shifters, which is why I bought a pair of Red levers while waiting a month for a replacement Rival lever.

Hang in there a bit and someone else may update this thread, but Red seems to be trouble free. I guess you do get what you pay for sometimes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    It can be dangerous to make judgements on SRAM based on one broken shifter. They appear to have had a component issue and then fixed it and these things take time to uncover. Having had to replace a broken 9-speed Dura Ace shifter in the past (many other tales of this too) one could have exactly the same reaction to Shimano and the bike forums have plenty of dissatisfaction with any brand if you look for it.

Failures apart, I think with the shifting systems we choose it comes down to the usual issue of do we like it, does it draw attention to itself and bother us after a while or does it blend into the background. Is it important enough to take a dislike to or change.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Just picked up my Cannondale SuperSix with BRAND NEW Rival 2011 Shifters. They were the Warranty Replacement from SRAM, who also paid for new cables. Kudos to SRAM for not only honoring the warranty but replacing a broken shifter (hey it happens) with the latest upgraded model! AND yes, sending a complete matching $400 set of the "latest and greatest."
    Thanks SRAM.
    :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Another one bites the dust...

Here's mine. 2010 Rival. Installed new July 2010. 4385 miles. Not very happy considering I'm in the middle of race reason.

Does anyone know, unquestionably, if the internals of Force or Red are "better"? I love the shifting, and the whole bike is SRAM, so not exactly desiring to move to Shimano.

Thinking I may move to Red shifters, get this warrantied and then ebay them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

2010 Force broken

My 2010 SRAM Force rear shifter broke on Sunday. Exactly the same failure as the pictures posted here for the Rival. The bike has only 3000 miles on it. I've contacted the dealer and waiting to hear back.

From my experience, Force isn't any more reliable than Rival. I went to SRAM after years of problems with Shimano, and I like the shifting and ergonomics. If this happens again, I'll give Campy a try.

Bill Anderson
    Red Bank, NJ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I dropped my 2010 rear shifter off at my LBS last Tuesday. Yesterday, these showed up. They could have easily just shipped a single 2011 and told me to run two different levers, but I ended up with a brand new front shifter as well.

In the world of taking 6-8 weeks to look at something, and the buyer paying shipping and usually getting something refurbished, SRAM is on the ball when it comes to warranty work. I am truly impressed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones View Post
    I dropped my 2010 rear shifter off at my LBS last Tuesday. Yesterday, these showed up. They could have easily just shipped a single 2011 and told me to run two different levers, but I ended up with a brand new front shifter as well.

In the world of taking 6-8 weeks to look at something, and the buyer paying shipping and usually getting something refurbished, SRAM is on the ball when it comes to warranty work. I am truly impressed.
    Sweet! That's great that they took care of you.

-D

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Nice to see SRAM is doing the right thing. Is 2011 Rival any different than 2010? Looks the same as my 2009.

Asad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Never had 2009 Rival, but if feels and shifts the same as my 2010. Obviously the graphics are different, so glad I got a pair if they weren't going to replace it with a 2010...

Stumpcake!

That's awesome they took care of you!!! I hope my wait pays off with a matching set.

I'm still waiting. I've been out of town the last 4 weekends and kinda lost track of time so I went back through my stuff. I initiated the return process on 5/9, got the rma on 5/12, SRAM received my broken shifter on 5/24, I was updated on 6/2 from the retailer that they were waiting on SRAM to ship out the replacement, and it's 6/11 now with no shifter. I'm not mad, but somewhat disappointed.

I have to admit that each passing day is getting me one step closer to stripping down my frame, selling the remaing SRAM parts on ebay, and hanging another manufacturer's bits on it though.
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will be watching with interest. Late last year, when my local bike shop handled the warranty return on mine, all I received was a rear shifter. It does not match the existing front shifter. Yeah, I was disappointed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

sram lever breakage

is this design or manufacturing defect? IOW, will all levers eventually break?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Exclamation

My right Rival shifters from 09 isn't even shifting. I can't explain it... It'll click once but there's no tension on the cable. Opened up the housing and found that the reel in which the cable is attached has rotated too far and now is unable to return to the original position. I'll take pictures of it when I get home from work... this is a bummer.
    Last edited by omgsram; 07-22-2011 at 08:21 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well...I'm going on my second right Rival rear shifter. My current one (the replacement) is still working but part of the internals broke on a group ride this weekend.

What it's doing now is if I go to the largest rear cog it no longer has the extra click that keeps it in the largest cog. It breaks loose and drops down two gears. I could tell the moment it broke on a climb when I was looking for one more gear...I pushed to shift up and it hit the limit, then "Bam" it went way past what it's supposed to. I can put it in the smallest cog, so I can still ride and hill climb, but if i push it in again it goes way past the "Built in stop" and drops two gears (sometimes three).

The rest of the shifts work OK, but I can tell they are quickly getting worse. I figure I have another week or so before it blows up.

I went ahead and ordered a rear "Red" shifter to replace the Rival since it's internals are mostly metal instead of plastic and there doesn't seem to be nearly the issues with the Red shifters compared to the Rivals.

With that said...my front shifter is still working great after 2 full years and about 14000 miles.
    Last edited by Wookiebiker; 07-25-2011 at 06:28 PM.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Positive it's not a cable tension issue?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    What it's doing now is if I go to the largest rear cog it no longer has the extra click that keeps it in the largest cog. It breaks loose and drops down two gears. I could tell the moment it broke on a climb when I was looking for one more gear...I pushed to shift up and it hit the limit, then "Bam" it went way past what it's supposed to. I can put it in the smallest cog, so I can still ride and hill climb, but if i push it in again it goes way past the "Built in stop" and drops two gears (sometimes three).
    That's very similar to what happened to my right Rival shifter. Was definitely not a cable tension issue.

Asad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asad137 View Post
    That's very similar to what happened to my right Rival shifter. Was definitely not a cable tension issue.

Asad
    Nope...not a cable tension issue...it died during today's ride. It will shift down, but no longer shifts up, which would lead me to believe that it has stripped out the gear mechanism to push the derailleur back up the cogset.

Hopefully my Red shifter will be in soon since I'll be stuck on my TT bike until it gets in.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    Nope...not a cable tension issue...it died during today's ride. It will shift down, but no longer shifts up, which would lead me to believe that it has stripped out the gear mechanism to push the derailleur back up the cogset.

Hopefully my Red shifter will be in soon since I'll be stuck on my TT bike until it gets in.
    Just a quick update...

A few rides later, the shift lever broke off just as the first one did...so that's my second Rival shifter that has died in the last year by the same means.

With that said, my Red shifter came in about a week after my Rival one broke (so I spent a few days on my TT bike, which was a lot of fun in the hills)...and it feels much better than my Rival shifter ever did.

I'll probably send my Rival shifter back and see if i can get a warranty repair/replacement on it for a back up in the future...however, with the positive shifting I'm getting with the Red shifter I'll probably order a front Red front shifter when I get the money to round out the package and get a better overall feel from my shifting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    If I'm buying my parts 2nd hand (new pull from a bike), I'd assume I'm not going to have any warranty with them, or if it breaks, can I drop it off at a LBS without receipt?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast