40th Birthday upgrade
    RoadBikeReview Member

40th Birthday upgrade

So, I was thinking, a gift for me, something cool, that I do not need, that I would never buy otherwise. some new wheels.

Some facts
    Bike: Look 566
    Rider: 190lbs (down from 274lbs since I started riding)
    Riding: Road for training, Fixie for fun, raced CX this year and MTB Hard from May to September with some races thrown in.
    I average between 200 and 300 miles a month on the road bike
    Riding Area: East Bay, CA. Mt. Diablo, Calavaras, delta flats, Oakland hills, everywhere from Martinez to Livermore.
    Road conditions are pretty good in these parts. Lots of debris in the delta, hard on tires, but not bad on rims.
    Best rides: Livermore, up Mines road to climb back side of Hamilton. 97 miles, 8000+ climbing. And of course the loop around Lake Tahoe
    Normal group ride: Good group, mostly flat with some rollers, 25-26mph pacelines.
    Budget: even though it is my 40th, I am still a teacher, so under 1000 bucks.
    Current Wheels: Fulcrum Racing 7's.

Desires in a wheel: Some bling factor, an upgrade to my current wheels, Carbon?

The first sets that really caught my eye were the SRAM S40's and Reynolds Assaults.

Even though this is a frivolous gift, is carbon wheels to frivolous?

Anyway, hate to do a "what should I buy thread" but I am entitled to one every few years I imagine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Token T50 Tubular Carbon 50mm wheels. Ceramic Bearings, CX-ray bladed spokes, just under 1400 grams. Sweet deal at $950 regularly on e-bay. If you get the "red" edition they definately have bling factor.