Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Sram etap battery tab broken and battery falling off rear derailleur

Hi recently my rear battery in my etap fell off after a series of hard bumps. I noticed that the tab that goes at the bottom of the battery was broken and it had remained in the derailleur. That was Saturday. Today I go to recharge the other battery and the same thing happened. This time I noticed it when I was placing the battery to charge and it wouldn't click. I went back outside and there it was sitting in the front derailleur tab the tiny piece of plastic.
    I live by the ocean and sweat a lot so I have to lubricate everything or it rusts. I started lubricating the etap when I noticed some rust In the exposed front derailleur springs. My etap is 5 months old. Riding average 5x week.
    Any one with this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I had the issue with one battery early on, but not since. I had been using degreaser liberally in the area along with pulling my derailleur out of the way of my cogs using the battery as a handle, so any insight I have is inconclusive. It's certainly possible something like Simple Green can dry out a plastic really quickly and make it brittle. It's also possible exacerbated the issue by using the battery as a gripping point for moving it out of the way during wheel changes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I saw a review in amazon with the same issue.
    This is what happened to me. To both batteries. 1 broke in the rear derailleur and the other in the front one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Warranty those babies, I bet they will replace them no questions asked. It's apparent that there's an issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    I had the issue with one battery early on, but not since. I had been using degreaser liberally in the area along with pulling my derailleur out of the way of my cogs using the battery as a handle, so any insight I have is inconclusive. It's certainly possible something like Simple Green can dry out a plastic really quickly and make it brittle. It's also possible exacerbated the issue by using the battery as a gripping point for moving it out of the way during wheel changes.
    I think you have a valid point. I have done both things you mentioned. I was going to sell it back I'm undecided . I love the way it shifts but if I'm in The middle of a ride and hit a pothole and the battery falls then that is no bueno. I love reliability above all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by charlitin View Post
    I think you have a valid point. I have done both things you mentioned. I was going to sell it back I'm undecided . I love the way it shifts but if I'm in The middle of a ride and hit a pothole and the battery falls then that is no bueno. I love reliability above all.

It happened again. I crazy glued it. Now I had a spare. It only happens on the rear derailleur. I think the metal hitting the plastic is a bad thing. I wonder if sram is going to do something about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    It happened again. I crazy glued it. Now I had a spare. It only happens on the rear derailleur. I think the metal hitting the plastic is a bad thing. I wonder if sram is going to do something about it.

I haven't had issues with my batteries ever since I stopped yanking on them and using solvents in that area.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    This is what happens

Sent from my LG-V496 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Here are the pics

Sent from my LG-V496 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BG2TAvTy...-by=dorkeugene

As you can see it happened to me once early on. Hasn't happened to me again once I started using a little more care. I do think the tab needs to be bulked up, but I also think it can be avoided with even the slightest caution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I haven't had issues with my batteries ever since I stopped yanking on them and using solvents in that area.
    But how can you yank them? When you release the top tab the battery just falls. Maybe that is the problem. Letting it fall instead of pulling it up so it doesn't bend by falling back? It makes no sense. I'm going to create a complaint with the BBB so they get a recall or someone looks into it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    But how can you yank them? When you release the top tab the battery just falls. Maybe that is the problem. Letting it fall instead of pulling it up so it doesn't bend by falling back? It makes no sense. I'm going to create a complaint with the BBB so they get a recall or someone looks into it.
    I used to dank the derailleur by the battery to swing the parallelogram out of the way when removing wheels. Also when I remove the battery now, I don't just let the battery fall out. I press the battery firmly against the derailleur and pop the tab. I do the same thing when inserting the battery. I make sure it's sitting cleanly in the hook.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I used to dank the derailleur by the battery to swing the parallelogram out of the way when removing wheels. Also when I remove the battery now, I don't just let the battery fall out. I press the battery firmly against the derailleur and pop the tab. I do the same thing when inserting the battery. I make sure it's sitting cleanly in the hook.

Ok so press the battery before it releases. Do not use the battery as a point of leverage and pull it up when releasing it? I am doing those. still I placed an electrical tape piece at the bottom where the battery sits. The metal grinding on plastic is not a good thing.
    I don't know how cautious you can be with an equipment that is made to take a beating. Literally the rear derailleur takes all the brunt of the road. This is the reason why the body (where the battery sits) is made of metal.
    I call it design flaw. A lot of people having this issue is not normal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Hi recently my rear battery in my etap fell off after a series of hard bumps. I noticed that the tab that goes at the bottom of the battery was broken and it had remained in the derailleur. That was Saturday. Today I go to recharge the other battery and the same thing happened. This time I noticed it when I was placing the battery to charge and it wouldn't click. I went back outside and there it was sitting in the front derailleur tab the tiny piece of plastic.
    I live by the ocean and sweat a lot so I have to lubricate everything or it rusts. I started lubricating the etap when I noticed some rust In the exposed front derailleur springs. My etap is 5 months old. Riding average 5x week.
    Any one with this issue?

I have the same issue..bottom of the battery broken and also top of the battery start showing some crack. Wandering whatís going on. Submitted my complain to SRAM but yet to receive any respond.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Izack View Post
    I have the same issue..bottom of the battery broken and also top of the battery start showing some crack. Wandering whatís going on. Submitted my complain to SRAM but yet to receive any respond.
    Did you heard from them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I just got mine and I was going to install it this weekend but now I am second guessing it. I donít even want to open it so I can return it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jrizo1 View Post
    Did you heard from them?
    Not yet, will update once they reply.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Izack View Post
    Not yet, will update once they reply.
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    I have been running etap on my road bike for over a year and 4 months without any battery tab issues, I liked it do much I installed the etap HRD on my new cx bike at the beginning of the season and all is well so far....

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I'm seriously wondering what is going on w/ these batteries. I've been working with etap for over 2 years and I deal with a pro team's worth of bikes, both road and tt. Not had one battery tab has broken.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Warranty it. They should give you new batteries. They announced something about cleaning loquids making it brittle months back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I cycled 13,000 miles in 2017 with SRAM eTap on my road bike, not a single battery issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Hi I thought you all might be interested in the repair modification that I made to my etap batteries when the tab broke off. I have had three broken batteries in 2 years, luckily not while competing. The plate is made of 0.5mm thick brass plate and is fixed with strong double sided tape.

Sram etap battery tab broken and battery falling off rear derailleur-etap-battery-mod.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Did the extra height of the brass plate and tape cause any fit issues? Seems like it would put more stress on the plastic part that clicks on the top of you donít grind some material away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Hi

I filed away some of the case to allow for the plate and tape there seems to be plenty of material but only go as far as you need, there is no strain on fitting the battery etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast