vintage 1984 trek 610 priceless?

May 2008

Question vintage 1984 trek 610 priceless?

I have an immaculate trek 610 w/600 components,avenir computer,normandy hubs,vetta gel-seat that Im not sure I can part with without really having got to ride it?though I am curious as to what the market would bring. Are there any vintage experts out there with an opinion? Jim

zac
    RoadBikeReview Member
    vintage-trek.com may be able to help

But I'm sorry to say Jim, probably not priceless. Just maybe to you, which is all that should matter. The older machines last forever. Trek made quality and was very underappreciated in the early years. These machines are made to be ridden.

But give that website a visit: You could easily spend several hours over at vintage-trek. It is a great site and the owner has some truly unique information about vintage treks.

Post some pictures, would love to see it.

HTH
    zac

May 2008

priceless?

]thanks for the info. Zac, I'll try to put some pictures up.but Im somewhat computer illiterate. both my computer and I still have tubes.

zac
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jims.
    ]thanks for the info. Zac, I'll try to put some pictures up.but Im somewhat computer illiterate. both my computer and I still have tubes.
    Hell forget the Trek, a computer with tubes...now that's priceless!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I have the same model Trek blue and yellow, got it at Hawaii Island Creations in Kailua.
    in 1984

May 2008
    nice! how many miles have you put on it? I,m going to try and put my pictures on again,(with less resolution)

RoadBikeReview Member
    FWIW, here's a pic of my '85 Trek 760. Campy Victory groupo, Mavic GP4 tubular rims. I picked it up for $195 on an Ebay auction about 3 years ago. The bike looked really bad in the photos. I was the only bidder and won it for the starting bid.

When I got the bike, it was covered in mud and grime. I figured it would be a good idea to wash it down if only to avoid contaminating the solvent when I started tearing it down. Lo and behold: underneath the caked mud was a nearly perfect paint job.

This is #2 of three mid-80's Treks I own. I recently picked up a Mylanta-green Trek 770 with full Campy Super Record. It's scheduled as my next rebuild.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill in Pasadena

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oops, Wolber Aspin rims, I mean.
    Bill in Pasadena

May 2008

vintage 1984trek 610

sorry,these picts took so long,
    Attached Images Attached Images

May 2008
    bill, nice looking bike ! It looks like you have a kevlar front tire, and a standard back tire, same as my 610.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jimmy:

The bike's riding on Vittoria Kevlar Competition Rally tubulars, front and rear. Got 'em super-cheap at Probikekit.com. They don't ride as nice as Corsa CX tubulars, though.
    Bill in Pasadena

May 2008
    My mistake bill, I really should be in the beginners corner, I,m new to cycling,...Although I did pick -up my trek 610 at a yardsale for forty dollars, which I think was smart.JIm from mass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    O.K., Jim: first off, get that saddle level; you'll thank me. While you're at it, level the bars, too (bottom of the drops should be parallel with the top tube or tilted down slightly). Lower the bike stem and raise the seatpost. Actually, if you're planning on keeping the bike, get yourself fit at your local bike shop.

Finally (just MHO), get rid of the pie plate. Nothing signifies "beginner" more than a bike with a pie plate. Pie plates are for pies, not rear wheels. Check out BikeSnob's critique:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008...out-spoke.html
    Bill in Pasadena

May 2008
    thanks for the advice bill, should I put the pie plate aside as part of the original components, or should I just fling it into the atlantic ocean...? Jim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jim:

Just hang it in your garage. You never can tell when you need an extra pie plate.
    Bill in Pasadena