Lemond spine ti/c steel/c bike lovers unite - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the red.
    Good score.

Badger Biker
    yeah, it's really an orange-ish red -- I had a klein that was the same color, they called it "Kalahari Blood Red".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Here's a photo of mine:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Sorry, can't get the photo host to work.

Badger Biker
    More to keep you guys interested. Here's the saddle I picked up from Waterloo (Thanks again, man!)

Selle San Marco M Saddle - White leather w/ World Champion Stripes. Awesome. Exactly what I wanted.

I'm using white cable housing and bar tape.

Quick Poll: What shifters do I use? I have all Ultegra 6600 components, but 9-speed 105 shifters. I'm upgrading.

Do I go with Ultegra 6600? I hate the way Shimano routes cables, but the new hood shape is much better than the last.

I could also go with Campagnolo Centaur (hot looking carbon) or SRAM Rival. Both of these have under-the-tape brake/shift routing, which I prefer, and the hoods on both are more comfortable. I could use a jTek shiftmate to make up for the lack of compatibility.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

attaque tous le temp
    Nov 2006
    i really like the feel of sram rival in my limited time on it. i prefer how it shifts to campy. the thumb lever in a sprint or in the drops was akward for me......something to think about if you race...then again, its not much of a problem for boonen, bettini, or the other greats who ride campy...

Badger Biker
    went with the 105 shifters. go me.

lack of cash makes it difficult to realize campy dreams. college blows.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

crit on a 2004 BA?

Anyone out there race their Buenos Aires? I am planning on doing some crits this year on mine. Am I nuts or what? I have seen a few steel Lemonds racing but no carbon/steel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    It's an identical geometry to the Tete de Course that Team Saturn dominated on, ther than the head tube being 1.5cm taller. I know a guy who raced a steel/carbon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

My 05 Victoire, Modded out a bit

I picked this up new back in 05 sight unseen after not being able to get a 5500 or a klein...imagine. Well suffice to say that i can still get prodeals from my lbs on a whole new lines of bikes and yet i can't make myself think that any of them would be a better bike than the Victoire. in hindsight i probably should have ordered a 55cm and not the 57 to get a bit more aggro in my riding position. but i may go after a more negative rise stem soon to compensate.
    i'd like to see some numbers for flex/stiffness etc. i imagine i'm losing a bit to the full carbon rides but it'd be nice to know how much.

I've upgraded the original in the following ways:
    ORA flat top carbon bar
    Nokon cables (ala Campy style now)
    Karbona Carbon stem (same as bontragers pretty much)
    karbona carbon clincher wheelset (50mm)
    Carbon compact cranks are en route.
    Bonty race xxx lite post
    Karbona Carbon seat (it was cheap and light...worth a try)
    Just installed a Ritchey WCS full carbon fork (any idea on how this will affect handling???_
    just installed Blue Chris King headset
    DA 11-23 cassette
    Mich Pro 2 Race tires

updated image. its all done for now.
    thanks for looking:

Last edited by paddlerx; 04-27-2007 at 04:48 AM.

Sluggo
    Quote Originally Posted by whateveronfire
    Has anyone ridden both the steel/carbon and the ti/carbon and can tell we (few, proud) fans how they compare?
    My main ride is an '04 Victoire. I love that bike. It's fast, but comfortable. And at my age that's important.
    Anyway, I'd been thinking of painting my back up '02 Zurich, but then realized it was going to cost about $450 for the complete job. So, instead I bought a used '04 Maillot Jaune frame on Ebay. The plan was to recycle the Zurich's parts. But, instead I bought a new Ultergra group, including a Shimano compact crank. Performance was having a sale on wheels; I couldn't resist. There's more, but to make this brief, the only parts I'm using from the Zurich are the pedals, stem, handlebars, seatpost, and saddle. When it's built up, pictures will be posted here.
    Point is that in a few weeks I should be able to give you a highly biased opinion on the ride qualities of both frames.

Badger Biker
    Hey,

I didn't know this thread was still alive. Well, here's my ride -- almost complete!

Versailles Steel/Carbon Frame
    Ultegra 6600 Crank, BB, Derailleurs
    105 5600 Shifters
    Bontrager Carbon Post

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    here is a pic of my lemond, awesome riding bike dont need to say more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

Nice,,,,

That's a beauty. Where did you get the custom paint?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    it is a rare project one paint scheme. i actually have it for sale right now but i am sure i will regret it. thanks.

Badger Biker
    Took mine out for the first ride today. Awesome. I need a shorter stem (I've got a 130 on there now, going to try a 120 tomorrow), but it's amazing. Extremely neutral handling, doesn't move from a line unless I tell it to.

I love it. Worth every penny.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    thats a good way to put, "doesn't move from a line unless I tell it to" but then again it still doesnt feel over stable like a touring bike. I know it lemonds "trademark" geometry but you would think other companies would try something similiar.

Badger Biker
    No, that's the odd thing. It's straight as an arrow, but when I lean into a turn, the bike responds fluidly and quickly.

Badger Biker

Thumbs up Photo from first week of Riding

My spring break trip to North Carolina was amazing. Loved the riding, love the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Looking good! Much nicer than your dorm room.

Sluggo

A funny thing happened on the way to the review...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxattax
    My main ride is an '04 Victoire. I love that bike. It's fast, but comfortable. And at my age that's important.
    Anyway, I'd been thinking of painting my back up '02 Zurich, but then realized it was going to cost about $450 for the complete job. So, instead I bought a used '04 Maillot Jaune frame on Ebay. The plan was to recycle the Zurich's parts. But, instead I bought a new Ultergra group, including a Shimano compact crank. Performance was having a sale on wheels; I couldn't resist. There's more, but to make this brief, the only parts I'm using from the Zurich are the pedals, stem, handlebars, seatpost, and saddle. When it's built up, pictures will be posted here.
    Point is that in a few weeks I should be able to give you a highly biased opinion on the ride qualities of both frames.
    How's this for a dog-ate-my-homework story? I finally got the Maillot Jaune built up and took it out for a couple of weekend rides. I tried to post some pics of the bikes, but the files are too large. Before I could figure out how to reduce the files to a size RBR would accept, I crashed the Victoire. The bike's OK for the most part. Unfortunately, I busted my right hip. So, the reviews and pics will have to wait. About four months. Bummer. So it goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    looks like you will have some time to post pics?

Sluggo
    Quote Originally Posted by harvestlaser
    You're right. I've got nothing but time.
    But now I've got to get the Victoire bandaged up by the medics at the LBS. The right hand shifter, handle bar tape, and rear derailleur took the brunt of the fall. Luckily, the frame and fork came through without a scratch. Unfortunately, I won't be able to drive for another month or so. It may be a while before I can post any pictures.
    So it goes.

Sluggo
    Quote Originally Posted by harvestlaser
    OK. I think we're ready to rock and roll.
    Back in the day there was a commercial on TV featuring a guy that liked his electric razor so much he bought the company. I can't afford to buy a bike company. But I liked my 2004 Victoire so much that when I saw a 2004 Maillot Jaune frame on Ebay, I bought it.
    The main difference between the steel/carbon vs. ti/carbon is handling. I think it has something to do with the longer head tube of the steel/carbon frames.
    The Victoire is quicker to respond. It has a more aggresive and livelier feel. But it's not twitchy. I've done several centuries on it, and have never felt trashed afterwards. It gives a very comfortable ride.
    The Maillot Jaune is steadier. It tracks very well, a tad more plush, if you will. I simply can't think of another term for the ride. But it's no slug. Despite weighing a couple of more pounds, the bike climbs like a cat. It's pretty stiff. It's also very comfortable.
    Granted, the bikes are set up with different wheels, tires, stems, handlebars, cranks, etc., so this is obviously not an apples-to-apples comparison.
    Here are a few pictures....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    The taller head tube is a 2005 change. The Ti/carbon bikes have it in 05' and 06' too.

edit: The 04 steel/carbon spine bikes had the 15mm head tube extension, the Ti/spine didn't get the extension until 05'.
    Last edited by davidka; 04-26-2007 at 05:42 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast