brake upgrade

Thread: brake upgrade

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

brake upgrade

I have just purchased a secondhand Trek T2000 tandem this is in very good shape and appears to still have all the standard equipment that it was fitted with when new. As this is a few years old now is there a better set of brakes that would make for an instant upgrade ? The bike at the moment is fitted with avid shorty 6 cantilevers. I would like to just swap these out for somthing that would be a straight swap but offer better braking

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    When you say better braking do you mean more power or better modulation or both. Probably the only upgrade that will stop you any quicker would be v-brakes, and they would need new levers (or travel agents).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by strathconaman View Post
    When you say better braking do you mean more power or better modulation or both. Probably the only upgrade that will stop you any quicker would be v-brakes, and they would need new levers (or travel agents).
    Yes looking for more stopping power but need to retain the lever I have

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tektro mini-V brakes. I have them on my trek tandem with shimano road levers and they work great. Be sure to buy noodles with barrel adjusters as well. Cheap and effective.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Mini v's are a good option and avoid the use of cable multipliers which are needed with v brakes which can be good too. I would suggest new Pads and adjusting the transverse wire first to see if power can be improved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LONDON-GUY View Post
    I have just purchased a secondhand Trek T2000 tandem this is in very good shape and appears to still have all the standard equipment that it was fitted with when new. As this is a few years old now is there a better set of brakes that would make for an instant upgrade ? The bike at the moment is fitted with avid shorty 6 cantilevers. I would like to just swap these out for somthing that would be a straight swap but offer better braking

Thanks
    TRP makes nice brakes