Affordable Wheel Sources
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Affordable Wheel Sources

Many of the affordable wheel lines seem to be offering quality builds at a sub $500 price point. Williams, Neuvation, Bicycle Wheel Warehouse, and even ROL (although their pricepoints are closer to $600). Most of their reviewers give credibility to quality service when issues arise. However, as reassuring as it is to know you have access to great service, I don't want to ever need it...

Is anything left to be desired from their affordable sub 1600 gram wheel builds? Are their house-hubs/rims investment worthy? I would rather buy "quality" once (at any price low-high), than to buy multiple replacements several times, and wasting time waiting for UPS to show up.

Also, I may be RBR-challenged, but I cannot find many reviews for BWW wheels. Does anybody use them? If so, experiences...?

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyweight
    BWW wheels. Does anybody use them? If so, experiences...?
    Five sets of BWW wheels have arrived at my place over the past 18 months - 3 sets for me and 2 sets for someone I mechanic for. Two of those sets were mtb wheels and the road sets were -

• OP rims/Ultegra hubs/Comp spokes. On my cx dirt road bike.
    • OP rims/Dura Ace hubs/Comp spokes. On my road bike.
    • BWW 'Race' wheels - in-house rims and hubs, 24/28, custom spoked with Rev spokes on 3 sides, Comp spokes on DS rear. Normal BWW Race wheels weigh 1421 grams; these with the Rev spokes weigh 1371 grams. These last wheels are for a lady who weighs around 100lbs (that's my assumption as we don't ask ladies about their weight do we?). She's used them for lots of training since early summer and some road racing.

All those BWW wheelsets have been just fine - no truing/tensioning has been needed. I got to check those 'Race' wheels just last week and they were perfect. All the wheels have aluminum nipples.

I'm hankerin' after a set of their Race wheels myself - but with CX-Ray spokes, 24/28h. I weigh 165.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

Performance vs. Reliability/Durability

Personally, I think too many people worry more about a light-weight wheel than having a properly built wheel than can stand up to a day-in-day-out beating on the road.

A Porsche is indeed designed to be high performance, but it inherantly requires a higher level of mainainance, sure it may handle all you can throw at it on a racetrack, but I wouldn't recommend driving it on Brooklyn roads everyday for 10 years. The Space Shuttle is designed to deal with the rigors of launching into space, space flight and re-entry; but it also needs a complete overhaul everytime it returns to Earth.

When wheels are built with the primary goal of having a low weight, than some of the materials/design/methods that are typically used to add strenght & dudrability to it have to be sacraficed. (Of course, you can spend a load of $$$ to get both, but that's defeating the idea behing the OP). At a lower price point, I'd definatly be more interested in a heavier wheelset, if it's inexpensive and lightweight, that probably means something's missing...but that's just a personal opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

if you haven't heard THIS already....

Quote Originally Posted by pennyweight
    I would rather buy "quality" once (at any price low-high), than to buy multiple replacements several times, and wasting time waiting for UPS to show up.
    Your best bet is to have a set of wheels built for you. The quailty and choice of materials for the price you pay hands down give the best return-on-investment.