advise

Thread: advise

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

advise

I'm looking to build a winter wheel set using ultegra 6600 hubs 28h f&r that I have, sapim race spokes, brass nipples. radial f,2 cross r. 190lbs, spinner not a masher, recreational rider on fairly decent roads.Here's my question, I want to use either Kinlin XR19W rims or DT Swiss RR 415 that I can get for a good price. Trying to stay cheap but something that will hold up. or should I go kinlin xr-270? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Winter wheels for 190lbs? I would go with heavier rims than the two you mentioned. The goal of winter wheels should be "reliability" and the Kinlin XR19W rims and DT Swiss RR 415 rims are very light, especially for 190lbs and for 28/28 too. IMO you should pass on these rims and consider rims in the 450-500 gram range.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rlrj View Post
    I'm looking to build a winter wheel set using ultegra 6600 hubs 28h f&r that I have, sapim race spokes, brass nipples. radial f,2 cross r. 190lbs, spinner not a masher, recreational rider on fairly decent roads.Here's my question, I want to use either Kinlin XR19W rims or DT Swiss RR 415 that I can get for a good price. Trying to stay cheap but something that will hold up. or should I go kinlin xr-270? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Being a 190 lbs recreational riderlooking for something that will hold up you are pushing the envelope with the xtra-light weight rims. The Kinlin 270 is the most appropriatte of the bunch you listed and the 279 would be better from the Kinlin line-up. I would not do radial lacing on the front 'cause I'm not sure the 6600 flanges could take the load; furthermore, the aesthetic effect from the radial lacing is kind'a lost with 28 spokes but that's subjective. 2x all around for 28 spokes is tried and trued.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I know, my brain was telling me these are light weight and probably not a good match, but my wallet was saying these are cheap (I found a set of each locally $30, 40 craigslist) this is a first wheel set build for me, what rims build easy with the components I selected.? I'm not changing the hubs because I have them already. Trying to stay between $100-150 total.I'm going to get the spokes and nipples at BHS and still looking for rims in my budget. I don't want to get to crazy price wise on the rims being a 1st build I'm sure there is going to be some trial and error in the process.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    2x all around would be fine. The 279 is a wide rim right? are there any tire mounting issues? I have a set of Pacenti sl23 wheelset now and dread getting a winter flat. Mounting the tire in the summer heat was about as much fun with that as I can handle. They are 20 radial f and 28 2x r and have held up fine and have stayed true since July, its just mounting a tire thats not fun . I'm running with tubes and stans tape.

grizzly moderator
    The 279 is 23x28mm but more expensive than the 200. The 300 is at the same price point as the 200 and is between the 270 and 279 strength wise.
    I am not aware of tire mounting issues with the 279.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    I would not do radial lacing on the front 'cause I'm not sure the 6600 flanges could take the load
    When I radially spoked my recent Dura-Ace front hub I found a Shimano chart that gave all their hubs that were ok for radial. I don't remember whether the 6600 in question was on that chart but the chart isn't impossible to find. It's probably in with the Shimano product info sheets on their site. I agree that 2x all round would be perfect for the OP though.

As for the OP's query on "what rims?", I'd suggest he talk to Brandon at BHS and ask his opinion.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    I'm going to get the spokes and nipples at BHS
    Consider getting the Round PolyAx nipple washers from BHS too. I used them on my last wheelset and I was impressed. They make a smoother surface than the bare rim hole and spread the nipple pressure over a greater area. There has to be benefits to this. They added a whopping 9 grams total (!!) to my 24/28 spoke wheels (4f, 5r). Make sure you have a few extras as you might lose a couple, as I did.

I included their thickness in my spoke length calculations.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    are ultegra hubs available in 28 spoke drilling?

AFAIK, they only available in 32 or 36 spoke drillings
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    they are older,FH-6600 rear hub HB-6600 front hub that I saved from a wheelset that was ruined in an accident. my son backed the car out with the bike leaning on the back after a ride. funny now, not then .lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    are ultegra hubs available in 28 spoke drilling?

AFAIK, they only available in 32 or 36 spoke drillings

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    When I radially spoked my recent Dura-Ace front hub I found a Shimano chart that gave all their hubs that were ok for radial. I don't remember whether the 6600 in question was on that chart but the chart isn't impossible to find. It's probably in with the Shimano product info sheets on their site.
    That's good to know; I'll look for it.

Incidentally, I have found the Shimano published dimension data on their hubs full of innacuracies; at least for the 6700 it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    just an update, I found a 20h xr-270 rim and a 28h xr-300 both for $40, talked to Brandon at BHS bought his front hub f125 so I'll be able to lace radially, spokes, nipples, unior spoke wrench needed a good one and still stayed under budget. I'm going to copy the lacing pattern of my pacenti set radial front, 2 cross rear. so far so good.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    just an update, I found a 20h xr-270 rim and a 28h xr-300 both for $40, talked to Brandon at BHS bought his front hub f125 so I'll be able to lace radially, spokes, nipples, unior spoke wrench needed a good one and still stayed under budget. I'm going to copy the lacing pattern of my pacenti set radial front, 2 cross rear. so far so good.
    Sounds good. Those will be a pair of sturdy rims but not boat-anchor heavy. Me, I would have gone with more spokes for the front but you should be fine. That's a nice spoke wrench too and it's what I'm now using and my favorite.

Let us know if we can help further.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    thanks for the advise so far I'll be sure to take you up on that if I need more help .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Sounds good. Those will be a pair of sturdy rims but not boat-anchor heavy. Me, I would have gone with more spokes for the front but you should be fine. That's a nice spoke wrench too and it's what I'm now using and my favorite.

Let us know if we can help further.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Just an update, built the wheels over the weekend, the front radial lacing was pretty straight forward, the rear I had to re-lace and then everything was fine. Listen to Mike T.'s words of advise " Care and Passion" and most importantly Patience.Pretty close to being true on the bike, I dropped them off at the LBS to make sure everything was fine. After just a quick check in the truing stand, they were slightly off true and dish but they said for a first build really very close. Stayed under $175 including the LBS charge $20 per wheel and spoke wrench so pretty happy over all.
    Attached Images Attached Images