Post a pic or two of your tandem.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Post a pic or two of your tandem.

Heck, post a bunch and a story. It's all good.

Hmmmm, I guess I better start taking pix of ours too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1

I'll show you mine when you show me yours.

BTW, I was at a bike shop this weekend and saw a $36,000 titanium lightspeed triplet hanging from the ceiling. At least, that's what the shop rat said. A custom order that never got claimed.

So yers is quite the bargain!

Yo no fui.
    My fiance and I bought this off of ebay to ride around town for coffee and to use as a prop in our wedding. You can follow the link in the link to see the "before" pictures. (Sorry, I can't post pics from work. Any help?) We've since added a few pinstripe decasl and whitewalls are waiting to be picked up. We really need new seats.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=124033
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars.Ē Laurent Fignon

In need of sock puppet
    The tandem: 1995 Santana Sovereign. XTR cranks & derailleurs. Edco hubs. Avid ultimate V-brakes. Chris King 1.25" headset. Sachs 8 speed brifters with Shimano spacing.

The story: My wife has transitioned from being a casual once a month cyclist to a solid riding partner, and the Santana was instrumental in that shift. It was a craigslist score; locally owned since new, and we're extremely happy to have found it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002
    First Pic is my favorite of us at the 1998 NWTR. The only time we had bigger smiles was at our wedding.

2nd is our new ride that we will be taking to the NWTR this year.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1

Disc in back but not front? What's your reasoning there?
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Cheese is my copilot
    1990 Burley Duet, pretty much stock. Found it new in the box a couple of years ago. Need to put some mileage on it this year.

Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Disc in back but not front? What's your reasoning there?
    It is a stock bike so it is Santana's reasoning not mine.

Basically the rear disc is a heat sink and won't really lock up the wheel-although it is plenty strong it takes a lot to lock up the rear wheel of a tandem.

I've been on a lot of tandems and this one has by far the best braking (so far, we only have 600 miles on the thing) for control and lever feel of any of the tandems I have ridden.
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Just finished building this a couple weeks ago. It's a custom from Taylor Bicycles. Steel frame with carbon rear stays and full carbon fork, full Campy Record drivetrain, DT Swiss rims on White Industry hubs. Bike weighs 31.2lbs.

Our last bike weighed 36lbs, the bike before that 44lbs and the tandem before that kissed 50. This bike feels, rides, climbs and performs like a 16-17lb performance single. We're very happy with the build, unfortunately at the moment it's a much better bike than we are riders!

KRhea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Coupled Supremo next to Fiat 500 in Prosecco Country.
    Pair of Supremos on Monte Grappa.
    FS Ventana in Summit County

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by krhea
    Just finished building this a couple weeks ago. It's a custom from Taylor Bicycles. Steel frame with carbon rear stays and full carbon fork, full Campy Record drivetrain, DT Swiss rims on White Industry hubs. Bike weighs 31.2lbs.

Our last bike weighed 36lbs, the bike before that 44lbs and the tandem before that kissed 50. This bike feels, rides, climbs and performs like a 16-17lb performance single. We're very happy with the build, unfortunately at the moment it's a much better bike than we are riders!

KRhea
    Nice looking ride. I usually don't like wrapping bars with oddball colors (anything other than black ), but that's sharp. Any reason to go with the one bar end shifter?
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by California L33
    Nice looking ride. I usually don't like wrapping bars with oddball colors (anything other than black ), but that's sharp. Any reason to go with the one bar end shifter?
    Thanks for the compliment. The single bar end is a temporary fix for a loss of strength in my left hand which inhibits my ability to shift using the Ergo lever. I'm currently suffering from an ulnar nerve problem.

KRhea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Pics of our '93 CoMo Double E tandem before several upgrades including campy 10spd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Very sleek, fast and classic looking Co-Mo. Nicely done.

KRhea

Team Tom's
    Geez, very nice... My wife and I are looking for our first tandem.

Feb 2008

91 Fisher Gemini

In touring mode this summer. Originally a mtb but I added drops, slicks and a rack. Still using the XT thumb shifters.

Feb 2008

2001 Cannondale RT3000

On Ragbrai 2005. Sad thing is that this one still has less than 1300 miles on it--family, job and life always seem to get in the way.

GeoCyclist
    Oct 2002

My Tandem Story

You said post a story, well hear is my tandem cycling story with a few photos.

I purchased my Santana Rio new in 1999 while my wife and I were living in Turkey. I had no previous experience cycling on tandems, and I purchased my Rio without any research relying on bike shop assistance. I bought the Rio while on summer holiday in Southern California from a small bike shop in Carpentaria. The bike shop owner (Dennis) was a travelling tandem enthusiast, and I guess I was lucky to find his shop. Dennis was very helpful in organizing a quick delivery from Santana of a complete S&S coupled Rio that he calculated would fit my team and planned cycling. The Rio purchase was made without my soon to be stoker any the wiser; she was already back in Turkey at work. The Rio arrived on schedule, I watched Dennis breakdown the bike, and the bike was packed up for shipment to Turkey. So started my tandem cycling adventure!
    Three months later, I was back in Turkey when the bike finally arrived; long story I wonít go into about the drama of shipping my bike. It is amazing how much one can forget about assembling a tandem in three months time. Once again Dennis was very helpful, and assisted me via telephone communication on how to assemble my tandem. It was early winter when my stoker and I set off on our first tandem ride in the outskirts of Ankara, Turkey. This tandem teamís cycling experience in Turkey was limited to 99% off paved roads. To cycling on a paved road was way more dangerous than this team was willing to tolerate. So, the Santana Rio MTB tandem proved an excellent choice. My stoker and I enjoyed countless hours of cycling along dirt country roads, and down livestock tracks. Yes, Turkey is a country of very few fences. This teamís first three years of tandem cycling was low speed, technical riding, with the occasional trip to Cappadocia to cycling in the bike lanes! First photo was taken during a cycling trip in Cappadocia, Turkey. Cappadocia was our long weekend get away from Ankara, and a chance to cycling on roads with limited traffic. Cappadocia is also where this tandem team experienced their first, and hopefully last, high speed crash; a story for another time.
    Round two of this teamís tandem cycling experience was Japan. Shortly after moving to Japan, and a few rides into the mountain, the Rio started a slow conversion into a quasi road tandem. MTB tires were replaced with slicks, and MTB drive train was replaced with Ultegra road drive train. This team also had their first serious doubts about cycling down steep hills. Previous to cycling in Japan, we had never been on a descent that the drum brake would NOT effectively reduce the bike speed. Our first mountain ride in Japan down a +15% descent taught us a lesson in physics. We smoked the drum brake, burned up one set of rim brake pads, and nearly needed to stop mid ride to clean our cycling shorts. This was one tandem team that was never so happy to see the bottom of a hill! A serious overhaul of the drum brake, new rim brake pads, and a whole lot more respect for steep grades managed to get this team through 5 years cycling in Japan without any crashes. I almost forgot to mention the 24 tooth under drive conversion; yes, the hills in Japan are steep. Photos three and four were taken in the mountains South of Hiroshima, that is a 26% grade my stoker is looking at.
    Travel touring was the next big step in this tandem teamís adventure cycling. Tour in the NW USA San Juan Islands, Columbia River Gorge, Central Coast of California, Smoky Mountains, and Burgundy France turned this tandem team into luxury supported touring cyclist. Photos 4 to 6 were taken during some of our tandem tours.
    This tandem teamís current home is in the Middle East on the island of Bahrain. This has not been a cycling friendly place to live. The tandem has collected a lot of dust sitting unused in the storage room. This tandem team has had to fly to Europe, or the USA, to go cycling. We might branch out a bit, and try our luck in Oman; however, a recon trip this September is planned to discover if Oman will be a tandem friendly destination.
    So that is my Tandem cycling story to date. This time next year I hope to be writing about five weeks of fun, riding a new CF race tandem, around the Central Coast area of California.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoCyclist
    You said post a story, well hear is my tandem cycling story with a few photos......
    [email protected], them's some great adventures.

Feb 2008

SS Miss Kitty

She is a Single Speed, Cyclocross style...

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovermd
    She is a Single Speed, Cyclocross style.......
    WOW!

SSing a tandem!

That is insane (but GREAT!!!).

What gear are you running?

Feb 2008
    The gearing changes depending upon our mood.
    The dirt gear is a 41x23. Mostly we ride on dirt.
    My captain is a young (27 year old) guy and I'm 47 and in decent riding shape so we can handle most stuff with this combo.

We ride a 54xsomething on the Road and are trying to select a gear for Rosarito-Ensenada.

The issue around here is the climbing...

If we run a 54x23 we can climb things like Newport Coast which is a 2.5 mile 6-7% grade. We end up having to push this one out at 10mph just to keep the cranks turning over. Unfortunately after riding 40 or so miles in this gear we are pretty beat from all the spinning.

We also have ridden a 54x13 (or something like that) on the road and that is nice (we ca climb SHORT climbs at 6%) but we would never get up Newport Coast. Next rey is something like a 54x20.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Heres our Tandem craigslist buy from a few years back.

I was told that bike was built by a frame builder in norther California named John Tower. I'm not sure when it was built but it is a 7 speed bike.

My web searches have been unable to find any other information on the frame builder though.

We really like riding the tandem, but I do yearn for a lighter (46lbs), better braking Tandem sometimes.

The Ferrari red paint sold me along with the Phil wood hubs and BB that the bike has.
    Last edited by Jeffh; 08-31-2008 at 11:29 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

Just built

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jedisith
    I just built this:
    Unique.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast