Saddle clamps for seatpost stub ?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Saddle clamps for seatpost stub ?

I wanted to replace my 3 year old Selle Italia Carbonio (rebadged as Time) sadlle with new version of the Selle Italia SLR Carbonio. The problem is new saddle uses thicker, wider and oval shape carbon rails vs round ones on the old one. The rails are also wider outside to outside 5.1cm 4.9cm. I see that Look owners had similar problems but bought Ritchey adapters to solve the problem.

Does Time sell seatpost pieces that are wider to fit thicker oval rails? Insult to injury I think TIme saddles are also discontinued.

Edit:

I contacted Selle Italia USA rep and according to them carbon rails could be off by few mm because they are bent or formed and not machined. They advise to either squeeze or spread the rails when installing. I tried squeezing but still can't get it to work as gap is too big.

Also been told that they don't recommend the type of post craddle clamps that come on Time's for 7x9 oval shape carbon rails which seems to be the standard. There is no carbon rails that are round 7mm because they don't offer enough strength.

I think Time engineers overlooked the seatpost cradle design.
    Last edited by stoked; 05-04-2012 at 09:12 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoked View Post
    I wanted to replace my 3 year old Selle Italia Carbonio (rebadged as Time) sadlle with new version of the Selle Italia SLR Carbonio. The problem is new saddle uses thicker, wider and oval shape carbon rails vs round ones on the old one. The rails are also wider outside to outside 5.1cm 4.9cm. I see that Look owners had similar problems but bought Ritchey adapters to solve the problem.

Does Time sell seatpost pieces that are wider to fit thicker oval rails? Insult to injury I think TIme saddles are also discontinued.

Edit:

I contacted Selle Italia USA rep and according to them carbon rails could be off by few mm because they are bent or formed and not machined. They advise to either squeeze or spread the rails when installing. I tried squeezing but still can't get it to work as gap is too big.

Also been told that they don't recommend the type of post craddle clamps that come on Time's for 7x9 oval shape carbon rails which seems to be the standard. There is no carbon rails that are round 7mm because they don't offer enough strength.

I think Time engineers overlooked the seatpost cradle design.
    More likely that Selle Italia produced a saddle that was not within tolerances.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I have the stubby seatpost on an RXRS and it does not play well with the 7x9 oval carbon rails. I had a Fizik Arione CX braided with the oval carbon rails, and even though the clamping mech didn't mesh well with the non-round rails, it still held (probably partially because of the braided style Fizik uses on their carbon rails) though I am a lighter rider (59 kg/130 lbs). It was still scary to ride around on though, and luckily my butt doesn't like the Arione, so it's been switched out...

Maybe check with your local Time dealer or call up one of the big Time dealers you can find on the web like Pista Palace, R&A Cycles, or Wrench Science?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I spent some time researching and came up with my own solution. I needed a cheap donor top cradle from a seatpost that was carbon friendly. I found a Crossfire seatpost made by FUNN that works with 7 or 8 mm rails. It also uses 6mm bolts and dowels.

1. I used the top clamp piece and 6mm dowel from this post. There are 2 versions of this post and I had to send back the wrong one even though webseller had the picture of the version I wanted. Got the correct seatpost from ebay under $40 after confirming with seller and getting actual picture of the post I wanted.

The one on the top works.

crossfire2.jpg funn-crossfire.JPG

2. I found out that Time uses a 7mm bolt in the front so I needed a M7 dowel. These things are hard to find and forget about finding them at home depot/Lowes. After some googling found a Ti barrel nut made for a Giant seatpost at torontocycles specializing in Ti parts. These are too long and do not fit into the space on the clamp piece that I used. I tried cutting it with a hacksaw but barely scratched the surface. I found a machine shop and had the 7M dowel cut 3mm on each side($10)

If you are fine with Ti or other non-carbon rail saddle then there is no need for all this but if you want to use a carbon rail saddle then this is a pretty good solution. The weight gain is only 25g and it cost me about $60.

I had to cut the ISP 5mm because new saddle is taller than my old one.

Here is the finished product.

post.jpg

post3.jpg

post1.jpg