2 wheels, same brand (American Classic), same hubs and same price... which to get?

Nov 2004

2 wheels, same brand (American Classic), same hubs and same price... which to get?

Hey guys,

I have a deal for either the American Classic Sprint 350 or the CR-420... below are the specs...

AM Sprint 350
    1350gms
    28H Front & 32H Rear
    24mm rim depth
    05 AM hubs
    Standard non-aero spokes (DT)
    $450

AM CR-420
    1520gms
    20H Front & 24H Rear
    34mm rim depth
    05 AM Hubs
    Aero spokes (DT)
    $450

Given the above specs, which wheel will you guys get?... the weight weenie devil in me is telling to get the sprint so that i can have bragging rights of owning a sub 16 pounder but the rational side of me tells me that the cr420 will prolly hold up better to abuse and the it will be a slightly faster wheelset due to its aero features...

Any of you guys have any experiences with either of the wheelsets?...

Nov 2004
    How much do you weigh? The AC wheelsets are known to be quite flexy and not really suited for riders who weigh more than 65 kilos.

Nov 2004
    oops... forgot to put my weight.. i weigh 65-67kg... wheels are supposedly rated for riders up to 80kg by the manufacturer... .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

I have 2 sets of ACs and like my 420s the best.

My 420s are the standard build, non-aero spokes, and my other set are Velocity Areoheads with the same spokes they put into the "standard" AC 350s. I weigh 175lbs. and don't have any problems with either set. However, the 420s are much stiffer than the AC/Aerohead and I expect you will find the same to be true with the 350s compared to 420s. The bladed spokes would likely make them stiffer than the 420s I have.
    I live only 45 miles from Tampa, FL where AC is located and my LBS owner sells a lot of AC wheels. Of my regular ride group, I think 4 have 420s and the same number are on 350s. No complaints from anyone.

Cat Herder

I ride a set of AC350's as my daily hoops, 28F/28R Sapim, Veloflex Pave tires (or tyres), at around 115PSI (weigh 165), LOVE THEM.

Nov 2004
    I have a pair of AC 350's with Sapim 32/32. Wheels are very stiff for my weight. I weigh 180lbs. Love them. These are my daily riders too. as far a bragging rights the 350's are the ones to have. They put my Sworks in at 14.56lbs and if your are in a group ride the 420's aero benefit are much less. 420's good for solo efforts and time trials.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Ridden both, I think the 420's are the better wheels- especially with the bladed spokes, they will be stiff and decently aero, while still being light.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
    Just wondering...where can you get those at that price? The 420's look rather attractive for that!
    Ride in Peace....Enjoy every sandwich......Mike

Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bykn
    Just wondering...where can you get those at that price? The 420's look rather attractive for that!
    Oh... forgot to mention that I am not a westerner.. I live in Singapore where bike parts can be really cheap since I am closer to taiwan where bulk of the parts in the cycling world is manufactured... The AM CR420 will cost me S$450 here... most of the taiwanese/shimano parts here are 'dirt cheap' by comparision to wat u all pay for them in the west....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MerckxTeamSC
    Oh... forgot to mention that I am not a westerner.. I live in Singapore where bike parts can be really cheap since I am closer to taiwan where bulk of the parts in the cycling world is manufactured... The AM CR420 will cost me S$450 here... most of the taiwanese/shimano parts here are 'dirt cheap' by comparision to wat u all pay for them in the west....
    one Singaporean to another, unless (actually, even if) you're riding up Mount Faber every day (everyone else, that's the hardest climb in the country, but that really, really isn't saying very much), get the 420s. most likely, most of the riding you'll do is on the flats. light is not going to help there.
    bike parts can be really cheap in Asia - I got a pair of R540 SPD SL pedals for US$45 without shopping around much. on the other hand, stuff that is made solely in the US, like Speedplay pedals, Oakleys, or Apple computers, is at a premium.