Are all rims ok for tubeless
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Are all rims ok for tubeless

I know you canít run non tubeless tires tubeless but Iím finding conflicting info as far rims go.

Can any clincher rim be setup to run tubeless tires?

Thanks
    Brian

'brifter' is a lame word.
    In the early days of tubeless there were no 'tubeless' rims, so yes...you can use regular rims. Not a good idea, but it should be possible. It's much safer to use a tubeless specific rim, OR a rim that can have a tubeless rim strip installed a la Bontrager. You'll be a LOT less likely to have a tire blow off, and it will be easier to get the tire mounted.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

changingleaf
    A regular rim that does not have a bead seat can be made tubeless, but is often more trouble than it's worth. Ideally a good tubeless rim will provide three things,
    1. Mount tires by hand (not many are good at this)
    2. Inflate with a floor pump (can depend on the tire and the rim)
    3. Tire stays seated when you let the air out.

A regular, non-tubeless rim will be good at the first, but will not provide 2 and 3 so tubeless setup is difficult. To set up a tire tubeless you want to first mount the tire and inflate it until it snaps into the bead seat of the rim. Then let the air out and remove the valve core and put sealant in through the valve core, then reinflate. Getting the tire to seat can be difficult so putting in the sealant first and trying to get the tire seated is often very messy with sealant spraying all over the place. So, the only way to do this neatly is with a rim designed for tubeless use.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    In the early days of tubeless there were no 'tubeless' rims, so yes...you can use regular rims. Not a good idea, but it should be possible. It's much safer to use a tubeless specific rim, OR a rim that can have a tubeless rim strip installed a la Bontrager. You'll be a LOT less likely to have a tire blow off, and it will be easier to get the tire mounted.
    Interesting, I did not know this about early tubeless.

Also did not realize RBR made the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubele...#Bicycle_tires

"Road tubeless is gaining popularity among riders for whom the benefits are worth the costs.[15]"

"road tubeless tires yea or nay". roadbikereview.com. Retrieved 2015-03-02.

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Iím fód.Ē

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmach View Post
    Can any clincher rim be setup to run tubeless tires?
    No. I have (among others) a set of Zipp 202s. NOT tubeless compatible, but fine with me as I've zero interest in tubeless road tires.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    No. I have (among others) a set of Zipp 202s. NOT tubeless compatible, but fine with me as I've zero interest in tubeless road tires.
    We mounted tubeless tires on regular clincher rims for years. It's possible but sucks for the reasons Pete listed above. At this point 'compatible' is the key word. I agree w/ you about not liking road tubeless.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks guys. I have a set of gp5000 on tubeless rims, they went on easy and inflated with a hand pump. I was thinking about mounting a pair on my other bike but Iím not going to buy another wheelset for that.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was an early tubeless adopter, in fact my wife is from Upstate NY, so on one of our trips to see her family I stopped by Stans and met the man himself. At the time he sold a TL kit to convert any road rim to tubeless that consisted of 2 TL Hutchinson tires, 2 valve stems, and rim tape, and being the nice guy that he is he sold me 2 tires and gave me the rest as well as some mounting tips.
    Used that kit on those old Bontrager XXX aero something or other in my race frame that couldn't fit 25's without hitting the chainstay so I used 23's as tubeless and really liked how they rode and never had a problem.
    Today I have bikes with and without tubeless, depends on my garage inventory.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!