Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

replacing my canpy 8 speed rims with mavic cosmic carbones

961 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  timsmcm 
#1 · (Edited)
replacing my campy 8 speed rims with mavic cosmic carbones

I have a bike with a complete campy c record group and want to run a set of wheels with a shimano free hub setup. Could I build up a cog set with campy 8 speed spacers or do something like that? I doubt I could find a campy 8 speed free hub for that wheelset.

#2 · (Edited)
Good luck with that. the hard part is the Mavic uses proprietary spokes and hubs. I believe that the earliest Cosmic Carbones ran a 9 speed and they offered it in both Shimano and Campy hubs. I believe that you can use an 8speed cassette with them, but 8 speed anything is getting harder to come by. Still the hard part is that Mavic Cosmics use proprietary parts. Zipps would probably be a better choice since Zipps can be custom built.

#5 ·
Campy c record, but I have campy 9 speed ergo shifter set with an 8 speed indexer in it. I could go back with the 9 speed if I could find something that would work. Or I just could leave well enough alone. But you know that would be no fun. I just can't get over how fast those wheels get at speeds over 25 mph. I have heard it but would never have believed it. I don't care what anyone else says for the price they are a great little wheel set. I am building a set of wheels with easton r90sl rims for a wider set and bigger tires. But I will be riding the krap out of those mavics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.