Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Patching tubes

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Dinosaur 
#1 ·
I'm just a simple man- certainly not worthy of the wisdom dispensed by the LBS gurus. Today I stopped to pick up a few patch kits after I realized I had ONE patch left and a bunch of tubes in need. The guru "recommended" Bontrager glueless patches. I asked if they were any good (since the last glueless patches I "tried" were really no more than a set of stickers. He said, of course they are good, they are made by Bontrager! I said I wanted patches that were more permanent. He said that "most people don't know this, but even regular glued patches should only be used to get home until you can change the tube."

Have I been living in a cave? Have I been the only one on the planet who has never had a glued patch fail? Am I a statistical anomaly?

#2 ·
filtersweep said:
... He said that "most people don't know this, but even regular glued patches should only be used to get home until you can change the tube."

Have I been living in a cave? Have I been the only one on the planet who has never had a glued patch fail? Am I a statistical anomaly?
No, you haven't been living in a cave. The guy is a grade-A, certified, card-carrying MORON. If he's telling you this in order to sell you tubes, well then he's a snivelling little ex-used car salesman who's only doing his job. If he's telling you this sincerely, then I wouldn't trust this guy with even the most rudimentary and routine maintenance proceedure.

Oh, wait. The patch probably wieghs 0.5 grams, and that's ROTATIONAL wieght. Yeah, I better replace all 8 tubes (4 wheelsets) at $6.50 a pop.

I've only used the Park glueless patch once and it barely got me back home.

#3 ·
Speed_Metal said:
No, you haven't been living in a cave. The guy is a grade-A, certified, card-carrying MORON. If he's telling you this in order to sell you tubes, well then he's a snivelling little ex-used car salesman who's only doing his job. If he's telling you this sincerely, then I wouldn't trust this guy with even the most rudimentary and routine maintenance proceedure.

Oh, wait. The patch probably wieghs 0.5 grams, and that's ROTATIONAL wieght. Yeah, I better replace all 8 tubes (4 wheelsets) at $6.50 a pop.

I've only used the Park glueless patch once and it barely got me back home.
and god help you if it's raining out when you use those glueless patches. they don't stick well enough dry. they do seem to work OK for mountain bike tires though. must be the reduced pressure or something.

#4 ·
yes, a moron

I've had glued patches last a year or more (actually never had one fail). The LBS "mechanic" probably didn't know how to do it. Personally I don't see why anyone would rely on a glueless patch to begin with. I'd just replace the tube and do a careful patch when I got home (and don't tell yo you carry just patches to save weight lest I cast aspersions in your general direction).

#5 ·
Just to get home?

This is a guy who only pays $2/tube since he works in a shop (if he doesn't just swipe them off the shelve like most shoppies do). That's BS. In 20 years I've had had one patch fail and that was on a tube with 7 patches that I'd used for a 2 or 3 year period. I've used glueless as well with excellent results but I still prefer the nylon backed Rema patches. Just be sure to replace your glue every year if it's unopened, every 2-3 months if you have to open the tube.

#6 ·
fiddledoc said:
I've had glued patches last a year or more (actually never had one fail). The LBS "mechanic" probably didn't know how to do it. Personally I don't see why anyone would rely on a glueless patch to begin with. I'd just replace the tube and do a careful patch when I got home (and don't tell yo you carry just patches to save weight lest I cast aspersions in your general direction).
I always change the tube first. Patching on the road is a pain. And usually I use glueless patches (on the road) because of the size factor. takes up much less room in my toolkit than rubber patches and glue. For home patching it's hard to beat traditional patches.

#7 ·
Speed_Metal said:
The guy is a grade-A, certified, card-carrying MORON.
Funny thing was I was at the Trek volume dealer which was next door to where I ended up a work meeting- wearing my "civilian clothing"- and he was talking to me like I was the moron... in hindsight, he probably WAS right: most people DON'T know that "glued patches should only be used to ride home," because it simply isn't true.

#8 ·
Fogdweller said:
Just be sure to replace your glue every year if it's unopened, every 2-3 months if you have to open the tube.
Where do you get replacement glue?

#9 ·
Glue...

Hey Mike. Some shop can get bulk glue tubes from Rema the same way they can get just the patches. I guess since I have a local that does it, I thought it was common. Guess I'm just lucky. I'm pretty paranoid about glue evaporating so I tend to turn it over regularly. Got stuck once in my teens and will never let that happen again.

#10 ·
filtersweep said:
Have I been the only one on the planet who has never had a glued patch fail?
I had a glued patch fail on Sunday, in a hairpin bend at 40mph, on the front tire.. not an enjoyable experience. But I confess the failure was my own fault, when I inspected what I'd done with that patch in a moment of foolishness.. never happened before, and it won't happen again. Before that day, thirty-some years of gaily patching tubes without incident.

#11 ·
My last blowout crash...

doug in co said:
I had a glued patch fail on Sunday, in a hairpin bend at 40mph, on the front tire.. not an enjoyable experience. But I confess the failure was my own fault, when I inspected what I'd done with that patch in a moment of foolishness.. never happened before, and it won't happen again. Before that day, thirty-some years of gaily patching tubes without incident.
Was from a patched tube on the front. I had forgotten that it had been patched and it was not patched by me. I had replaced a wheelset by warranty, the shop that did the warranty punctured my tube while swapping out tires, patched the tube and pumped the tire. Later on a ride I did a swerve to maintain control at a relatively slow speed, 17?, the tire rolled on the bead a bit I think, and then exploded at the patch site and I was on my arse quickly, sliding down the road. Broke a finger, bloodied myself a bit. No more patched tubes for me, bought a box of them from Jenson I think, 10 for $17?

#12 ·
I don't patch...

filtersweep said:
I'm just a simple man- certainly not worthy of the wisdom dispensed by the LBS gurus. Today I stopped to pick up a few patch kits after I realized I had ONE patch left and a bunch of tubes in need. The guru "recommended" Bontrager glueless patches. I asked if they were any good (since the last glueless patches I "tried" were really no more than a set of stickers. He said, of course they are good, they are made by Bontrager! I said I wanted patches that were more permanent. He said that "most people don't know this, but even regular glued patches should only be used to get home until you can change the tube."

I don't patch unless I have to to get home. I always carry a spare tube and Park glueless patch kit in case of two flats on the same ride. When I get home the old tube goes in the trash. Yes, it's wasteful but I don't really care. No crappy patched tube gets used on my bike!

Just my take on the world.

Ed

#17 ·
Glueless patches...

I carry a pack of Park glueless patches in my under saddle bag when I ride. They are probably the same as the Bontragner patches (they might be one and the same). I use them only after I have my second flat to repair a tube.

I have had both type of patches fail on me, glueless and the regular glued type. The glueless won't stick to all brands of tubes, and you have to prepare the surface correctly, not too much sanding or too little. I have some glueless patches that last forever and some that last a month or so. I think the glued type work better, the glueless are just for emergency road repair at the very best. You have to be very careful not to touch the glued side of the patch when applying it to the tube or it will not completely adhere and it will leak air out the sides. They don't work for beans in the wet either, better off packing a couple of tubes. I found the secret of using the regular glued patches was letting the glue dry for about 5 minutes before applying the patch.

For what it's worth, I get mixed responses from the guys that work at my LBS on just about everything and they seldom have glueless patches on stock, so I guess they don't like them or there is no demand for them in my area.....and my LBS is one of the largest in Norcal.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.