Post a pic or two of your tandem. - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    I really like the left side chainguard.

Sweet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Looks pretty slick, Jed. Did you build the frame? I-Motion hub?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks.

Frame is an original Schwinn. The headset was very tough to install.

Rear hub is a nexus 8.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Headset was tough? How did you manage disc brakes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

headset

I got rid of the original headset and fork.

The original headset was for a 1 inch fork, however the cups were bigger than a 1 in and an 1-1/8. 1 1/4 was too big.

I found a 1 - 1/8 headset form chain reaction with really long cup to catch the frame. The frame was wide at the ends but normal 1/18 about an inch down. To install the cups a hydraulic press was used.

The fork is a new DMR Trail Blade Fork (with disk tabs) and the color is close.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by jedisith
    I got rid of the original headset and fork.

The original headset was for a 1 inch fork, however the cups were bigger than a 1 in and an 1-1/8. 1 1/4 was too big.

I found a 1 - 1/8 headset form chain reaction with really long cup to catch the frame. The frame was wide at the ends but normal 1/18 about an inch down. To install the cups a hydraulic press was used.

The fork is a new DMR Trail Blade Fork (with disk tabs) and the color is close.
    That's a sweet cruiser tandem. How are you tensioning the chain? EBB or is there a tensioner in there I can't see? You sure that fork is gonna hold up for a tandem? Especially with the front disc?

A pic of my Electra Tandem in it's native environment (ie pulling a trailer with a portable music system on the Thurs night cuiser ride.) It has a 3 speed Nexus now, but I'd like to upgrade it to 8 speed. Uses a 20" fatty rear wheel so I'd have to build it up myself most likely. Also uses drum brakes front and back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The chain is tensioned with the wheel in the dropout. Its an old frame I (think it i called a vertical dropout).

The fork should be ok. Its an all steal urban jump fork. Its seems burly than the Surly Instigator fork which is approved for tandems.

The Frame, headset and fork are all solid. The front wheel is a Mavic 823 and the rear is an ex something or other. These are burly wheels. The front hub is from Azonic and I can convert it to 20mm.

The bike is heavy, but it cruises. The bike was set up with 1.5 tires. I was able to squeeze a 1.75 Michellin Country rock tire in the back. Its very close. I was looking to upgrade the tires. Any recommendations?

Shirtcocker
    The chain is tensioned with the wheel in the dropout. Its an old frame I (think it i called a vertical dropout).

The fork should be ok. Its an all steal urban jump fork. Its seems burly than the Surly Instigator fork which is approved for tandems.

The Frame, headset and fork are all solid. The front wheel is a Mavic 823 and the rear is an ex something or other. These are burly wheels. The front hub is from Azonic and I can convert it to 20mm.

The bike is heavy, but it cruises. The bike was set up with 1.5 tires. I was able to squeeze a 1.75 Michellin Country rock tire in the back. Its very close. I was looking to upgrade the tires. Any recommendations?
    The ones I have are stock Electras and seem pretty beefy. I know Electra/Nirve and others sell aftermarket parts. Some pretty cool stuff available. As far as chain tension I was mainly talking about the timing chain in front...how is that tensioned? Or did you just get lucky with chain length?

This is what I'm running up front...it's a 26 x 2.1 so maybe too fat for your fork? Like I said the back is a fatty 20" wheel so that wouldn't be applicable to your frame.

http://www.electrabike.com/miva/merc...egory_Code=CTS
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Shirtcocker
    I kept the original cranks and timing chain. However the front BB is an eccentric. It was very easy to work on.
    I have 2 cruiser tandems--one with an EBB and the other with one of those cheesy chain tensioners. The EBB is definately the better design.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I kept the original cranks and timing chain. However the front BB is an eccentric. It was very easy to work on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Here's our rig, by itself, and then in action. Pretty much stock, except for a rigid stoker post, and new bar tape. The action shot is from the September 2008 Tour de Tahoe 70 mile event.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by ignacious
    Here's our rig, by itself, and then in action. Pretty much stock, except for a rigid stoker post, and new bar tape. The action shot is from the September 2008 Tour de Tahoe 70 mile event.
    That Tahoe loop is always a good one, you look like you are having fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

banned
    Our tandem- an '84 santana sovereign.

With the trailer, it's about as long as my car. So far, it's been a pretty reliable nap-generator for our daughter...

HomeBrew Master
    Here's one of our tandems.
    Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT,Cannondale RT3000 Tandem, Santana Triplet

HomeBrew Master
    Here's our Triplet. All the pedals are now in-sync.

And our Tandem.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus Riley
    Now that is the coolest one yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

HomeBrew Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Now that is the coolest one yet!
    Kids love it. I can ride it okay, however standing while climbing is quite a challenge!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Ignacious, are your in the Tahoe area?

Nice ride, $1.50! Have you had it since it was born?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    No, we are from the Phoenix area, Chandler, AZ to be specific. We have a family condo at the top of Kingsbury Grade, though, so it is nice to have a place to stay up there. I noticed that our jackets aren't the most flattering in our picture, so here we are, post TdTahoe, in slightly more aero garb...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

In process...

Here is my tandem in process. It is currently at Joe Bells getting painted. I should get it early to mid march!

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus Riley
    too cool...did you weld 2 of those punk bikes together or did they actually make a tandem model?

HomeBrew Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    too cool...did you weld 2 of those punk bikes together or did they actually make a tandem model?
    Somebody actually makes this model.

RoadBikeReview Member

Our Arriva

Still a work in progress, but almost there. I've got parts coming in from eBay to go triple x 10 instead of triple x 8 and will still do some handlebar changes.

We picked this up on Craig's List for $700. With the upgrades, I'll be in it for about $1600. Pedals and saddles were scavenged from the garage-o-parts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim the Giant rider
    Here is my tandem in process. It is currently at Joe Bells getting painted. I should get it early to mid march!
    And it looks really sweet in orange, looking forward to seeing the final build. What were you riding before this?

PMK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Ours.. for the pavement.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast