Adapter available?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Adapter available?

I haven’t seen any recent threads about this so I’ll ask here:

I haven an Open Up Classic which has a fork compatible with 15x100 TA. I saw a set of wheels that I am interested in with Industry 9 hub but compatible with 12x100 TA. I have heard that hubs like i9 and DT Swiss can be used with either 12 or 15 mm TA IF you have the “right” end caps. Do you guys know if this is possible. I’d prefer not to have to get a new fork just to fit these wheels.

TIA.
    EyeGuy

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Have you looked at the I9 site? There's a massive selection of end caps. I can't imagine they don't make what you need.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Have you looked at the I9 site? There's a massive selection of end caps. I can't imagine they don't make what you need.
    Thnx. I called them and found out that end caps are available! I can purchase 15 mm road end caps to replace the 12 mm end caps...and then would be able to use the wheel set with my current fork. $30 for two end caps.
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    So all you need is end caps for a conversion? Do hub manufacturers generally make these?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    So all you need is end caps for a conversion? Do hub manufacturers generally make these?
    For most conversions, yes. DT does it for most. You can change axle formats for front and rear hubs if you don't need to go from non-Boost to Boost or back. There are other manufacturers that do it, but definitely not all. DT and I9 probably have the most options.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Depending on what standard you are changing to, and the hub it may just be end-caps--or it may be the hub axle too.

High end hubs..generally, yes. For example OTTOMH: DT, King, i9, Onyx, White CLD and XMR. Extreme low-end like Novatec/Bitex too....everything in between is a crapshoot...factory/OEM wheels--also a crapshoot.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    For most conversions, yes. DT does it for most. You can change axle formats for front and rear hubs if you don't need to go from non-Boost to Boost or back. There are other manufacturers that do it, but definitely not all. DT and I9 probably have the most options.
    Would it be possible with any Shimano hubs?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Would it be possible with any Shimano hubs?
    None that I know of. Might be able to do complete axle swaps on some of the new hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    None that I know of. Might be able to do complete axle swaps on some of the new hubs.
    OK, thanks. I wasn't sure. From what I can see, there is only one 12mm TA hub set made by Shimano - the RS770. It is apparently Ultegra level which is good enough for me. I built a wheelset with these last year and so far, so good.

Shimano has more choices for 15mm TA hub sets under the mountain bike category.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    OK, thanks. I wasn't sure. From what I can see, there is only one 12mm TA hub set made by Shimano - the RS770. It is apparently Ultegra level which is good enough for me. I built a wheelset with these last year and so far, so good.

Shimano has more choices for 15mm TA hub sets under the mountain bike category.
    An option for using Shimano 15mm hubs with 12mm forks is to sleeve the thru axle. Get a 12mm ID/15mm OD aluminum tube (not hard to find) and simply put that into the hub prior to installing the thru axle.

The caveat is that some 12mm forks have a "nest" (for lack of a better word) detent where the axle ends fit into. I forget the exact standard dimension but it's 2mm smaller than the axle end diameter of a 15mm hub. So if your fork has that nest, you can't do this.

It's a mystery to me why Shimano offers no adaptability to their hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    An option for using Shimano 15mm hubs with 12mm forks is to sleeve the thru axle. Get a 12mm ID/15mm OD aluminum tube (not hard to find) and simply put that into the hub prior to installing the thru axle.

The caveat is that some 12mm forks have a "nest" (for lack of a better word) detent where the axle ends fit into. I forget the exact standard dimension but it's 2mm smaller than the axle end diameter of a 15mm hub. So if your fork has that nest, you can't do this.

It's a mystery to me why Shimano offers no adaptability to their hubs.
    Thanks Dave!

It's also a mystery why Shimano only offers one 12mm TA hub set.