Brake recomendations
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008

Brake recomendations

Looking for brake recomendations for the tandem I am building. It is a road tandem with drop bars and ultegra brifters. It has no provisions for disc. My options are cantilevers, v-brakes with travel agents and mini-v-brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got mini-v's on my tandem and so far so good. Good power with STI levers without the need for a travel agent. They may or may not have clearance for fenders depending on what you need. I've got barrel adjusters on the noodle which works well too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    What mini-v's are you using and with what brifters?

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by drmayer View Post
    I've got mini-v's on my tandem and so far so good. Good power with STI levers without the need for a travel agent. They may or may not have clearance for fenders depending on what you need. I've got barrel adjusters on the noodle which works well too.
    Which mini-V's are you using?

I'm using the Avid shorty 4 canti's that came on my tandem. After a bit of fussing they work OK, but only OK. If there's any real speed or any meaningful slope involved, it takes two big handfuls of brake from the drops, and some lead time, to get it brought to a halt. We are a 350 lb team, so not expecting single-bike performance, but yip.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I decided to go with single digit 7s with travel agents. Thanks for the help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tektro 926al with shimano 2200 levers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Ok I just installed avid single digit 7's with travel agents. The front brake seems to have decent power but the rear is extremly mushy. Also the only way to get pad clearance was to remove all the adjusting washers betwen the pads and the brake arms. Anyone else encounter this or have ideas on how to correct the mushy feel?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    the cyclocross forum has a lot of information regarding the use of mini v brakes etc. check 'em out.

there is a direct correlation between the "pull" from the levers and the size of the arm on the brake itself. thus, the different sizes offered in mini v's 80mm, 85mm, 90mm, 95mm, etc...

the best option is to match the type of levers you are using - shimano, sram, campy or other - and the pull of the lever to the size of the brake arms for best performance.

from what I have read, based on other rider's experience the travel agents are not desirable. the use of longer arm v brakes is not very common.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    this is not written in stone, so double ck before you buy.

shimano levers like the 90-95mm mini v brakes
    sram and campy match with 80-85mm

tektro and trp are the two brands I know that have those sizes abundantly

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I decided to go with the single digit 7's and travel agents based on recomendations from tandems east. I was lucky because I found some new ones for sale locally that were less than half price but not real impressed with the braking from them. I think the problem is the cable in the travel agent needs to "seat" itself better. Also the brake pads can not use any of the adjusting washers for toe in. Not sure if these will stay on the tandem or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd go with mini-vs set up with good quality pads and compressionless housing. I have Paul MiniMotos on my single, and they work fantastic with Campy Centaur brifters.

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything