Rear 09 Rival shifter broke today...
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Angry Rear 09 Rival shifter broke today...

About 3 miles into my ride today my rear shift lever (the shift paddle) broke off...Nice

Anybody else here had this problem? How did SRAM deal with the warranty? I've only had the shifters since March so they are well within the warranty period.

Looking at Velonews it would appear this has been a bit of an issue with the rear shifter on Rival and Force shifters.

After I contact SRAM tomorrow, I'll post a reply as to what they advise me to do. Since the bike was bought over the internet (Velo Vie...my team is sponsored by them) I can't just take it back to the shop where I bought it...so I'm guessing I'm going to have to deal with SRAM directly.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

mine broke too

Yeah, mine broke too. I have 2009 Sram Rival. I read the letters to Lennard Zinn in Velonews as well. The original letter is from 8/25/09 with follow-up responses (and a pic) on 9/9/09.

Here's my story:
    I called Sram. They said I have to go thru my LBS to do a warranty claim. So that's what I did. Luckily, my LBS (Bikecology, Torrance, CA) was nice enough to take care of it for me even though I didn't buy it from them. I just installed my replacement and all is good, though I only have 45 miles on it. I couldn't quite see inside to check whether or not the part that broke is beefier/redesigned. I'm assuming it is.

Here's a pic. It looks like it broke in the same spot as the pic on Velonews.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssing20
    Yeah, mine broke too. I have 2009 Sram Rival. I read the letters to Lennard Zinn in Velonews as well. The original letter is from 8/25/09 with follow-up responses (and a pic) on 9/9/09.

Here's my story:
    I called Sram. They said I have to go thru my LBS to do a warranty claim. So that's what I did. Luckily, my LBS (Bikecology, Torrance, CA) was nice enough to take care of it for me even though I didn't buy it from them. I just installed my replacement and all is good, though I only have 45 miles on it. I couldn't quite see inside to check whether or not the part that broke is beefier/redesigned. I'm assuming it is.

Here's a pic. It looks like it broke in the same spot as the pic on Velonews.
    That picture looks just like mine Though I had a lot more miles on mine (almost 7000 miles).

I have multiple shops around...but none that I purchased the bike from or use on a regular basis. It could be interesting getting it warrantied I guess.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

Upgraded n00b
    That's ironic. I actually had my left shifter mess up... for some reason the adjustment cam wouldn't touch the plate and it would stand out at 90 deg forward. SRAM was way cool about it, no questions asked. My 'LBS' on the other hand didn't want to have anything to do with me since I didn't buy it from him. Once SRAM convinced him to help out it was all good in the world.
    If you're reading this, you're not riding enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just posting an update:

I took my shifter to a local LBS...who I didn't purchase my current bike from, but have purchased bikes from in the past...and asked them if they could take care of the warranty claim since SRAM doesn't deal directly with customers.

Aside from paying for shipping to SRAM they didn't have any problem taking care of it for me.

So a week goes by and no shifter back yet, I get a call from the LBS and it turns out the Rival shifters were on Back Order...no big deal as I've been riding my TT bike and I'm prepping my single speed for the winter.

Then Monday, I get a call from the LBS and they let me know the shifter was in. It's a brand new (not a repaired) shifter and they even included new cables (including a brake cable).

So all is good in the world now with my main road bike back up and running...just in time for the rain to come in a week or so

But, SRAM did take care of the shifter no questions asked...so I can't complain at all about the basic warranty service.

Rub it............
    SRAM is pretty good with their warranty stuff. If its in stock, its sent out ASAP. Of the few SRAM products I've delt with in the past, their turn around time is 2 weeks for fork repairs, but if repairs are being done at the shop by me, parts arrive within 3 days after ordering.

Shimano OTOH, takes longer. More Red Tape IMHO. But they haven't let me down yet. Only have ran into excessive BO ETA's.

Good to hear that SRAM is still taking care of their customers. And kuddo's to your LBS for getting you out of a pinch.

Seems to me you need to buy more stuff from them now. lol
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    SRAM have never charged me shipping for a warranty part like a shifter. Interesting that you had to pay.

I had to warranty 2 shifters for this reason last week. Kind of surprised, as I've never seen/ heard of it. Before sending in the bad shifter, I decided to take it apart and rebuild it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -dustin
    SRAM have never charged me shipping for a warranty part like a shifter. Interesting that you had to pay.

I had to warranty 2 shifters for this reason last week. Kind of surprised, as I've never seen/ heard of it. Before sending in the bad shifter, I decided to take it apart and rebuild it.
    Well, it wasn't for SRAM sending the shifter to me....it was for the LBS to send the shifter to SRAM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah...they send a SASE along with whatever they're replacing. Regardless, it's fixed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008

Angry

My Rival 2009 rear shift lever stopped working in the final of a local race today. A metal part inside the shifter has broken clean off, exactly like in the picture above. The shifter is about a year old. I have another race tomorrow. I'll see what my LBS can do. Not so happy with SRAM right now.

Moderatus Puisne

I'm amused

that people are shocked when race bike parts break...

The doubletap system definitely had a fair amount of warranty claims in its initial teething period years.

Never heard a report of SRAM failing to honor a warranty claim without question.

Ever race on a team with Shimano components? I'm sure you've seen some blown shifters, too...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I just broke mine today in the same spot, less then a year old bike and only ridden 5 months. And I take better care of my bike then anyone I know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    i bet it gets warrantied quickly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I joined the broken RH Rival lever club last night about 22 miles into a 30 mile ride, you could pull the cable and change down but when letting go, the RD returned to the 12T on the cassette so I had two gears only 12 x 34 and 12 x 50. At least it taught me I can push bigger gears on roads I usually wouldn't!

12 months and about 12 days old lever in my case so I am glad SRAM has a 2 year warranty rather than having to try and convince them to play nice a handful of days past the expiry date. As said in an earlier post, parts break and I have certainly had a LH Dura Ace shifter go before as well.

Reason for posting is that the RH shifting was very sweet for about 9 months but for the past 3 months I kept thinking it had become louder and more agricultural. The brain plays funny tricks on us and I could not be sure if this was correct or if my other road bike sporting DA shifting was spoiling me. Now that the Rival RH has broken I believe my instincts were right so if you find your shifting gets tougher it could be a sign of imminent breakage. FWIW my L and H screws on the RD have not been touched, just occasional turning of the barrel adjuster to keep the cable tension sweet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Welcome to the Club! I've had my replacement shifter for a year now (~2K miles) and no issues. I've heard a tip that might help (unproven, but makes sense):

Open up the inside limit screw as much as possible without allowing the RD to hit the spokes. The tension of the cable should prevent this anyway. So, if you accidentally try to downshift when you're already in the largest cog, you won't put as much stress on the lever innards. This "phantom" shift will feel just like a real shift (loud click, but RD doesn't go anywhere). I read this tip in Cycling Plus, March 2010 issue. Here's their actual quote:

"Sram includes an extra index point, past the first gear position (largest cog), which allows the paddle to be pushed beyond the release click w/o dropping out of gear. Set the low stop screw (marked L) slightly slacker than would normally be the case, to allow the mech (RD) to travel a touch beyond the cog w/o hitting the spokes or dropping off."
    Last edited by ssing20; 08-26-2010 at 08:26 AM.

a$$hole
    Well, you guys having this problem with the right Rival shifter are not alone. I've just had the exact same problem with my 2010 Force rear shifter. I've had it for one year now. I've put about 7,000 miles on it and tonight it just snapped.

I'll be dropping by my LBS to warranty the shifter. The thing that sucks is I don't have a second bike and I can't bring myself to go through all the hassle of switching over everything to my old 105 group for a week...though I might have to. Not sure I can go to long off the bike. I'll go crazy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Well I guess I joined the club today too.....Actually my left brifter broke in the Spring with only about 3 months of riding on it. SRAM sent a new one right out and I was back riding within 1 week.

I rode on Thursday and my right brifter felt stiff....thought it might be a sluggish cable from the bike being stored in my unheated garage. Last night I brought my CAAD9 inside to keep it warm for this morning's chilly ride. This morning about 20 miles in the shifter starting acting weird and then stopped shifting to larger cogs in the back. I could still downshift though. So the 3 of us on the ride cut over to our LBS and had them look at it. They said bad shifter and SRAM would warranty it. We tried riding back to the commuter lot but 10 minutes in the shifter paddle completely snapped off ! I had to ride back to the LBS in my 36x11 and then the guys rode home and came back and picked me up.

Well yay for SRAM I guess for warrantying their parts but a big boo for shitty product design. I googled "SRAM Rival shifter problems" and found this thread.....apparently this is an ongoing issue with them as mine components are 2010.

This was my first non-Shimano bike and overall I have been very happy with my SRAM Rival group & SRAM Force BB30 crank on my CAAD9 but I hope I'm not replacing brifters once a year going foward.....? Had this happened on one of the several 100 mile century rides I do during the Summer I would have been very upset to say the least. SRAM, listen up, fix this issue or folks will be going back to Shimano.....
    Last edited by JoeOxfordCT; 12-04-2010 at 10:53 AM.

a$$hole
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeOxfordCT
    ... SRAM, listen up, fix this issue for folks will be going back to Shimano.....

Folks will be going somewhere else for shifting, yes. But for me it will most certainly not be Shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I am a little nervous now as I have continued to read more & more on the net since I made my posting about 15 minutes ago....some folks are on their 3rd shifter from SRAM....on the same side !!! The only solution I've read so far is to upgrade to Red shifters but that's a big nut to swallow....

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSpecialized
    Folks will be going somewhere else for shifting, yes. But for me it will most certainly not be Shimano.

a$$hole
    I have a 2011 set for the bike I race in criteriums. SRAM replaced a 2009 right Rival shifter with this 2011 full set. We checked them out really well just to see if there is any difference. I swear the attachment point that is usually prone to failure is super beefed up in my 2011 Rival set. I could be wrong, but the guys at the shop thought it looked a lot beefier too. Maybe I'm imagining it though?

Either way, I really think SRAM is working on or has already taken care of the problem for 2011+ shifters. They recognize the failures people have had. It's a known problem according to SRAM. They will not leave it that way. It's just a matter of when a new design is implemented, and it looks to me like that occurs with 2011 Rival. Not sure about 2011 Force though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's hoping they have ramped up production of replacements a bit. My rear shifter broke about two months ago. It took SRAM about a month to send a replacement. Did I mention that I do not have a usable spare road bike.

The break on my 2009 lever matched the first picture in this thread. The replacement lever has the newer 2011 graphics, which probably means a more durable product . . . but, the big SRAM lettering on the face of the rear lever looks a little odd paired with the smaller Rival lettering of the 2009 style front shifter.

Seeing the mismatch made me even more glad that I purchased a pair of Red levers as replacements at the two week point. Losing more than a month of great Arizona fall riding weather would have been a bummer. As a bonus, although I am not happy about spending the money, the Red rear lever shifts better than my original ever did, even when the bike was new!

If I can afford it, my next bike will probably not have a SRAM group. No big deal to SRAM I am certain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    .....apparently this is an ongoing issue with them as mine components are 2010.

This was my first non-Shimano bike and overall I have been very happy with my SRAM Rival group & SRAM Force BB30 crank on my CAAD9....
    I haven't had a problem yet, but now you have me worried. That's what I have, a 2010 CAAD9-4, except I'm sure I don't have as many miles, less than 500 since April.

By contrast, my wife's CAAD9-5F has a recall on the FSA crank that hasn't failed yet. Has SRAM ever done a recall before? Any chance this could become a recall?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Morgan
    I haven't had a problem yet, but now you have me worried. That's what I have, a 2010 CAAD9-4, except I'm sure I don't have as many miles, less than 500 since April.

By contrast, my wife's CAAD9-5F has a recall on the FSA crank that hasn't failed yet. Has SRAM ever done a recall before? Any chance this could become a recall?
    So far as I know, this is by no means a recall. A large enough number of rear shifters seem to have failed to make them a little scarce for a while, but there are probably many 2009 Rival shifters that will never fail.

In any event, you will get some warning before it fails. In the case of mine, shifting often had a little catching sensation, especially on the lower 5 cogs. Eventually, the catching sensation became more frequent and finally the lever fell off. Mine never seemed particularly smooth from the beginning, so it could have been a manufacturing defect and may have been limited to a particular manufactuing period, parts supplier, or who knows what.

If your shifter is working smoothly, you probably have no reason to be concerned. If it seems to hang up occassionally when you move the lever (for either an up or down shift, by the way) you might want to talk to your dealer about a warranty replacement before it breaks . . . if that's even possible with SRAM.

When it breaks, your dealer will need to request a warranty replacement and then send in your old lever when the new lever arrives. I believe SRAM covers the return shipping, so your dealer should be cooperative and you should not experience any costs.

If you are unlucky, as I was, and the supply of warranty replacements is lagging demand, there will be a delay. Duh!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    My LBS called SRAM today about my broker right shifter. They advised that they are currently out of stock until the end of the month but will send an Apex shifter for now and will send a complete set of 2011 Force shifters (both sides !) in January !!!!

Props to SRAM for making good !!

RoadBikeReview Member
    My LBS called SRAM today about my broker right shifter. They advised that they are currently out of stock until the end of the month but will send an Apex shifter for now and will send a complete set of 2011 Force shifters (both sides !) in January !!!!

Props to SRAM for making good !!
    Good for you! Clearly, your bicycle shop is more persuasive than mine.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast