Post a pic or two of your tandem. - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Just about everything is done. New bars and stems for all, SPD-SL pedals and Ultegra/XTR 10 speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Looks nice. Is the stem one of those quill to threadless adaptors?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Looks nice. Is the stem one of those quill to threadless adaptors?
    Ha! No, it's a standard Santana 1-1/4" threadless steerer.

The new captain's stem is a Syntace Force 119 that will actually fit 1-1/4" or 1-1/8" with a shim.

BUT... The stack height is about 1/8" shorter and I couldn't get any preload on the headset. Of course 1-1/4" spacers are nowhere to be found locally. So I'm poking through all the parts in the garage to find something that will fit temporarily and discover that a cassette cog spacer will do the job! Good since I didn't really feel like pulling the fork and cutting it at the moment.

Chris King does in fact make 1-1/4" spacers and a headset for those of you with Santanas, and the Syntace stem is a great discovery. They come from 75mm - 135mm and fit 31.8 HBs.

I didn't get a King headset, but I ordered some nice black spacers and they should be here next week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Our Chucks bike triplet

This is our budget triplet. Put it together with parts from the garage in about a week for a grand total of about $1500. I am really happy with how it handles for the the price. The 1.5 inch steerer tube is over kill but may come in handy as the team weight increases. I am looking to add a disk to the front in the future to provide a little more braking redundancy. If the rear cable were to fail we would lose both back brakes. We broke a cable comming down Mnt Diablo (18% grade) several years ago on our Gary Fischer Gemini pulling a Burley trailer and it was a scary experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Triplet Photo

Hopefully the Photo posts this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianKoss
    Hopefully the Photo posts this time.
    Great looking crew.

You are running both rear brakes off 1 cable?!? I can see how you might be looking for a better set-up.......
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Triplet rear brakes

I know it is not the prefered set up. It was the best I could do at the time. I got the frame and built it up a week before a Tandem ralley we signed up for. The frame doesn't have enough cable stops to run a drag brake (draw back to a budget frame). The plan was to add a bunch of cable stops later and have it repainted. As is, it stops really well and I think by installing the second disk it should be able to stop if either brake cable is lost. I didn't put the disk on before the ralley because I had never used disk brakes before and didn't know if it would affect the steering. I think the fork is massive enough that the input from the brake will be negligible and the amount of surface area I have to dissipate heat is maximized by using the rims with the discs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Wow, cool! Assembling a triple is pretty impressive in my book. It look like one timing chain is tight and one is a little slack- do triples usually have two EBBs? And are you guys in Northern CA? About your rear brakes, brazeons would be nice, but you could probably use full length housing zip tied on. Not the prettiest method, but it`s got to work better than trying to work discs and cantis with the same lever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Triplet brakes

I had installed an arai drum brake on our old Fischer tandem after loosing the brake cable going down hill. I used the SIS shift cable and zip tied it to the frame. The cable jacket was so long that it never worked very well. It really needs to be run in straight lines with cable stops at the ends to work properly.

The rim brakes are V-brakes so I didn't have to use an adapter. I did not like the small radius that the cable is required to bend around. It was a sharp radius on a cable guide that caused the cable on the old bike to fail. The disc is set up to engage first and the v brakes are only used to dump a little heat into the rims. The one thing I don't like about the Arai drum brake (on my and my sons Kuwahara commuter) is it can get the hub quite warm on long descents which is not the greatest for bearing life. I do like how easy it is to regulate speed. I already had a spare drum that I was was going to install but descided to play a little with the discs instead.

RoadBikeReview Member

Our tandem at time trial

here are pictures from our team time trial, we beat our single bikes times by 10% going over 1600' of elevation and 16 miles.
    I wish we had a real road tandem for the race
    2009 Specialized Langster Moscow
    2009 Trek 2.3
    2007 Specialized Tarmac Expert red/white
    (Ultegra cranks, Ksyrium Es wheels)
    2001 Gary Fisher Marlin (gone, my first MTB)
    2002 Lemond Buenos Aires
    2005 Specilaized Stumpjumper disc yellow
    2005 Specialized Stumpjumper silver
    2006 Gary Fisher Piranha
    1999 Univega Tandem

.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.

www.eyecyclecolorado.org

Hey tandem peeps, just an FYI should you ever choose to upgrade or want to do something pretty cool concerning tandems...a woman that was my roommate at my recent Women's Cycling Camp out in Moab UT introduced me to an organization she extended into the Denver area: http://eyecyclecolorado.org/ They offer tandem bike rides to the blind and visually impaired.She even had a special shorter tandem built to her own size so she could captain shorter blind riders. She is 67 yrs old, and one hell of a cyclist. She still races too. Anywho this hit home for me, my father, two brothers and two nephews all have cone-rod dystrophy and are blind or going to go blind in their lifetime. I thought this was such an awesome idea! There are similar organization popping up around the country I've found. Spread the word...imagine that...blind people riding bikes....amazing.

BS the DC
    Quote Originally Posted by android
    Just about everything is done. New bars and stems for all, SPD-SL pedals and Ultegra/XTR 10 speed.
    Very nice before and after.
    "The team wasn't just riders. It was the mechanics, masseurs, chefs, soigneurs, and doctors. But the most important man on the team may have been the chiropractor."

- Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts

BS the DC
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianKoss
    I know it is not the prefered set up. It was the best I could do at the time. I got the frame and built it up a week before a Tandem ralley we signed up for. The frame doesn't have enough cable stops to run a drag brake (draw back to a budget frame). The plan was to add a bunch of cable stops later and have it repainted. As is, it stops really well and I think by installing the second disk it should be able to stop if either brake cable is lost. I didn't put the disk on before the ralley because I had never used disk brakes before and didn't know if it would affect the steering. I think the fork is massive enough that the input from the brake will be negligible and the amount of surface area I have to dissipate heat is maximized by using the rims with the discs.
    One thought I had for a similar setup, where the rear end is setup for disc and rim brakes, is to give the stoker a brake lever. This would be easy to route and give the stoker some sense of control.
    "The team wasn't just riders. It was the mechanics, masseurs, chefs, soigneurs, and doctors. But the most important man on the team may have been the chiropractor."

- Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts

GeoCyclist
    Oct 2002

Wonderful Oman!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GeoCyclist
    We might branch out a bit, and try our luck in Oman; however, a recon trip this September is planned to discover if Oman will be a tandem friendly destination.
    Oh yes! Oman was a wonderful place to go road cycling, and the off road biking looked very challenging. My stoker and I didn't make it to Oman in September, but April proved good enough. After eight days of cycling in Oman I can’t wait to get back for another tandem cycling adventure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Tierra Bella.... 4/18/2009..... Gilroy, CA.....
    8 years, 6 years, & don't ask.....
    Last edited by LouD-Reno; 04-28-2009 at 12:21 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Your stokers look considerably bigger than in the picture you posted from Donner Pass just a few months ago. Do you get any noticeable help motorwise?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Your stokers look considerably bigger than in the picture you posted from Donner Pass just a few months ago. Do you get any noticeable help motorwise?
    Yes and sort of...... the little guy is part of the drivetrain now, and they're both stronger for sure.... but to fit the big guy on the back I had to put the crank shorteners in their smallest position.... and I gotta admit I miss his additional leverage on the big climbs..... the good news is I think he's big enough to go to the next larger position...... we'll soon find out..... next on tap is the Indian Valley Century, then I think we're gonna do the Hayfork Century after that ( www.hayforkcentury.com )

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    12,000 vertical on that Hayfork C. Are you looking at the long course? That`s too much for me- I broke the 5000 mark once. It didn`t hurt too bad, but there`s no way I could double it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    12,000 vertical on that Hayfork C. Are you looking at the long course? That`s too much for me- I broke the 5000 mark once. It didn`t hurt too bad, but there`s no way I could double it.
    No, with the triplet, 12k is too much for me as well..... we're gonna do the Wildwood Peanut Loop..... something I've been wanting to do for years..... plus a couple of days floating the Trinity.... gosh I love N.Cal !!!

Lou

P.S. I will be doing the DeathRide ~15k climbing, and the Shasta Summit ~16.5k climbing... and all the training that implies.... just on my solo..... this year..... but one of these days we'll be doing it on the triplet !!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Now we've bolted on a new FSA Gossamer cranks and SD-7 brakes. The crank was a great upgrade. Shifting is GREATLY improved over the stock Shimano cranks. Brakes are pretty good too. Feel and response is like my single and I don't have to worry about "thinking about" stopping anymore. We've got the red and black with a touch of silver theme pretty solidly executed too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

New Tandem/First Tandem

Wife and I have a grand total of 50 miles (2 rides) and we're enjoying riding the tandem tremendously. Lots of trades in selecting the daVinci, but it's right for us. Even us old folks can go pretty fast on the flats. Handles well, but it is definitely not a 1/2-bike.

Rick T

Fresh from the china shop

My 27 yr old tandom and my 4yr old son

I got this bike a couple of months ago, haven't ridden nearly as much as I would like. I really need to get some of those crank shortners! As it is, he can only help at the top of each stroke. He really gets a kick out of going for rides, though. To tell the truth, I enjoy the feel of the cruiser vs my road and mt bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

New tandem build

My spring break project was building this up for my wife and me to ride. It's been a lot of fun so far and we seem to enjoy it more every time out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    was this bike in monona wisconsin at Machinery Row bike shop? i saw one there for about the same price in March 09.

Seat's not level
    Here are a few of us. We have a couple hundred miles on it so far.

tandem1.JPG
    tandem2.JPG
    tandem3.JPG
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast