Rival Wi-Fli

Thread: Rival Wi-Fli

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Rival Wi-Fli

My new road bike came with the 2013 Force groupset, including a standard crank (53-39) and 12-26 cogset. I love the bike and the gearing has been fine for the rollers I encounter on my usual rides. Looking ahead to next year, though, and I want to ride several century races, which means mountains in my area. I am concerned that 39-26 might be a bit much as my bailout and am considering buying a rival wi-fli RD and a 11-32 cogset. Besides probably needing a longer chain will this be enough of a switch, or do I also need to pony up for a compact crank? The UK sites carry a SRAM climber kit that includes cogset, RD and chain for @$200 and I will probably have my LBS do the install because I am new to indexed shifting and have never wrenched on a RD before. Trying to figure the most cost effective way of mountain rigging my ride so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks and cheers!

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    the Force is also available in WiFLi.

yes, longer chain.

the 53-39 crank should be fine as the WiFLi chain wrap capacity is 37T:

(32-11) + (53-39) = 35T

a compact 50-34 is 37T
    Last edited by tednugent; 10-02-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Just get a compact crankset.

53x12 @ 90RPM = 31.2mph
    50x12 @ 90RPM = 29.4mph
    50x11 @ 90RPM = 32.1mph

Unless you are regularly in your 53x12, you aren't going to miss much going to a 50 big ring. And when you are ready for a new cassette, just get an 11-XX and get that extra 3mph top end back.

I run a compact front with an 11-28 rear (I've done a lot of mountains lately). Will probably swap the rear to a 12-27 or 12-26 when next I replace the cassette. I can spin up to 110 fairly comfortably, which is enough to keep me in a crazy fast paceline, otherwise above 30mph I am usually going downhill and just freewheel.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtrek716 View Post
    My new road bike came with the 2013 Force groupset, including a standard crank (53-39) and 12-26 cogset. I love the bike and the gearing has been fine for the rollers I encounter on my usual rides. Looking ahead to next year, though, and I want to ride several century rides, which means mountains in my area. I am concerned that 39-26 might be a bit much as my bailout and am considering buying a rival wi-fli RD and a 11-32 cogset. Besides probably needing a longer chain will this be enough of a switch, or do I also need to pony up for a compact crank? The UK sites carry a SRAM climber kit that includes cogset, RD and chain for @$200 and I will probably have my LBS do the install because I am new to indexed shifting and have never wrenched on a RD before. Trying to figure the most cost effective way of mountain rigging my ride so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks and cheers!
    ftfy
    you should be fine getting those parts installed...you can use any level of SRAM derailleur depending on what you want to spend. . depending on the shop you have install the parts, you might get a frosty reception from them for bringing in parts you bought via the internet for what is probably the same as their wholesale. some shops don't care at all, some get downright pissy about people bringing in parts they didn't buy from them.
    #promechaniclife