2008 Madone 5.2 pricing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

2008 Madone 5.2 pricing?

I've seen nothing but positive press for this bike but don't have any experience with buying Treks. I'm interested in a 5.2, but my budget is around $3k, so I'd like to get as close to that as possible - is $500+ off reasonable to expect in the April/May time frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    My bike shop quoted me a sale price of $3,000.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I paid $3200

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
    I've seen nothing but positive press for this bike but don't have any experience with buying Treks. I'm interested in a 5.2, but my budget is around $3k, so I'd like to get as close to that as possible - is $500+ off reasonable to expect in the April/May time frame?
    maybe next year at closeout on 2008 frames you might get that much off??

http://spokesetc.com/itemlist.cfm?pageId=182

RoadBikeReview Member
    doubtful - its a new bike getting great press. Demand will far exceed supply for the foreseeable future. When I picked my 5.2 up, the rep happened to have been there and told me I was lucky that I got it now (Dec) as they anticipate people waiting for months to get one come spring.
    Last edited by 08Madone5.2; 01-04-2008 at 02:24 PM.

AJK

Nov 2007
    What shop quoted $3,000. I would buy right now at that price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    He's right, run over there with your checkbook

S80
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    list is 3300 at my LBS but their 5.2 has been sitting there for monts - and its a 56cm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Your post is so vague, leaves a lot of room for interpretation. If its been sitting there for "months," maybe you're in the middle of nowhere. Maybe its been sitting there because its a 56. If it has been sitting there, then its time to put your negotiating skills to use by telling your LBS you will take it off his hands at a price you're willing to pay. Of course if you're not a 56 its all moot. I'd venture to guess you're not a 56. If you were, you would have been negotiating already. "If you don't ask, you don't get."
    Last edited by 08Madone5.2; 01-05-2008 at 04:34 AM.

S80
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Interestingly, I live in the fifth largest city in the U.S. I would consider a bike sitting in inventory since August - months. Specific enough for you? Thought the board should know that the Madone's aren't as sold out as you assert. But certainly, TREK dealers may have inventory issues when demand picks up in the Spring. But demand by no means currently exceeds supply - my point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I paid $3100.00

Aug 2007

I paid...

$3350

RoadBikeReview Member
    More importantly, how do you guys like your Madone 5.2??? Give us a review.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by S80
    Interestingly, I live in the fifth largest city in the U.S. I would consider a bike sitting in inventory since August - months. Specific enough for you? Thought the board should know that the Madone's aren't as sold out as you assert. But certainly, TREK dealers may have inventory issues when demand picks up in the Spring. But demand by no means currently exceeds supply - my point.
    Demand FAR exceeds supply. This is what you will find if you attempt to have your shop order any 08' Madone. That they have had a 5.2 in a 56cm sitting for months in a major city is very curious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    i paid 3200 last july

RoadBikeReview Member
    Trek lists the 5.2 for $3679.99. That is MSRP, but typically bike shops sell for less. I'm sure potential buyers would much rather read about how us owners feel about their 5.2's. Lets get some feedback!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 08Madone5.2
    Trek lists the 5.2 for $3679.99. That is MSRP, but typically bike shops sell for less. I'm sure potential buyers would much rather read about how us owners feel about their 5.2's. Lets get some feedback!

Here is my overall feeling about the 08 5.2 Madone.

I had been riding a 03 Litespeed Capella (aluminum with carbon fork, ultegra). This was an incredibly light and snappy bike for its year and build. I think the scales would read around 18.5 lbs, pedals and all the normal accessories.

The Madone is lighter, and faster (climbing and descending). I ride in Colorado and there are not long flats here. The bike actually was dead-on its spec weight.

My climbing continued to improve thru the remainder of the riding season here.

Descents are amazing, it is like the bike is on rails. I'm thinking the brake pads will last forever!

Twoards the end of the riding season here, I set several personal best times and also had my fastest century.

The 5.2 Bontrager components may be light, but I didnt really like them. The seat was gone after 1 week. The handle bars got replaced next, and believe it or not, the wheels will be gone this week.

I also considered and test rode a few Specialized and Douglas (Colorado Cyclist) bikes. In this price range, the Madone was an easy choice.

This bike is what I wanted, YMMV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not sure if this is a factor but more people it seems are buying the Performance Fit rather than the Pro Fit. Those getting the Pro Fit may see a slightly lower price, or be able to acheive better negotiation.

IMO, the Performance Fit looks a Giant OCR, which is not to my taste or needs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a performance fit - the difference being a slightly taller steering tube. I know looks play a role in buying a bike but its not all about the looks. The pictures dont really do the new Madone justice. Its really a stunning bike in person, beautiful details, quality of finish. The real proof is in the riding, its an amazing ride - very stiff yet compliant. Its a great combination of comfort and performance. I have some centuries planned in the spring and I'm really looking forward to them on my new 5.2.

RoadBikeReview Member
    08madone5.2. I didn't mean it that way. I test rode both the Pro and Performance Fit and the on the Performane Fit, I felt like like was driving a bus. The handlebar was set up high and wide even after they lowered the bar as low as possible on a 54cm frame. I am about 5'7" 135lbs and I race, so I prefer to be a bit lower. Granted, I would be riding a 52cm. However both the Pro and Performance are very comfortable and plush compared to the alum Cervelo I ride now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 5' 9" and ride a 54 performance. I came out of a Trek 2300, also a 54. The first thing I noticed when I first rode it was that the handlebars felt wider. When I checked, the 5.2's handlebars are indeed wider - 42 vs 40 on the 2300. After a few rides, I got used to it and it feels perfectly normal. The geometry of the Performance and Pro is virtually identical save for the handlebar height. If you race, might as well go with the Pro version - 30mm lower height of the handlebars. The bike does ride beautifully no matter what version you go with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    My LBS offered me < $3k. PM me, and I'll give you the contact info. I'm sure they can ship it. I'm in Kansas.

Cycling induced anoesis
    I agree with you regarding the performance vs pro. I'm very close to your dimensions (5' 6" - 138 lbs), don't race but like the bars lower and not fond of long(er) head tubes. The 52 cm pro fit me like a glove right out of the box.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Hi '08, just curious. Did you measure the bars center to center to get 42 cm?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nope, I looked on the bars themselves. Its right there on the front.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast