• 08-12-2014
    MJCBH
    Aerodynamics - rim depth vs. rim width
    So with the recent hype of wider wheels being more "aero and stable in cross-winds, etc", what do you think is more aerodynamic (assuming equal conditions) - a rim that is slightly more shallow but wider vs a narrower rim that is deeper. Specifically, For an upcoming race I'm trying to decide between a Hed Jet 6 (wider 23mm rim) vs a Zipp 808 (non-firecrest model so it's not as wide).
  • 08-13-2014
    Mr645
    I went with the Shimano C50. Wide profile, 50mm obviously. I have been surprised by the fact that they do help me in windy conditions, about 3 minutes per hour, and I have not noticed any effects from strong crosswinds. I think Shimano got the shape right.
  • 08-13-2014
    kbiker3111
    Depends on the tire width and type. The older 808s will need narrower tires to be as aero as the Jets. If you're running wider tires go with the Jets. Otherwise its pretty close.
  • 08-13-2014
    looigi
    FWIW: Much of the improvement in insensitivity to crosswinds comes from the rim having a blunt inner edge more like the blunt edge formed by the tire. This makes the portion of the wheel behind the axle have similar aerodynamics and experience similar side-force to the portion of the wheel in front of the axle.
  • 08-13-2014
    Jay Strongbow
    Go with the ones you are most comfortable riding. The aero difference, whatever that might be, isn't going to change how you do in the race.
  • 08-13-2014
    stevesbike
    the Jets beat the 808s according to both companies published aero data.
  • 08-13-2014
    steelbikerider
  • 08-13-2014
    berserk87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Go with the ones you are most comfortable riding. The aero difference, whatever that might be, isn't going to change how you do in the race.

That's what I'm thinking. Either wheel will work just fine.

I've done a good bit of racing and TT's over the years. Never heard anyone (yet) say "I would have won if I made a better front wheel choice".