Post your Trek related questions here!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Post Post your Trek related questions here!

Hey RBR!

My name is Mitchell and I am the new Community Manager at Trek Bikes. This a great forum for all things road bikes and I hope to rekindle the "Trek" manufacturer forum so that if anyone has direct questions pertaining to their Trek bike, this could be the place for it. Feel free to drop any questions below. I'll do my best to answer anything and if I don't have the answer, I'll try to find it.

Let's just keep it clean and topic related. I'm just here to help! If there is anything out of the ordinary you'd want to share, please PM me anytime.

Look forward to chatting with you here!

P.S. if you have a thread in another section of the forum you want me to look at, please PM the link to me, thanks!
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Does Trek make good bikes?

Sorry, that just slipped out before my fingers found the keyboard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    Does Trek make good bikes?

Sorry, that just slipped out before my fingers found the keyboard.
    Not that I am bias.... but the answer is yes

Neophyte
    Hi Mitch, thank you for posting. Unfortunately this place doesn't get the traffic it used to, and the Manufacturer sub-forums are pretty quiet. Back in the day they were bumpin', though.

I'll ask a question... are Bontrager components manufactured in-house or specifically for Bontrager... or are they re-branded but made by another company (ex: Scott's Syncros wheels made by DT Swiss)? Does Trek/Bontrager actually do much engineering/design with the components (ex: Speed Stop brakes)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Hi Mitch, thank you for posting. Unfortunately this place doesn't get the traffic it used to, and the Manufacturer sub-forums are pretty quiet. Back in the day they were bumpin', though.

I'll ask a question... are Bontrager components manufactured in-house or specifically for Bontrager... or are they re-branded but made by another company (ex: Scott's Syncros wheels made by DT Swiss)? Does Trek/Bontrager actually do much engineering/design with the components (ex: Speed Stop brakes)?
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll still be here in case someone has a Q though!

To answer your question, Bontrager components are engineered in house. We do have some general wheels and hubs that are branded for us though. These are usually your very bottom tier options though. Formula, is the hub manufacturer we sometimes use. But when we make any product with another company, it is usually a partnership between the engineering teams of both sides. This is at least what I have been told and what I have seen so far at Trek. I actually get the pleasure of seeing our Aeolus XXX wheels made in house since I work in the Waterloo, WI HQ. Pretty amazing to see the level of work put into those.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Hello Mitch,
    Can you use the new Madone SLR bar stem combo on a prior generation Madone 9 series bike?
    2nd question, can you run a different stem (and handlebar) on a new Madone SLR?
    Is there a some new spacers and top cap piece, like there was on the Madone 9, that allows the use of a different stem?
    Thank You!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoundz View Post
    Hello Mitch,
    Can you use the new Madone SLR bar stem combo on a prior generation Madone 9 series bike?
    2nd question, can you run a different stem (and handlebar) on a new Madone SLR?
    Is there a some new spacers and top cap piece, like there was on the Madone 9, that allows the use of a different stem?
    Thank You!
    Hey ghoundz!

1) You wouldn't be able to attach the new Madone SLR bar/stem to the prior gen Madone. They use a different fitment with the frame integration and the headset.

2) Not at the moment, but if memory serves me right, this is something the Road team was considering so we may just be awaiting it's release.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've ridden various brands of bikes but have only owned Treks, (since 1983), and have been using them as my exclusive brand now. Absolutely my, (obviously) favorite brand. For a road bike, my personal choice of frame for years has been the Domane.

On the one negative side noted as an indirect question, what's with some of their choices for colors for specific models. The current Domane SL 7 is a terrific bike, especially for the dollar. Electronic shifting Ultegra with a terrific gear range and nice 32c hardcase lite quality level tires to make it faster and smoother riding combine with the IsoSpeed Decoupler front and back.

But the only color it comes in is black. What's the deal on such choices?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    I've ridden various brands of bikes but have only owned Treks, (since 1983), and have been using them as my exclusive brand now. Absolutely my, (obviously) favorite brand. For a road bike, my personal choice of frame for years has been the Domane.

On the one negative side noted as an indirect question, what's with some of their choices for colors for specific models. The current Domane SL 7 is a terrific bike, especially for the dollar. Electronic shifting Ultegra with a terrific gear range and nice 32c hardcase lite quality level tires to make it faster and smoother riding combine with the IsoSpeed Decoupler front and back.

But the only color it comes in is black. What's the deal on such choices?
    That would have been a choice by the design team, to which I could only speculate. But I'll send the feedback about the color their way!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    What size Emonda did Richie Porte ride in the last stage of the Tour Down Under?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by springs View Post
    What size Emonda did Richie Porte ride in the last stage of the Tour Down Under?
    Great question! Richie was on a size 50cm frame!

Russian Troll Farmer
    I have a 710 from 1978, but got the frame without decals, just a headtube badge. Are the proper decals available?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I have a 710 from 1978, but got the frame without decals, just a headtube badge. Are the proper decals available?
    Now that's a classic! But unfortunately we wouldn't have decals available. I would suggest reaching out to someone who makes custom vinyl though! Those decals are fairly easy to replicate.

Blah, Blah, Blah
    I've got one. I'm about to acquire a set of Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 carbon clinchers. I run a campagnolo drivetrain. Just want to double check that I need to ask my local Trek dealer to order part # W420390

Thanks,
    -Pete
    On & Off Rhodes.com
    Bike, Hike, Run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onrhodes View Post
    I've got one. I'm about to acquire a set of Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 carbon clinchers. I run a campagnolo drivetrain. Just want to double check that I need to ask my local Trek dealer to order part # W420390

Thanks,
    -Pete
    Hey Pete, that is the correct part for the Aeolus Pro 3 rear hub!

AeolusPro3_rear.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cool thread. Thanks for doing this Mitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200 View Post
    Cool thread. Thanks for doing this Mitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy to!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    All Questions relates to the Emonda SLR frameset only (rim brake version)

How long of a wait is it for Trek to complete and paint the Emonda SLR frameset via project one?
    I want a paint scheme with no Trek badging, is this possible with project one?
    Will there be any fitment issues with SRAM Red eTAP (original version)?
    What is the largest size tires that can fit the frame?
    Are the Bontrager direct mount brakes a better choice than the SRAM version? If so, why? If not, why?
    Will the Bontrager direct mount brakes make contact with the frame if handlebar is turned to the extreme left and right?

Thanks...
    Last edited by Methodical; 03-08-2019 at 06:03 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post

How long of a wait is it for Trek to complete and paint the Emonda SLR frameset via project one?
    Are the Bontrager direct mount brakes a better choice than the SRAM version? If so, why? If not, why?
    Will the Bontrager direct mount brakes make contact with the frame if handlebar is turned to the extreme left and right?

Thanks...
    I got my P1 in 15 days from Trek. I got the Trek Domane SLR 7 and love it. I own a Trek Emonda as well from 2015 and it's a great bike to ride. I'm sure Mitch will answer all your questions.
    2019 Trek Domane SLR-7 Project One
    2015 Trek Emonda SL-8 Shimano DA 9000
    2011 Cannondale Super Six
    2005 Cannondale Scalpel
    2003 Cannondale Jekyll

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks. That's good to know it doesn't take months and months.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks. That's good to know it doesn't take months and months.
    I think it depends on the colors you are going to use and pattern as well as where they are in spraying those on their schedule. When I got a P1 frame that was the case anyway, but that's several years ago.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks...
    Hey!

1) Frames can very on the paint job and amount of orders currently on the queue. ICON takes the longest to paint as 1 painter will spend about 22 hours making the paint job perfect. But average is 10-15 for a frameset.

2) You can have the Trek logo "hidden" but only on one paint option. It is the Solid Minimalist Logo offered in 3 colors options with unique raised, color-matched logos on the downtube for a subtle, tone on tone appearance. Finished in a Full Matte Clearcoat.

3) eTAP will pair great with the Emonda.

4) Largest tires possible are 28mm.

5) That would be up to preference - but I really have been enjoying my Speed Stop Pros on my Emonda SLR build. I compared them to EEs and went for them because you get equal weight and power distribution, but the cost is better for the Speed Stop Pros!

6) Actually any brake will, but only if you are turning over 90 degrees (which you'll never do while riding unless you love having your body on the ground, ouch). Contact point for the Speed Stop Pros are about 100-115 degrees before contact on the drive side where it is at the highest for the cable pull.

Hope that helps!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Actually, any brake will, but only if you are turning over 90 degrees (which you'll never do while riding unless you love having your body on the ground, ouch). Contact point for the Speed Stop Pros are about 100-115 degrees before contact on the drive side where it is at the highest for the cable pull.

Hope that helps!
    A scenario close to the above is when you stop on the wide right shoulder and turn out to take on some water and GUI. You put your sunglasses on one of the cables to see what you are doing. While stopped your wheel is turned pretty sharp to the left. Then having finished hydrating and nourishing you push off and having forgotten about your sunglasses they have slipped down the cable to where they jam the wheel from turning back right thereby guarantee as you start up you make a sharp downhill left to go blind into traffic in the lane. You have to allow yourself to fall clipped in to stop going in the lane. Bruise, pain and laceration city follows. This all happens in a couple of seconds.

Upon pulling yourself together you hope to God that no one in the cars including the many that stopped to check on you knows or recognizes you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the feedback Mitch and others. I am working on my paint scheme now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the feedback Mitch and others. I am working on my paint scheme now.
    Happy to help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast