Where to find a CHEAP Tandem - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    $300 got me a Craigs list Schwinn Duo Sport. Originally a high end $$$ tandem, so had all the right kind of stuff.

Of course i needed to repair it and bought me a good thick colorful bike repair book. A used bike normally comes with bone head repairs and parts the former owner thought were good. But since most bikes are not ridden anyway, how would they know.

i have a cheap tandem too, but don't recommend that unless this would be for Posing only. My rides are out in the country so most any brakes work good with proper adjustment. Of course i am just fooling myself (get the good brakes)

For the safety conscious, best to have the best of the best though. You in town people know what i mean.

Don't worry about brakes now as Schwinn did it right decades ago on this bike. Did i mention this thing is a tank, but once we are on our way, it really makes no difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Go for a used, formerly high end tandem. Make sure, all tandem specific parts are available and OK.
    It's a much better choice than a cheap modern one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Where can I find the best "road bike" style tandem?

this should be witty
    Feb 2009

Define "best" in $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanH View Post
    Where can I find the best "road bike" style tandem?
    Depends on how much you want to spend. We are very happy with our $1800 KHS Milano, but have already made some significant upgrades (wheels) after a few thousand miles. Pretty hard to buy something that you can put miles on for less than that.

If your wallets a bit fatter, the Cannondale is a cool bike. I've looked at them, but never rode one. From there, the sky's the limit.

BT, wishing you ride safe
    If you have an Android based smartphone you can get an app called "craig notifica" which will constantly monitor craig's list postings in one or more areas for specific key words like "tandem"

I'm checking my local CL and get about a post a week, mostly old schwinns. Occasionally there's a nice used Burley or such.
    BT

'09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I'll reiterate that the Giordano Viaggio on Amazon is an amazing deal. I got it for ~$500 shipped, and now it's $449. Pretty good deal, and it is a very good starter tandem. We rode RAGBRAI on it with no problems, and ride it all over. My other bike is a fully custom carbon bike with full SRAM Red, so I know what good components are like, and the low level shimano 8 speed is definitely different, but works perfectly fine. I wouldn't blow more money, especially considering you have to spend several thousand dollars to get a decent tandem elsewhere.

My 2 cents.

willhs, I agree, with certain reservations.

For a really serious riders who will pile on miles, it's not a good choice. It won't hold up, and parts replacement can be sketchy. Also, it only comes one size, XL-SM. None the less, I find I'm able to accommodate a wide range of riders, from my 9 y/o grandson to my 5'10'' wife.

For the casual rider, the skinny seats and drop bars will probably be very uncomfortable. Also my Lambo required a lot of fine tuning, esp. truing the wheels and adjusting the brakes. The bike was "unsafe at any speed" upon initial assembly. The problem was cheap brake pads and "brifters" which don't have enough travel to properly activate the type of brake on the bike. "Travel agents" or new brakes (Avids in my case) along with wheel truing and adjustments are required. Also the stock wheels where full of metal filings from the drilling process, and the rim "tape" (a skimpy piece of innertube) was useless. I had many flats until I address these issues.

Having said all that, I love this bike, and have maybe 3 k miles or more. I ride it several times each week, albeit short rides (10 - 14 mi) The key is, it meets my needs. I wish I had the need (and $$$) for a serious tandem, but fact is, I don't. Besides, if I got one that fit my wife, my grandson would be out.

A good used "brand name" is a viable alternative, and for some one who is serious, probably a better choice. The problem there is 1. availability, 2. sizing, and 3. if the bike is older, parts may be a problem.

Sooooo, having said all that, I would recommend this bike for some one who understands the limitations but still finds it to meet their needs.
    BT

'02 Diamondback Hybrid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I agree. I didn't have any problems with my wheels, but I did put on new brake pads. It does take some work to get the gearing dialed in just right. But, we go for 50-100 mile rides with no difficulty, and it weighs about the same as any other "reliable used tandem" which would still cost quite a bit more (it weighs about 50 lbs). It's stiff, but still comfortable enough to ride. We did replace the seats with better ones for us (especially for long rides).

Overall, recommended for any couple where at least one of them is not crazy serious about riding.

Who needs a map?
    I picked up a super cheap ($250 w/ free shipping) tandem from Amazon last year. My wife and I have put maybe a few hundred miles on it. It's ok, but you get what you pay for. The frame definitely has some flex to it (as in, not laterally stiff). The components are bottom of the barrel and the grip shifter for the rear cogs somehow got out of whack so that when I'm on gear 7 it shows 6, and when I'm on gear 1 it shows blank because it's twisted beyond where it should be. It's not a matter of adjusting the derailer, it's an issue with the shifter. But, it shifts through all the gears so whatever.

Other than that, it's rideable and we can cruise around on the MUT and have a good time. I'd love to have a higher end machine, but this one suits our needs.
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    craigslist

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    ebay ftw

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    What about if your're from Ontario Canada? I don't see any at wal-mart here

Quote Originally Posted by Aro2220 View Post
    What about if your're from Ontario Canada? I don't see any at wal-mart here
    Order on line for store delivery. Get a ride to the border from your stoker, get a bus to the nearest wal-mart. Ride home.
    BT

'02 Diamondback Hybrid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    What is the weight of a Tandem?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've always wanted to try a Tandem.. thinking it would be fun with my GF (Although I'd be doing all the work)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12