Sram Force front shifter issues - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Another thing you might consider is whether your barrel adjuster is coming loose over time.

I've got the jagwire standard issue SRAM cable/housing set and the barrel adjuster comes loose a little every time you turn the handlebars.

I finally put some blue locktite on the the threads and, once I get the FD dialed, it stays that way much longer. I get good shifts for weeks instead of hours like I was before. The blue locktite does not "lock" but it's gummy and resists movement.

But I do think the SRAM Force FD leaves something to be desired. Whether it's the stiffness of big chain ring, or the chain, or the derailleur I don't know, but it does not shift up to the big ring as consistently as my Shimano 105 group does.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Inline barrel adjuster is what my LBS suspects. Going to mark it once they get it adjusted and see what happens. Will update when that happens.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Hazard View Post
    Another thing you might consider is whether your barrel adjuster is coming loose over time.

But I do think the SRAM Force FD leaves something to be desired. Whether it's the stiffness of big chain ring, or the chain, or the derailleur I don't know, but it does not shift up to the big ring as consistently as my Shimano 105 group does.
    +1
    105, Ultegra & Tiagra NEVER drop. Force does every ride. Not just my bike, others in my club have similar problems.

I am able to get FD shifting better with a tweak to the barrel adjuster, but it never lasts long. I'll get great shifts for 50 miles, then three drops in five miles.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete2 View Post
    +1
    105, Ultegra & Tiagra NEVER drop. Force does every ride. Not just my bike, others in my club have similar problems.

I am able to get FD shifting better with a tweak to the barrel adjuster, but it never lasts long. I'll get great shifts for 50 miles, then three drops in five miles.
    ok...explain to me how you can get great shifting for 50 miles, and when your chain drops after that it's the derailleurs fault? i think we're talking about a cable tension issue here, right? you said "with a tweak to the barrel adjuster..."
    the derailleur is actually functioning properly, and the cable is losing tension? and if you're dropping the chain, that tells me the unless the derailleur is actually moving on the seat tube, it's not adjusted correctly and somehow you're controlling it's movement w/ cable tension?
    i can't understand how this derailleur can work fine, then lose cable tension and drop the chain? obviously you're dropping the chain off the inside, yeah? this tells me the low limit screw is improperly adjusted, or the angle of the derailleur is incorrect. but how does it shift great for 50 miles then stop working properly?
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete2 View Post
    +1

Funny...when I had my Tiagra bike...the FD did nothing but drop.

My Red shifters + Force FD...no issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AvantDale View Post
    Funny...when I had my Tiagra bike...the FD did nothing but drop.

My Red shifters + Force FD...no issues.
    I'm jealous.
    Hopefully, after SRAM replaces the FD I'll be OK.

I did notice that at the front of the FD, the cage has a gap in it. I'm not sure if this is broken or if it's there by design. That would explain the flimsiness of the cage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I also started having problems with my SRAM Force rear shifter after 1500 miles. The behavior is very erratic. It will shift without issue for several hours (or complete rides) and then it will suddenly become unusable, e.g., paddle swings in with no shifting effect or paddle will not swing at all. I can generally get some response after playing around with it for a while. Once it starts working again, it's fine. Of course this only happens while I'm out on the road. I can't reproduce it in the stand. I took it into the LBS after it happened the first time and it worked perfectly in the stand and the mechanic looked at me like I was a moron. It has happened twice since then so at least I know that I'm not crazy now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Hello,
    just this morning front shifter stopped working. When shifting from front small chain ring to large chain ring, the shifter would not stay in position for chain to stay on large chain ring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Old thread but I guess still relevant. I went through 3 different front derailleurs and finally had it. Going back to Shimano. I love the rear shifting on Sram, but the front is just too inconsistent for me.

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    I had the same problems on a Giant Defy Advanced 1 with SRAM Force. After many trips to the LBS, who adjusted everything, changed cables, and doing everything they could, I finally decided to just sell the bike. I used to be out on group rides and the gears wouldn't shift when I needed them to. I got dropped many times like a bad habit. Enough was enough with SRAM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I have first generation Force on my roadie. Bought the component group in 2007 and has been on a couple different frames since. I first had this no shift problem in 2009. The first time, I changed cables and made adjustments. This lasted for a bit, but then in 2011 I was completely fed up like you guys sound. I took the hoods off and found that the internals are fairly easy to get to. I think there is a simple screw to remove. Once apart you can view the internal mechanisms. For whatever reason they don't want to catch when this problem occurs. Similar to working on old Shimano mountain bike shifters, spray some air in there to clean it up a bit, then spray some lube in there. I used some Pedro's Drylube. It's a little waxy and honestly was what I had at the moment. I put it all back together with new hoods (mine had stretched quite a bit) and have not had a problem since in over 2000 miles. Might be something to try. Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To the folks who were having front derailleur problems, were you on 10s or 11s (Yaw or non-Yaw). I've been running Force 22 for over six months, and haven't had any issues (even swapped out the SRAM chain for an 11s Shimano unit).
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12