Sram BB30 set-up in an Allez Race frame
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Sram BB30 set-up in an Allez Race frame

I just installed a BB30 Sram Red Black crank in my new Specialized Allez Race with the OSBB. I installed the circlips, bearings and shields as per Sram and Specialized specs. The Sram BB30 kit came with the wavy washer and a bag of clear plastic spacers and I read the instructions on the crank install and it says the wavy washer should be compressed but not flattened. With one spacer, it is just that. But if i wrap my fingers around the NDS chainstay and place my palm on the NDS crank arm spindle nut, I can push the crankset with my palm and see the play. I then installed 2 spacers and it looks like the wavy washer is flattened, but when I put force on the NDS crank arm I still feel a very minor amount of play, which indicates the wavy washer looks flattened, but still has a little flex to it. The crank spins smoothly like this and doesn't have any drag at all.

Would I be safe to leave both spacers in there or take one out so I can still visually see the wavy washer partially compressed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    You should have minimal to no play without the cranks binding, that is the best preload for the cranks. Have you removed the cranks and retorqued? I would leave the spacers in if the cranks are not binding.