Trek Emonda 2021 - ALR or SL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2020

Trek Emonda 2021 - ALR or SL

Hi There

From Switzerland and looking to change my 5 years old Canyon Endurace AL 6.0, the Trek Emonda seems to me to hit the right spot.

The budget is what it is and the max I could afford is the SL 5. Maybe the SL 6 but the I donít really see the benefit of the Ultegra groupset over 105.

Another solution is to buy the ALR 5 or 6 and add a good set of wheels, like the Zipp 303s or DT Swiss ARC 1100.

The open point for me is to understand if the carbon frame is really better than the aluminium one? And if yes, how and why?

Cheers folks

Sam

Neophyte
    For road/gravel, I ride 3 main bikes. 2 are aluminum and 1 is carbon. I think they are all great bikes, personally don't feel much ride difference between them if at all.

On a good day I can set a PR on my aluminum road bike even though it's alloy and 8 years older than my carbon bike.

But in your case... I believe the Emonda is supposed to be a first-rate climbing bike which should be light... so almost certainly the carbon one fits that bill better. Yeah, the components and wheels offset that... but your next upgrade down the line could be wheels. There are always good deals to be found.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2020
    Thanks for your answer

As you, i dont care about the frame material. The ride characteristics, the ride feeling I should say as the weight, is more important to me.

The aluminium frame is lighter than the carbon OCLV 500 one ... if itís more aerodynamic (but at my speed and Iím not riding at 40 km/h) or more comfortable, then Iíll take it.

Iím riding mostly on ondulated, wavy roads and sometimes goes for a big alpine ride. And I want just a bike to ride everywhere, anytime.