Rear 09 Rival shifter broke today... - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    fu
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMTB View Post
    The front might feel less than smooth because of a worn cable. These thin cables don't seem to last very long for me or on my wife's bike, which has Shimano components.

My broken rear was replaced a long time ago. My local shop also only managed to get me the single replacement lever. The original front is still working fine. I was a little bummed because the logos don't match. But, I can't see them while riding. So, I got over it . . . mostly.

My local shop is usually very accommodating, but I probably won't be buying any more SRAM components as a result.
    I didn't notice the logos being different. I'll take another look. The thing is that until the crank arm, and then the shifter broke on my bike, I didn't have any issues with SRAM (for about 7,000 miles) and I love the ergonomics so I'll probably buy SRAM again and just deal with the issues every so many thousand miles. When I had a Shimano 105 (5600) bike, the rear shifter cable would snap every 1,500 to 2,000 miles due to an unfortunate sharp bend inside the shifter (design flaw, as I was told). I just got used to it.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

fu
    The logos are the same on both of my shifters.
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ph0enix View Post
    The logos are the same on both of my shifters.
    Good for you! I'll bet that replacing the cable carefully will restore smooth operation.

Best of luck!
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

fu
    Good for you! I'll bet that replacing the cable carefully will restore smooth operation.

Best of luck!
    Thank you! I hope that's it.
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just to add to the body count:

my 1.5 year old (around 7000 miles) apex right shifter died in the same way today.

luckily I was only a few blocks from home when it happened. The bad part is that I bought the set off ebay so warranty is out of the question, I'll just have to find a spare right.

*update*

As an experiment I bought a Red shifter off craigslist today that had a broken brake pivot and I decided to put the internals in my shifter. It works, but takes a bit of luck and backwards engineering to get it all to fit together in order to get the rod in that holds all of it together.

works perfectly and was a cheap and fun solution to my problem
    Last edited by divest; 08-13-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: update

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, their stated policy is that you need to work through a dealer. Contact | SRAM

However, it does NOT have to be the dealer who actually sold you the component. All you need is a dealer who has your interests at heart.

It doesn't cost the dealer anything to exercise the warranty. They just make the call, receive the warranty part, and return the defective item. As I understand it, SRAM pays the return shipping costs by providing a pre-paid shipping label to the dealer.

I could be wrong. But, it's worth having a conversation with any dealer with whom you have a rapport or who might be interested in winning your future business by helping.

Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    add me to the list. rear rival shifter died exactly the same way last week

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    My 2011 SRAM Apex right shifter (10-Speed) broke on my way to work. The shifting lever just broke off from the inside...it even fell out. Hopefully all goes smoothly with the warranty.

I was about to start a new thread but glad I found this with lots of helpful info and experiences.

Question:

I am taking the bike to the LBS where I bought it from back in 2011. What out of pocket expenses should I expect? (shipping/installation)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by o0adam0o View Post
    Question:

I am taking the bike to the LBS where I bought it from back in 2011. What out of pocket expenses should I expect? (shipping/installation)
    I guess it depends on the shop. My local bicycle shop did not charge me anything at all. As I understand it, SRAM handled the shipping costs.

At a minimum, changing out the lever requires disturbing and potentially replacing the tape wrapping the handlebar. It also takes a few minutes to insert, connect, and adjust the new inner cables for the brake and derailleur, presuming that they don't replace the outer housings.

It might be worth asking them to do a tune-up and see if they can include the lever replacement labor in the cost of the tune-up? Just a thought . . .

Re: Rear 09 Rival shifter broke today...

I guess it depends on the shop. My local bicycle shop did not charge me anything at all. As I understand it, SRAM handled the shipping costs.

At a minimum, changing out the lever requires disturbing and potentially replacing the tape wrapping the handlebar. It also takes a few minutes to insert, connect, and adjust the new inner cables for the brake and derailleur, presuming that they don't replace the outer housings.

It might be worth asking them to do a tune-up and see if they can include the lever replacement labor in the cost of the tune-up? Just a thought . . .
    If the tape is in good shape, I leave the old clamp on and just switch the shifter. I don't charge for it, of course.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456