Top Cap Torque?

Thread: Top Cap Torque?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

Top Cap Torque?

Hey guys,

I want to flip the stem on my Madone 4.5 and I don't know the torque spec for tightening the top cap?

Any ideas? I know most here are riding 5/6 series with different headsets, but would there be a difference?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Probably just a few inch pounds. You're just preloading the bearings. If I recall correctly, Chris King specifies something like 10-12 in/lbs.

- Chris

zac
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't torque the top cap. Instead try this:
    -loosen the stem bolts completely.
    -With the bike firmly on the ground with both wheels on, straddle it and align your stem/bars.
    -Now lightly tighten the top cap bolt while gently rocking the bars/fork with the front brake closed on the wheel. Tighten the top cap just enough to hold the steerer so that no play is evident.
    -Now tighten down the stem bolts just barely enough to hold the bars/stem in alignment.
    -Back to the top cap: snug it down a bit more as suggested this is light no more than 1 or 2 Nm (or as Chris said 10-12in-lbs.
    -Now back to the stem bolts, loosen them slightly and retorque to spec. (should be on your stem 6-9 Nm or thereabouts.)

First couple of rides, recheck the headset and make sure no play is evident. If good, thereafter periodically check the headset for play.

HTH
    zac