Lemond spine ti/c steel/c bike lovers unite - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Excellent. That's the comparison I'm looking for. Exactly what I expected.

I've actually given some thought to cutting 1.5 cm off the steel/carbon headtube on my bike to duplicate the ti/carbon geometry. Then it would be a really interesting comparison.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Nice Lemonds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

bump

edited the above photo..bump.

Soft
    I've just about got mine where I want it and snapped a pic yesterday.

2004 Zurich

Switched to Mavic Open Pro Front, CXP 33 Rear Wheels

King Headset

Thompson Elite seatpost

Brooks B17 Special Edition

I may still swap the handlebars, which don't have my favorite drop position and I think I may go with silver tape at some point. Still, a joy to ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Does anyone know if it is possible to polish the chainstays on a carbon/steel bike? I have some paint chipping off on my chainstay and might do something different than just use touch up paint.

I am thinking of something seen on a Colnago Master X Light.

Badger Biker
    You could sand them (not down to the carbon, mind you) and coat it with silver paint and then clearcoat it.

Sanding down to the carbon is tricky business and is liable to ruin the seatstays. Most paint strippers (not thinners) will damage the resin, so avoid those, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by biker_boy
    You could sand them (not down to the carbon, mind you) and coat it with silver paint and then clearcoat it.

Sanding down to the carbon is tricky business and is liable to ruin the seatstays. Most paint strippers (not thinners) will damage the resin, so avoid those, too.

I was thinking the steel chainstays only. So, no painting needed. How would polishing the steel be done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlerx

I WANT this frame!!!

Looking at a 53cm Versailles carbon/steel frame for my next build, although I would prefer the ti/carbon if it was in the price range. I have ridden Lemond steel a lot (Croix de Fer, Sarthe) and I love them, but I've heard the spine frames have equal or better ride/handling and are somewhat lighter, which is what motivated me to get one.

Really looking forward to getting it done. Bike will be BUDGET, less than $1500 total....

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    That black one is BEAUTIFUL. Simply perfect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am thinking about getting a 2006 new Croix De Fer because I like steel. If you have one do you like it?
    never,never,never give up

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Back from the dead, I just had to resurrect this one. I recently added a 2006 Versailles steel/carbon Lemond to my collection of Lemond bikes. Bringing me to 7 Lemonds total. Surprisingly this one was the second heaviest of all my Lemonds despite being the one with the half carbon frame. As I picked it up it was 21 lbs 14 ozs. After a day or tow I swapped out the very heavy Armadillo tires for some Vittoria Open Corsa CX tires. Then I got rid of the heavy Shimano double sided pedals and threw on an extra set of my Look Keo Pedals. Finally I swapped out the stem for a slightly longer one to get the reach spot on for me. Those simple steps to get it ready to ride brought the weight down to a more respectable 20 lbs 2 ozs. I plan to swap out those heavy Bontrager wheels, the saddle and then swap in Dura Ace 7800 parts for all the Shimano 105 stuff on their. I've already got a 10 speed Dura Ace Cassette on it. My goal is to get into at least the low 18 lb range in a ready to ride configuration. It just sucks that winter is in full force here right now and I can't test ride it. I won't take out the good bikes until after the spring rains clear off the road chemicals. Anyway, here's one picture as I picked it up. 1.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123