$500 for a wheelset upgrade - need suggestions
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: gb155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    102

    $500 for a wheelset upgrade - need suggestions

    I have a set of Ksyrium equip's on my carbon road bike , I like them a lot, but I've got $500 to spend on upgrading it and was wondering if that $509 would buy me much more than what I currently have ?

    If so what would your suggestions be ?
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Now....Get My Life Back

    December 2007 - 39 Stone 11 Lbs
    March 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 14851 Miles

    http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/
    Now the hard work starts.

  2. #2
    A wheelist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,321
    Quote Originally Posted by gb155 View Post
    I have a set of Ksyrium equip's on my carbon road bike , I like them a lot, but I've got $500 to spend on upgrading it and was wondering if that $509 would buy me much more than what I currently have ?
    If so what would your suggestions be ?
    For $500 I'll take these (with the Podium build which gives Sapim CX-Ray spokes) anyday over those Mavics. Reasons -

    • Non proprietary spokes (easier to get and lots cheaper).
    • Lighter (mine weight 1410g...the newer ones list at 1405g)
    • The rear hub can have its ratchety bits lubed in under 60 seconds and all four bearings replaced in 10 minutes with no special tools and no returning to the factory.
    • Those guys build 'em right first time too.


    What do you weigh anyway? I'm 170 and mine have taken some big hits. The BWW boys list 'em for under 195lbs I think.
    .

  3. #3
    Online Wheel Builder
    Reputation: Zen Cyclery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,213
    I agree with Mike T. You can do much better than the Mavics for the price. I do however differ with him on the choice of hubs in those wheels. Similar rims/spokes laced up to some Shimano DA hubs would be worth looking at. With either Mr. Ts suggestion or mine you will be getting much better value for the money your spending than with the Mavics.

  4. #4
    A wheelist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    I agree with Mike T. You can do much better than the Mavics for the price. I do however differ with him on the choice of hubs in those wheels. Similar rims/spokes laced up to some Shimano DA hubs would be worth looking at. With either Mr. Ts suggestion or mine you will be getting much better value for the money your spending than with the Mavics.
    Wheels with DA hubs are out of his price range. The BWW boys want $750 for those wheels -

    Bicycle Wheel Warehouse - Blackset Race - Shimano Dura-Ace

    And I have both hubsets - yep the DA are "better"* but not $250 better. As I've proved and others that have those hubs, for the $ they're good enough.

    * How do we define "better"?
    .

  5. #5
    On the wrong floor again
    Reputation: takl23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,133
    I would recommend Boyd wheels never heard a bad word and their customer service is fantastic.
    "I swear to god, if you wreck this airplane I'll help you pay the deductable but I'm not touching the yoke again"

    Quote Originally Posted by Qstick333 View Post
    I just got an email from her saying..."don't worry, they were store bought. a$$hole."
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Rouge View Post
    Indeed it is. Nothing left of the horse but a sun-bleached skeleton, and still the beating goes on.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    87
    Shimano RS80s would be a good bet at that price.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: nightfend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by gb155 View Post
    I have a set of Ksyrium equip's on my carbon road bike , I like them a lot, but I've got $500 to spend on upgrading it and was wondering if that $509 would buy me much more than what I currently have ?

    If so what would your suggestions be ?
    I disagree with other posters. For $500 I don't think you'll find another wheelset (unless it is on sale) that will be noticeably better than what you have. You might as well save the money for other things.

    Unless you just need a second wheelset, then definitely go the handbuilt route.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: terbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,390
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfend View Post
    I disagree with other posters. For $500 I don't think you'll find another wheelset (unless it is on sale) that will be noticeably better than what you have. You might as well save the money for other things.

    Unless you just need a second wheelset, then definitely go the handbuilt route.
    I disagree with the first part. 200+ grams is quite a bit. Gruppos don't differentiate by that much. Those BWW wheels are worth the cost and you should notice a diffence in ride quality too. A wheel with non proprietary parts is always better. At $500, practicality is key. That makes some wheels superior to others, You're right about going custom build though.

  9. #9
    Eli
    Eli is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19
    I have no idea what your goal is but I just bought the parts to build myself a wheelset in this price range. Here is what I went with.
    Campagnolo Record Hubs
    DT Swiss RR-415 rims
    DT Swiss Supercomp Spokes.

    This should be a smooth rolling wheelset that should last for years. And they are reasonably light too.

  10. #10
    The Pb Torpedo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    172
    gb155 - I'm so impressed with your weight loss, way to go!

    I join those saying not to bother upgrading your wheels.

    Admittedly I have not ridden many different wheels, so I do not have my own set of subjective impressions of how they feel.

    But yesterday I cured myself of the wheel upgrade itch by doing some basic physics calculations. For someone weighing 10 stone, a modest wheel upgrade might save about 1/2 to 1% in energy while accelerating, and less for a bigger rider; going uphill the advantage will be proportional to the weight loss (so a one pound lighter wheelset will help about 1/2% for a 200 pound rider+bike, a bit more for a lighter rider).

    For me, weighing in at 13 stone and not riding competitively, it just doesn't make rational sense to upgrade wheels - especially when the house wheels that came with the bike (2011 Scott CR1 Comp), while not glamorous, have stayed nice and true over their first 1000 miles.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: gb155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfeng View Post
    gb155 - I'm so impressed with your weight loss, way to go!

    I join those saying not to bother upgrading your wheels.

    Admittedly I have not ridden many different wheels, so I do not have my own set of subjective impressions of how they feel.

    But yesterday I cured myself of the wheel upgrade itch by doing some basic physics calculations. For someone weighing 10 stone, a modest wheel upgrade might save about 1/2 to 1% in energy while accelerating, and less for a bigger rider; going uphill the advantage will be proportional to the weight loss (so a one pound lighter wheelset will help about 1/2% for a 200 pound rider+bike, a bit more for a lighter rider).

    For me, weighing in at 13 stone and not riding competitively, it just doesn't make rational sense to upgrade wheels - especially when the house wheels that came with the bike (2011 Scott CR1 Comp), while not glamorous, have stayed nice and true over their first 1000 miles.


    I think you hit the nail on the head, I also like the look of the ksyrium wheels too- so thanks all but I'll stick !
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Now....Get My Life Back

    December 2007 - 39 Stone 11 Lbs
    March 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 14851 Miles

    http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/
    Now the hard work starts.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: nightfend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,585
    I think that's a good choice. When the Ksyriums start wearing out, or you get sick of them, you can always look for replacements.

Similar Threads

  1. saddle upgrade suggestions
    By jaydub_u in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 08:44 AM
  2. Upgrade suggestions!
    By christocyclist in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 06:14 PM
  3. bike upgrade, any suggestions?
    By swimmincg in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:18 PM
  4. upgrade suggestions
    By nathanmixon in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 05:59 AM
  5. Upgrade Suggestions
    By witcomb in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 06:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.